LA Kings (vs Ducks?) Outdoor game next year...

RageATheM

So I've been hearing a couple rumours that LA might try to have an outdoor game on Hockey Day In America at Dodgers stadium and the rumoured opponent would be the Ducks. As a Ducks fan I think it would be amazing especially considering I'm planning my honeymoon around that time so would be a good start to it! Also the prospect of what jerseys they'd wear for the event would be awesome as well

I really want this to happen. I would really want to go but, I just wouldn't want to get stabbed at Chavez Ravine. It would be great for hockey in California.

I would LOVE if they wore the Wild Wing vs. Burger King!

They have had outdoor games in Vegas and Mexico City, it can be done, but personally I think it's kind of a dumb idea. It can happen but won't be good quality, look at the chippiness of the ice in places like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh when the temperatures were in the high 40s to mid 50s. Why do I want to watch two teams skate around in slush on a sunny day? Outdoor games are for cold places, period, sorry.

They have had outdoor games in Vegas and Mexico City, it can be done, but personally I think it's kind of a dumb idea. It can happen but won't be good quality, look at the chippiness of the ice in places like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh when the temperatures were in the high 40s to mid 50s. Why do I want to watch two teams skate around in slush on a sunny day? Outdoor games are for cold places, period, sorry.

As you mentioned the Kings and Rangers played a game in Vegas during the Gretzky era. It was 80 degrees!

I remember Gretzky saying the ice was actually in good condition.

I would imagine there have been some technological advances in ice refrigeration since then so I think it can be pulled off.

The game would also be played at night most likely.

If I recall correctly one of the cold weather cities that hosted a Winter Classic played the game on slushy ice so just because it is cold doesn't mean the ice will be good. As I mentioned before, just because it isn't freezing outside doesn't mean the ice will be bad.

Even though ESPN has a contract for the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium through 2015, the college conferences are currently only signed through the game in December 2013, which means it is entirely possible that in 2015 the Winter Classic can be at Yankee Stadium with the Rangers as the home team, if they take off from the college football game in December 2014.

Trust me, you don't want to be anywhere near Dodger Stadium unless you like getting stabbed.

How many games at Dodger Stadium have you been to?

http://riveraveblues.com/2013/04/report-yankee-stadium-is-the-preferred-venue-for-nhl-game-next-january-84751/

Report: Yankee Stadium is “preferred venue” for NHL game in JanuaryBy Mike Axisa

Via Helen Elliot: Yankee Stadium is the “preferred venue” for an outdoor NHL game on January 26th of next year. The NHL is hoping to play three outdoors games next winter — the scheduled Winter Classic in Michigan plus two others. Dodgers Stadium is the favorite to land the third game.

The Yankees have been trying to lure the Winter Classic — the NHL’s annual marquee/cash cow event — to the Bronx since the new Yankee Stadium opened in 2009, but scheduling conflicts with the Pinstripe Bowl have prevented it from happening. The Pinstripe Bowl contract doesn’t expire until 2015, but the Winter Classic is usually played right around New Year’s. The tentative late-January schedule of this game could make it possible. Either way, I’m totally there if it happens. (h/t Ryan Dadoun)

Perfect! I just got a connection to Yankee Stadium ticket sales this past month!

Hook a brother up, I need to get to Mo's farewell tour.

If they go with Wild Wing vs. Burger King, will that make the original CCM jerseys more or less desirable and which direction will the value of these jerseys be driven?

No chance this is happening for the game.