What a Joke... 6 Outdoor Games Next Year

dsl135

Mods, feel free to move this, but I figured it might be appropriate to go here...

The NHL will announce an "Outdoor Game Series" next year. 6 games in total.

https://twitter.com/LD10/status/324312365107671042/photo/1

Jan 1 - Toronto at Detroit (Michigan Stadium)

Jan 25 - Anaheim at LA (Dodger Stadium)

Jan 26 - New York Rangers at New Jersey (Yankee Stadium)

Jan 29 - New York Rangers at New York Islanders (Yankee Stadium)

Mar 1 - Pittsburgh at Chicago (Soldier Field)

Mar 2 - Ottawa at Vancouver (BC Place)

Complete joke if you ask me, and this will kill the idea.

Let alone, how stupid it is that Pittsburgh and NYR will be in their 3rd games... I mean if you're gonna do this many games in a year, at least bring in teams that haven't done it.

Ridiculous.

Bettman is like Oprah...

"You get an outdoor game! You get an outdoor game! Everybody gets outdoor games!"

Jersey sails are what make it worth it. Although not sure how i feel about 2 Rangers games. But think about it, each time with specialized jerseys for the game? I mean you guys go crazy over winter classic jerseys, television rights will also bring in cash. It does make a lot of sense, and if it means i get to see either Vancouver Skate jerseys or Millionaires jerseys on the ice again, i'll be happy.

I'm surprised the flyers are not in 3/4 of that list. It's a shame too because I seriously lover the winter classic doesn't matter who's in it. I went to the Boston wc and the one in Philly. Such a great day of hockey

I love the WC but now it cheapens the whole idea.

Complete joke if you ask me, and this will kill the idea.

Let alone, how stupid it is that Pittsburgh and NYR will be in their 3rd games... I mean if you're gonna do this many games in a year, at least bring in teams that haven't done it.

Ridiculous.

I understand they want to showcase big market teams but if they did one game on New Years Day it could be Columbus Vs Phx and it would still get ratings if done at the right venue.

Give us new teams.

Chicago, Detroit, Ny, Pitt have all done it.

Move on and put other teams out there.

Also, I liked it better when Canada had the Heritage Classic and the USA had the Winter Classic.

Now they're just messing it all up.

I'm surprised the flyers are not in 3/4 of that list. It's a shame too because I seriously lover the winter classic doesn't matter who's in it. I went to the Boston wc and the one in Philly. Such a great day of hockey

I went to both too, and had an absolute blast. But that's the thing, if this many games becomes a regular thing, you can almost count on the Flyers being in it every year, or at least every other year. The novelty will wear off, and it will become less fun.

I have enjoyed every Winter Classic, but even the year with the Heritage Classic I didn't watch the whole thing. The interest level will plummet, I can guarantee.

The very first one was the best. I was on the edge of my seat the whole game at home. I would of loved to been at Ralph Wilson stadium that day

The whole outdoor game idea was played out years ago. Every game after the original Heritage Classic has been a joke. No one cares anymore unless it's your team in it.

WOOHOOOOOOOO I can't wait to go to the Kings game and get a jersey!!!!

I like 1, didn't mind when they did the heritage so 2 worked. 6 is a bit overkill but I can get that the NHL has some revenue to make up from this year and this is probably their attempt at it. I agree it would also be nice to have new teams in it but they obviously will go for sure things, teams that will sell jerseys, teams that will sell advertising and teams that will draw TV interest. I do not agree that Columbus & Phoenix would succeed, I'm a huge hockey fan but wouldn't sit and watch that game just because it's a winter classic, and outside of hardcore collectors and fans of that team merchandise wouldn't move at all. You have to remember they need to feed to the masses, not us.

My take on 6 outdoor games:

-Pittsburgh should NOT be in one.

-Chicago should NOT host AGAIN.

-The NHL appears to fail to see that there are other teams located in climates where it snows/is cold during the winter that can participate, such as Minnesota, St. Louis, and Colorado.

-Will the NHL have the teams design special uniforms for these games? That has been the trend for the Winter Classic. But if you continue to add more outdoor games, it sort of takes away from the flair of the event. Over time there would be so many new jerseys it might seem pointless that a team would have to make a new one every 2 or 3 years for an outdoor game.

My take on 6 outdoor games:

-Pittsburgh should NOT be in one.

-Chicago should NOT host AGAIN.

-The NHL appears to fail to see that there are other teams located in climates where it snows/is cold during the winter that can participate, such as Minnesota, St. Louis, and Colorado.

-Will the NHL have the teams design special uniforms for these games? That has been the trend for the Winter Classic. But if you continue to add more outdoor games, it sort of takes away from the flair of the event. Over time there would be so many new jerseys it might seem pointless that a team would have to make a new one every 2 or 3 years for an outdoor game.

I don't think the NHL fails to see anything, I think the NHL just looks for $$$$$$. Chicago is one of the most popular teams in the country, watch all the away games and see what the stands look like in many places and who the cheers go for. They are also one of the most watched teams on the national broadcasts which is why they keep getting them (which as a fan I hate because that means no Pat Foley). It's a cash grab, and I'm sure the NHL realizes after losing half a season this is not the time to be taking risks. Minnesota, St Louis and to some extent the Av's would not do great on a national level and the local population is not all that huge. New York has millions, Chicago has millions and the Penguins have a huge fan base so it's a no brainer. The money the get comes more from the non jersey merchandise and advertising more than anything else, but there is the extra jersey dollars they'll bring in of course. The only real risk I see in the 6 is the Kings/Ducks game but even that doesn't seem all that risky. I'd love to see some new teams get into the fold but I get why the NHL is doing what they're doing this year, even if I personally find it dumb.

After the game last night, I was the one who broke the news of the Isles-Rangers to Matt Moulson. He didn't seem to believe me though. I told him TSN confirmed it and he said hopefully they are right and it will be cool to play.

As an Islander fan, Im glad I am included in this. It makes sense they have all 3 Metro-Area teams involved.

After the game last night, I was the one who broke the news of the Isles-Rangers to Matt Moulson. He didn't seem to believe me though. I told him TSN confirmed it and he said hopefully they are right and it will be cool to play.

As an Islander fan, Im glad I am included in this. It makes sense they have all 3 Metro-Area teams involved.

As a Ducks fan I'm happy to see the Ducks included as well, but am scared for the ice conditions. That being said, being on the east coast of Canada I never get to see any NHL games let alone Ducks, but I will be planning my honeymoon around the outdoor game :D

Having 6 in one year is a bit much but it'll spread to other cities much faster. Either way the games will sell out regardless if there were 6 or 10 games being played

They should play the cali game on synthetic ice...that might be cool. As much as I'm against multiple games I do think it makes tons of sense to try and utilize the ice they build, having a couple games at Yankee stadium does make sense from a financial side of things.

I don't think the NHL fails to see anything, I think the NHL just looks for $$$$$$. Chicago is one of the most popular teams in the country, watch all the away games and see what the stands look like in many places and who the cheers go for. They are also one of the most watched teams on the national broadcasts which is why they keep getting them (which as a fan I hate because that means no Pat Foley). It's a cash grab, and I'm sure the NHL realizes after losing half a season this is not the time to be taking risks. Minnesota, St Louis and to some extent the Av's would not do great on a national level and the local population is not all that huge. New York has millions, Chicago has millions and the Penguins have a huge fan base so it's a no brainer. The money the get comes more from the non jersey merchandise and advertising more than anything else, but there is the extra jersey dollars they'll bring in of course. The only real risk I see in the 6 is the Kings/Ducks game but even that doesn't seem all that risky. I'd love to see some new teams get into the fold but I get why the NHL is doing what they're doing this year, even if I personally find it dumb.

I completely see what you're saying. I just don't think it's fair to the other clubs and their fans that they do not have the opportunity to participate in these NHL signature events. There are clubs like St. Louis, San Jose, and Minnesota who have played well over the past few years. It's a nice reward to have them featured in these outdoor games. Shouldn't good play be rewarded (I know the same is true for teams like Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc.)? I believe the NHL would make the game even more appealing by allowing other teams to participate who have not previously.

But I do agree that the league is (unfortunately, IMO) concerned about $, drawing the best possible tv ratings, and promoting itself. It is a business.

I don't hate it, I feel like the event is a lot more popular in cities that have had it and this certainly expedites that process. Sure, there are some repeats, but let's not forget that these games are also money makers. They charge more than regular season games and have two, three, four and even five times the capacity at these facilities.

Honestly, having been to a couple of Winter Classics, I am not going to defend any tradition and sanctity of the event. It's a gimmick to promote the sport and nothing else, so why not suck its appeal dry? There's no special significance to the games and they are usually choppy as hell, even where the games are close/exciting.