Playoffs!

ZoomZoom18

Its almost that time of year again! So who does everyone think is going to be in the Stanley Cup playoffs this year? I hate to say it, but I'm not sure that the Avalanche are going to make it this time, dropping a game to the Canucks 3-0, with Calgary knocking off Minnesota tonight, I think they are now 7 points ahead.

So far I'm thinking the Canucks-Sabres will be the finalists. Any thoughts?

Its almost that time of year again! So who does everyone think is going to be in the Stanley Cup playoffs this year? I hate to say it, but I'm not sure that the Avalanche are going to make it this time, dropping a game to the Canucks 3-0, with Calgary knocking off Minnesota tonight, I think they are now 7 points ahead.

So far I'm thinking the Canucks-Sabres will be the finalists. Any thoughts?

As a Sabres fan I would like to see them in the Cup final against either the Canucks or Detroit. Watch out for Ottawa in the East though- those guys are playing like beasts. As much an East fan as I am, I am looking forward to catching the West playoffs- each of those teams are awesome and each series will probably be great. I think Colorado is too far behind at this point. They have a good young base going forward though.

Sabres play the way they finally did tonight and they're going to be the Eastern team. And hopefully champions.

Going with the recent trend of high seed in east vs. low seed in west.

That brings me to my pick:

2-New Jersey (Providing they win the division) vs. 6-San Jose Sharks (picked them last year and I'm giving them another go this might get swapped with MIN)

As much as I want to pick Buffalo too much has gone wrong for them in the playoffs for me to pick them.

I'm really excited to get to see Anaheim vs. San Jose next wednesday in Anaheim. That should be one heckuva matchup. Pittsburgh is getting hot at the right time. I was really hoping it was going to be the same with the Avalanche, but the Flames, they're gonna be tough.

I really want the Avs to make it, badly, but it's not looking good right now. The Avs are probably my guilty pleasure in the West. And Brilliant will appreciate this one; I totally fell back in love with the Rangers while sitting at home after surgery and watching every one of the last 6-7 Rangers games. I hadn't cheered for the Rangers since around 95-96, but aside from the obvious marquee players, I'm loving the way Betts, Cullen, Avery, Prucha, Hollweg, Callahan, Girardi, Ortmeyer, Pock and heck, even Orr, all chip in and make them a complete team. May not be the best, but prior to get beat down by Montreal, they certainly had turned it on at the right time and they looked solid all the way through, especially Lundqvist (prior to Montreal - which I hope, and expect, was just one down game). They're a super exciting team to watch this month, and I love their puck movement and chemistry on the PP. Getting Shanny back has been a boost too. I still root Sabres #1, but the Rangers have definitely moved into a much closer 2nd than any team had before. If my Sabres can't make it, maybe an underdog NYR can.

Atta boy!! Just what I want to hear from a fellow NY faithful! Let's just hope the Rangers and Sabres don't meet in the first round...because I'll be honest...I have a soft spot for the Sabres. I think it's those 3rd jerseys! But I really think that if the Rangers hold on to the six seed, that they can make some noise in the first round because they'll be playing a fairly weak Southeast division winner, whether it be Tampa or Atlanta. That's a series the Rangers can win.

Frankly, I think the 'Canes, Islanders and Lightning are all finished. I don't expect any of them to make the playoffs now. There's just too much going against them.

- Carolina can't beat Florida or Philly so how do they beat the better teams to actually get INTO the playoffs?

- The Islanders aren't gonna have DiPietro and if they somehow do, he won't be 100%. They're done without him.

- Tampa Bay just has absolutely no goaltending whatsoever. Denis and Holmqvist are not gonna carry you very far, even if they do have a scorching first line.

Toronto is playing a lot better now, so is Montreal. I think it'll end up being:

1. Buffalo

2. Pittsburgh(yes, that's my bold prediction)

3. Atlanta

4. Ottawa

5. New Jersey

6. New York

7. Montreal

8. Toronto

In the West, I see it looking like this:

1. Nashville

2. Anaheim

3. Vancouver

4. Detroit

5. Minnesota

6. Dallas

7. San Jose

8. Calgary

I think it's amazing that the Western Conference could end up having the top SEVEN teams with 100+ points. This year should definitely be fun. I can't wait.

Atta boy!! Just what I want to hear from a fellow NY faithful! Let's just hope the Rangers and Sabres don't meet in the first round...because I'll be honest...I have a soft spot for the Sabres. I think it's those 3rd jerseys! But I really think that if the Rangers hold on to the six seed, that they can make some noise in the first round because they'll be playing a fairly weak Southeast division winner, whether it be Tampa or Atlanta. That's a series the Rangers can win.

I want the Rangers to hold 6th because, you're right, that's a series they can (and should, in my opinion) win. I don't want them to play the Sabres in the first round, because I think, bearing a (possible) upset, the Sabres obviously win that one and I'd rather have my two favorite teams in it for longer than have one knock out the other in the first round. I've really had a Rangers revival this year though. So much that I'd consider a Betts or Cullen jersey, which can't be common, especially in authentics.

I really want the Avs to make it, badly, but it's not looking good right now. The Avs are probably my guilty pleasure in the West. And Brilliant will appreciate this one; I totally fell back in love with the Rangers while sitting at home after surgery and watching every one of the last 6-7 Rangers games. I hadn't cheered for the Rangers since around 95-96, but aside from the obvious marquee players, I'm loving the way Betts, Cullen, Avery, Prucha, Hollweg, Callahan, Girardi, Ortmeyer, Pock and heck, even Orr, all chip in and make them a complete team. May not be the best, but prior to get beat down by Montreal, they certainly had turned it on at the right time and they looked solid all the way through, especially Lundqvist (prior to Montreal - which I hope, and expect, was just one down game). They're a super exciting team to watch this month, and I love their puck movement and chemistry on the PP. Getting Shanny back has been a boost too. I still root Sabres #1, but the Rangers have definitely moved into a much closer 2nd than any team had before. If my Sabres can't make it, maybe an underdog NYR can.

I leave for my trip this afternoon, which also happens to be the day the Avs are in Phoenix to play the Coyotes again... I'm really bummed about having to miss that game. The last game they played was great! I thought they'd have a shot, but with getting beaten by Vancouver the other night, I think that's gonna about finish them, although they do still have two more games against the Flames coming. Oh well, the playoff streak has to come to an end sometime. I'm sticking to Anaheim as my choice in the West.

I still have a soft spot for the Sabres, so I'm really hoping they pull out the East, but wouldn't be disappointed seeing Pittsburgh do it either. I'm thrilled that Laraque got put on a good team. As long as someone beats the Thrashers or Canes, I'm a happy guy. The Rangers are definitely going to be a scary team come playoff time, they are getting hot at the right time.

I am really hoping the Canucks make it to the finals. They can do it, as long as there are no repeats of the second period against the Flames last night. As for the east I think it will be the Penguins.

I am really hoping the Canucks make it to the finals. They can do it, as long as there are no repeats of the second period against the Flames last night. As for the east I think it will be the Penguins.

I think the reason the Canucks might make it into the finals is due to their goaltending and I think the reason the Pens won't this year is because of their goaltending. I am a big MAF fan but he has been shaky this year and has only played well in spurts. I think Luongo is going to drive that team deep into the playoffs....

The only thing that doesn't hold water with me when it comes to the Canucks is this:

You know what that is? It's Roberto Luongo's playoff career in the NHL. He has not played ONE MINUTE in the post-season. How's that gonna affect him? Well, maybe it will and maybe it won't. Only time will tell I guess.

The only thing that doesn't hold water with me when it comes to the Canucks is this:

You know what that is? It's Roberto Luongo's playoff career in the NHL. He has not played ONE MINUTE in the post-season. How's that gonna affect him? Well, maybe it will and maybe it won't. Only time will tell I guess.

I think that because he has played in other high pressure games like WC that it will help him. Also this is all that he cares about is winning the cup.

But the playoffs could be totally different. most likely in a phsychological way.

I think that because he has played in other high pressure games like WC that it will help him. Also this is all that he cares about is winning the cup.

But the playoffs could be totally different. most likely in a phsychological way.

Let's see what Luongo can do in the playoffs. If I had to choose a shortlist of goalies that I'd like to have on my playoff team (if I had one this year, argh!), Luongo would be on it.

Also, to Brilliant's delight, DiPietro is on the injury list with Post-Concussive Syndrome. Let me be clear, I'm not saying that he would wish harm on DiPietro. My point is that I can't name a player that ever returned from that diagnosis (Jim Johnson, Brett Lindros, Adam Deadmarsh, Scott Stevens, Pat LaFontaine, Keith Primeau, Jason Allison are all players that come to mind that had/have PCS) or came back and played at 100% of how he played before the diagnosis. If he really was diagnosed with that, he and the Islanders who inked him to the 15-year deal are in serious trouble, possibly for years. Curse of that Gorton's Fisherman, I bet. :angry:

You're right...DiPietro's career is in big trouble if he can't shake those symptoms. They're not making the playoffs this year(barring a miracle) so sit him for as long as he needs. Hopefully, he'll be okay for the start of next year...he's too important to the rivalry. Dubliewicz just doesn't cut it.

And the only (current)player I'd ever wish harm to is Brodeur.

You're right...DiPietro's career is in big trouble if he can't shake those symptoms. They're not making the playoffs this year(barring a miracle) so sit him for as long as he needs. Hopefully, he'll be okay for the start of next year...he's too important to the rivalry. Dubliewicz just doesn't cut it.

And the only (current)player I'd ever wish harm to is Brodeur.

Hey, can we add Modano to that list and then start a Rangers playoff support group? Modano and Brodeur are just two guys that I absolutely despise. Sure I hate guys like Tucker and Neil, but in terms of big names that I have to hear every night, I can't stand those two.

Meanwhile, I like the Rangers more each day. They're second only to Buffalo in my book right now.

I do like DiPietro though; he's a great goalie and a blast to watch. Plus I get to go to a lot of Islanders games. I'd hate for the league to lose an incredibly talented goalie like DP, but Desert makes a great point about PCS. I hope he's alright and comes back strong next year.

Also gotta wonder if Avery falling on DP's head right after DP came back from the initial injury had anything to do with all this.

The Rangers clinch a playoff berth!! This team came a long way from the 64-point, 12th place, club they were on February 25th. I'm wearing one of my jerseys to work tomorrow!

Well th Isles have some possibilities. If Toronto beats MTL and the Isles win their last two game they are in.

Sabres win the President's Trophy with one game still in hand. Not bad.

*sigh* Looks like the Avs are out, but on the brightside they did resign Sakic for another year, so that's good. All of the teams I follow didn't make it, so it'll be a long summer. After seeing Anaheim and San Jose last week, all I can say is D**N! Both of those teams are amazing to watch and I'll be probably pulling for either one of them to come out of the west.