World Cup of Hockey Returning

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/11/report-world-cup-of-hockey-returning-in-2016/

There hasn’t been a World Cup of Hockey since 2004 but it sounds like its return won’t be too far off.

Pavel Lysenkov of Sovietsky Sport in Russia (link in Russian) spoke with Vladislav Tretiak who says the World Cup will make its return in August and September of 2016. If this sounds like news out of the blue, it’s not.

As Dan Rosen of NHL.com reported, the NHL is close to approving a new transfer agreement with the IIHF. Part of that agreement is re-starting the World Cup series. Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly spoke about that happening to Rosen.

“We talked about the World Cup and that is included in the terms of our Player Transfer Agreement and the [anticipation] that we will cooperate on something like the World Cup of Hockey,” Daly said. “It’s obviously something we have been talking about with the [NHL] Players’ Association, and I think we have a conceptual understanding with them that we should be in a position to play in World Cups and announce them soon.”

The World Cup of Hockey has only occurred twice in 1996 and 2004. Team USA took home the title in ’96 while Team Canada won it in ’04. The World Cup was the successor to the old Canada Cup which ran from the mid-1970s til the early-90s.

Cool, I hope Team USA comed back to train in Columbus like they did in 04. I got to see them play Canada and Russia in two warm up games at Nationwide Arena.

• 2 weeks later...

Liking this news a lot. The second place in 2004 World Cup is still the most underrated achievement in Finnish people's eyes (they just see it as a summer tournament where the players are not even in shape).

• 1 month later...

Is it me or is the World Cup/Canada Cup just not as exciting as it was from '87 to '96? I think the players they had then were just larger then life. When you had two guys on one team that had in one season scored 199 pts or more it Gretz and Lemieux. Every team had players that were just better then what we have today. I know goalies are better now and pads are bigger. But every team had guys that scored 70 or more goals multiple times. Or Multiple players that scored 140 pts or more even with hooking and grabbing not called then like it is today. I'm not going to list them but pull the rosters from all the teams in all the old tournaments. They are all hall of famers. Are you really going to compare Sidney Crosby, Tavaris, Carter, Towes, and Stamkos to Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Howerchuck, Messier, Coffey, and Scott Stevens. You can do that comparison with every team. Where has all the talent gone? Love to hear thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

the talent is ever better. players are just less dominant now because the players overall are much better.

Agreed, and as a Hawks fan I think Toews is on his way to being this generations Stevy Y.