Patrick Roy to coach the Avs

Interesting, I know he has coached in the Q before, is that he was this year? Usually stars don't make great coaches but we shall see. It's a weird situation in Colorado, they have some talent but they seem to overcommit to mediocre players, have guys that are often injured and generally make iffy decisions as an organization lately.

Patrick Roy coaching the Avs won't make them a contender. Patrick Roy in goal for the Avs, on the other hand......he's probably still 10x better than Varlamov and whoever the backup his (Giguere?)

ANYTHING will be an extreme upgrade from what we had before in Sacco. What excites me about Roy is his attitude and his track record as a winner. He is a tenacious competitor and even if he doesn't get us deep into the playoffs or to the Stanley Cup, the young players on the team will definitely benefit from having his work ethic and his focus on winning rub off on them. If as a coach he is anything like he was as a player he won't accept any half-arsed efforts as were rumored at the end of this season. Our young players need a mentor and someone to teach them how to compete, focus, and how to shape their attitudes and vision as professional athletes whose main goal is to win a championship. Kids need mentors, and let's face it, the roster is pretty much full of kids. I worked under many superiors - bosses, managers, etc. when I was in my teens and twenties and all of them were mentors for me. Each one taught me something, bad or good, even if they weren't actively trying to teach me anything. Young people are influenced by the leaders around them whether they realize it or not, whether they want to be or not. The guy we had the last few years was not a good influence and didn't have the goods to positively shape the young players we have. Even if Roy fails as a coach in terms of record or Xs and Os, I hope a little of who he is as a competitor rubs off on our players. It may make the difference two or three years down the road.