Torts Fired

I guess beating the CRAPS in Round 1 every year does not keep a job....haha.

Had to be done. Especially with Lundqvist a free agent after next season. I want Lindy Ruff. Maybe Mark Messier can be up to the challenge.

I don't get why people want Lindy Ruff so bad. If ever there was an underachieving coach out there, it's him...and I was a fan of his. Ruff is not the answer.

I'm with Mike, Lindy Ruff is not even close to being the answer. I don't know who we're going to get but it has to be somebody with an offensive mindset. I was actually talking to a friend of mine at school not 20 minutes before this was announced, she's a Rangers fan too and we were talking about how pitiful they looked against Boston. I told her Torts was gonna be gone by the end of the week and I s*** you not 20 minutes later I got an alert from ESPN on my phone that he got the boot.

Mark Messier is not the answer either. If anything, Mike Sullivan is going to be right behind Torts and Messier should become an assistant coach. He's needed on a daily basis so that maybe we can win faceoffs. We can't have a head coach in his first year with basically one year left to win a cup. We need to get to the finals next year to have any chance of keeping Lundqvist. Callahan isn't going anywhere, ever, but Hank could very well walk and I wouldn't blame him if he did. He's the best goalie in the league and our guys play like s*** in front of him on a nightly basis.

Love Mess but he shouldn't be the head coach. An assistant, yes. As far as Lundqvist, it scares the heck out of me to even consider him leaving. But I'm sure he's getting tired of what goes on in front of him on a regular basis. He should have won a Cup by now....the Rangers better throw a lot of $$ at him and quick.

But not too much otherwise we won't be able to pay anyone decent to play in front of him.

This is a conundrum....

And Brooklyn is right near NYC....Hank loves him some NYC.....And the Isles desperately need a goalie.....Are you thinking what Im thinking?

And Brooklyn is right near NYC....Hank loves him some NYC.....And the Isles desperately need a goalie.....Are you thinking what Im thinking?

But they have Tim Thomas.......

I wouldn't have an issue with Sullivan. However, do you think Sather/Dolan would give him an opportunity? If Henrik decided to leave I wouldn't hold it against him. As posted before he deserves WAY better pieces surrounding him.

I wouldn't have an issue with Sullivan. However, do you think Sather/Dolan would give him an opportunity? If Henrik decided to leave I wouldn't hold it against him. As posted before he deserves WAY better pieces surrounding him.

It isn't so much the PIECES as it is the defensive mindset of the now former head coach. I've been a Tortorella supporter from day 1, but even I lost faith and patience in him with the way this season went. Last year we were great and should have at least gone to the finals. Then Sather essentially blew up our team going into what he had to know was going to be a lockout-shortened season at the very least to get a guy like Nash who sucks in the playoffs because he has no playoff experience. To give up Dubinsky and Anisimov was just too much to have any chance of getting any real chemistry between the big 3, which is why Gaborik is gone and why Richards is probably going to follow Torts out the door at some point.

The Gaborik trade was brilliant, but I'd much rather ave Brassard, Dorsett and Moore while still having Dubinsky and Anisimov. We never should have traded for Nash, but it's too late now. The pieces in front of Hank aren't the problem, the way they were being coached was the problem. Hopefully Sather doesn't make a stupid hire like Lindy Ruff. He's gotta find somebody with a proven track record who also knows how to coach an offense and a powerplay

Smart move by the Rags to dumphim now rather than wasting a season waiting around to can him while a big crap storm flies around the team. Where was he going with these guys? Gaborik was a 40-goal scorer and Richards was one of the most coveted free agents in hockey, a guy who was supposedly very close to Torts. What was the result? One guy is out of town, another has a foot out the door. Where is the top-level offensive talent outside of those guys? Did they even have the personnel to play this "heavy" hockey? You've got two No. 2 defenseman playing 30+ minutes a night, wow, magnificent coaching.

They were taking an approach that left them with nothing in the tank come playoff time, basically.

I'm reserving judgment on the Gaborik trade, personally. I think in the long run, it will have been good for both sides despite Columbus's very narrow playoff miss (it was a travesty that Minnesota backed in over them). Dorsett is a very competitive and likable (for the fans at least) player, Brassard and Moore have potential if they can avoid injuries. Of course Gaborik's health is always a wild card, too.

I actually think they will keep Richards, the next option would be trading him for pennies on the dollar. I do not see them buying him out, as some have speculated.

There's no way they can afford to buy out Richards unless they agree to a contract with another high end free agent to replace him, and the buyout is just to clear cap space before the signing can become official. You can't buy him out without a replacement, and according to Capgeek, there is absolutely nobody available this season who's actually worth a besides Iginla, and he's not an upgrade.

I would hold onto Richards at least until the trade deadline and if he's not performing or we're essentially out it, dangle him and see what bites. Otherwise keep him through the season and buy him out next offseason to free up cap space to re-sign Girardi, Callahan and Lundqvist and then maybe make a run at Malkin or Stastny. I'd love Malkin but I'd be happy with Stastny.

Now that it's coming out that players essentially called for his removal, it was the right move. I liked Torts' style, it worked last season, but I guess it started wearing on the guys (I could see that). And yes, his style mentally and physically wore them out so come playoffs they were almost drained.

Brad Richards: they obviously thought he was worth a 9 year deal so to give up on him now is foolish. Let him train this offseason, have a full camp and see how he does come next season....it's being said by multiple sources that the lockout really hurt him. Let's see.....

Saw that yesterday and laughed my arse off. I suppose if it were real, someone would have uploaded it on their cell phone. That would be fun to watch!