The Future of the NHL Jersey Part II

CryWolf

Vote on the planned jersey changes  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the planned changes to NHL jerseys described below?

• These changes sound amazing, and I support them 110%!
    • Overall, the planned changes are a good strategy and will have a positive impact on the game and the fans
    • Overall, the planned changes are a bad strategy and will have a negative impact on the game and the fans
    • These changes are absolutely ludicrous, I am outraged!

Honestly - I would suggest that ice jerseys encourage the manufacturers to conduct some research and determine which jersey is most popular for each team, before determing which color the semi-pro replica for each will be available in. Instead of being dark across the board, it should just be the most popular.

Research seems like it is something that would make sense. I imagine RBK would want to maximize it's profits so finding out which of the jerseys would be the most likely to sell would help them achieve greater profits. Why make the Dark Jersey only for a team when more fans may like the white better or even the alternate possibly. I am not a buisinessman at all, but it seems to me that this would make the most sense.

They could get each team to put a poll on its website to get a decent idea of which jersey fans prefer.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Research seems like it is something that would make sense. I imagine RBK would want to maximize it's profits so finding out which of the jerseys would be the most likely to sell would help them achieve greater profits. Why make the Dark Jersey only for a team when more fans may like the white better or even the alternate possibly. I am not a buisinessman at all, but it seems to me that this would make the most sense.

They could get each team to put a poll on its website to get a decent idea of which jersey fans prefer.

Or NHL.com could run a different poll every 3 days, asking which jersey you prefer for each team, that way not just the narrow market of fans who consistantly visit a teams website, as opposed to all fans, inside and out of the teams local market will get to voice their opinions. Either way works, but I know I don't visit the Rangers, Red Wings, Blackhawks Flyers or Capitals sites very often. I might be interested in jerseys from these teams in the near future though and I would miss out on taking part in a poll that was held on their site alone.

(Prucha, Zetterberg, Havlat, Forsberg, Ovechkin - in case you're wondering).

Or NHL.com could run a different poll every 3 days, asking which jersey you prefer for each team, that way not just the narrow market of fans who consistantly visit a teams website, as opposed to all fans, inside and out of the teams local market will get to voice their opinions. Either way works, but I know I don't visit the Rangers, Red Wings, Blackhawks Flyers or Capitals sites very often. I might be interested in jerseys from these teams in the near future though and I would miss out on taking part in a poll that was held on their site alone.

(Prucha, Zetterberg, Havlat, Forsberg, Ovechkin - in case you're wondering).

True NHL.com might work better than the individual team sites, or they could have a progressive survey where it takes you through all the teams as opposed to one every few days.

True NHL.com might work better than the individual team sites, or they could have a progressive survey where it takes you through all the teams as opposed to one every few days.

Yep, that's true as well. I was thinking more of those little polls in the bottom corner, but there's nothing stopping the NHL from just having a link to a survery that simply asks you whether or not you intend on purchasing a jersey from each team, team by team, and if so, which one (home,away,alternate).

Yep, that's true as well. I was thinking more of those little polls in the bottom corner, but there's nothing stopping the NHL from just having a link to a survery that simply asks you whether or not you intend on purchasing a jersey from each team, team by team, and if so, which one (home,away,alternate).

actually we probably have enough sales data to determine which jerseys sell best for each team. rbk also would have all the sales data they need to determine bestsellers for each team. obviously they want to make that decision based on uniformity rather than popularity.

actually we probably have enough sales data to determine which jerseys sell best for each team. rbk also would have all the sales data they need to determine bestsellers for each team. obviously they want to make that decision based on uniformity rather than popularity.

I just don't see the benefits of uniformity with regards to something like this though. It's not like all of the semi-pro wearing fans are going to assemble in one place and will need to be easily identified, thus providing a reason for them all to be wearing dark jerseys.

A couple of nights ago I was watching TSN and they showed the new style jersey that CryWolf was explaining to us, it looked different that's for sure. They also mentioned that starting next season all the teams will have just two jerseys - home and away. There will be no more third / alternate jerseys for the teams next year! Can you confirm this CryWolf?

They also mentioned that starting next season all the teams will have just two jerseys - home and away. There will be no more third / alternate jerseys for the teams next year! Can you confirm this CryWolf?

I've heard that rumor as well... I don't have any info, but I have a feeling it's true.

I've heard that rumor as well... I don't have any info, but I have a feeling it's true.

This would be a bit disappointing as there are some teams where I like the third jersey best. Though it would explain why a few teams have ditched the thirds this season.

This would be a bit disappointing as there are some teams where I like the third jersey best. Though it would explain why a few teams have ditched the thirds this season.

I'm sure all teams will have the opportunity to make their third jersey their home jersey when they go down to two. Like the Sens may be able to choose whether the third or the home is their one dark for next year.

I'm sure all teams will have the opportunity to make their third jersey their home jersey when they go down to two. Like the Sens may be able to choose whether the third or the home is their one dark for next year.

I, like many other Sabres fans, would hope Buffalo would take the alternate as the home next season if this is the case.

I, like many other Sabres fans, would hope Buffalo would take the alternate as the home next season if this is the case.

I doubt it. I'd rather they just change the logos, but I don't think they'd kill off the home sweater and in favor of the vintage if they're going to stick with the new away version.

A couple of nights ago I was watching TSN and they showed the new style jersey that CryWolf was explaining to us, it looked different that's for sure. They also mentioned that starting next season all the teams will have just two jerseys - home and away. There will be no more third / alternate jerseys for the teams next year! Can you confirm this CryWolf?

I haven't heard anything about this... but just because I haven't heard doesn't mean it's not possible. I would be surprised - but if you saw that on TSN.... hmmm. What jersey did they show?

[*]The new NHL authentic jersey will use modern technology to decrease weight and minimize drag - by games end, it will weigh on average 4 lbs less than the current authentic jersey when taking into account water absorption throughout the game

Well, except for Keith Tkachuk

• 1 month later...

Confirmation from Gary Bettman - http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2680102

Ice Jerseys board members got this one way ahead of the rest of hockey fans :D

Confirmation from Gary Bettman - http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2680102

Ice Jerseys board members got this one way ahead of the rest of hockey fans :D

I am interested in the unveiling to see how the changes actually look.

I definitly am as well. I have faith however, that they will be marginally dissapointing (in terms of looks - from a traditional stand point) at worst, and good for the game and the players overall. I'm sure I'll be able to accept them and support them when they are unveiled.

I definitly am as well. I have faith however, that they will be marginally dissapointing (in terms of looks - from a traditional stand point) at worst, and good for the game and the players overall. I'm sure I'll be able to accept them and support them when they are unveiled.

My only problem with the change but will be good for icejerseys is the changes will make me have to get some of the jerseys of players I already have and have to get them again.

Meh - only if you're that concerned with being up to date on the fashion. Like, I'm not gonna buy a new Ovechkin in a year just because of a new cut. Maybe someday down the road, and I'm sure I will re-buy some players, but overall, it shouldn't be too big of a deal as I doubt that many hardcore fans are going to get worried about havin to keep up with the changing design, as long as no team uni's change. I could be wrong, but that's how I'll feel.

will they be making blank swift jersey too?

You mean will next year's jerseys with the new cuts be available without names/numbers? If so, I'm positive they will be, no need to worry.

Screen printed logos with no shoulder patches? F-that.

Next question.

Now having had time to read the whole thread I have a couple of things to add.

First, I was in Detroit the morning of their Stanley Cup victory parade in 1998. Everyone in that was having breakfast in the place I was eating was wearing a white Red Wings jersey. I don't recall seeing one red one out of at least 50. I thought that was really remarkable so I don't dispute the numbers posted earlier in this thread.

Second, if all the players are wearing the current, heavy slow jerseys, then no one is at a disadvantage so why go through all the upheaval of changing everything? On the message boards I read, the vast, vast majority of jersey buyers are really against these proposed changes. Apparently the team owners don't realize just how much the team's jerseys really mean to the fans and how many bazillion dollars people have invested in jerseys and customizing. To relegate every single jersey en masse to out-of-date status is not going to go over very well and could alientate a lot of people.

Third, I would really, really like to see some sales reports of the Nike Swift jerseys worn in the last Olympics vs. the previous Olympics. I'm sure Canada's lack of success in 2006 vs. 2002 would sway the results somewhat, but I'd still like to know if the Swift jerseys sold 15% more than the old ones, about the same or 90% less. Perhaps those numbers would tell some sort of a story about how the public took to the increase in price for the "technologically advanced" materials that somehow still managed to feel like a soggy paper towel in quality.

Since I've run out of space for jerseys, maybe this changeover will be a good thing becuase I really do need to stop buying more anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

In today's Arizona Republic, hockey beat writer David Vest gives us this (which is not really news to us)...

"The Coyotes have sharp uniforms. It's too bad they are going to be altered for next season. In fact, every team in the NHL will have a new look for 2007-08 as the league attempts to update its image with new tapered duds that have been designed to be less bulky and give players more flexibility. According to reports, the new streamlined uniforms, designed by Reebok, will first be worn by players in next month's All-Star Game. Look for the Coyotes to lose the three stripes that encircle the bottom of their sweaters, and possibly even the stripes on their socks."