What do you collect?

StayFrosty

We all collect hockey jerseys.

But what collecting patterns/habits do you have when it comes to jerseys? What type of jerseys do you collect, and why?

I don't just mean what team/s do you collect from. Which jerseys do you buy? Every single player? Or just one of each jersey style? Do you only buy from one team (and if so, how do you keep the hobby fresh?)?

I just got into this hobby a year or so ago. So far I have 11 jerseys, some are replicas, some are authentic, some are game worn. I mainly collect Oilers jerseys, and I like to have a few jerseys around of a few other teams (usually one of each).

The thing is, after my next few purchases, I'm not sure how I'll keep this hobby fresh. What will I buy after that? Which jerseys should I collect after that, and why?

I'm thinking I could collect a jersey from every single team... but I dunno, does that sound silly?

Please give me some ideas of what to do. Keep in mind I like my collecting to follow a certain pattern, to achieve a "complete collection" in the long run, and not just be totally random.

Honestly, I think that can be part of the problem for some people, myself included. You try to stay focused on one team, or one player, and you end up straying. Instead of one team, it's their farm team, and any player that played for your team but their jersey from a different team, or all star jerseys, and then you start adding styles you think you like, or whatever you come across and think is a good deal even if it has nothing to do with what you collect. By the end of the day you've lost focus, and in trying to refocus you can end up having troubles getting certain things out of your closet without taking losses. I think the name of the game is self control (which I don't have, but I'm working on).

I dont know how many times I have said "Im done" or "Only Isles/related from now on". I stopped buying replicas. Im authentics or gamers (GU/GI) from now on, but teams? I buy whatever is cheap lol. Luckily for me, most Islanders gamers are in my price range so I have been able to get a lot of gamers. But I always stray. Matt will vouch for me. He knows I want to leave IJ because Im weak. I see something and go "Oh! I like that style! Im going to buy it! But it has no Isles connection! Oh well. Future Jeremy's problem." 3 of my last 4 purchases were non-Isles and have no connection to the collection I want to move forward with.

I have an authentic or a gamer from every team (post 2000). So it isnt crazy. If you don't know what you want to collect, try to stick to either your favorite team or get 1 from each team. I originally started with one from each team. Once I completed this, I really narrowed focus to Islanders. Sure I may stray and pick up something else, but as long as it isn't going to break you financially, go for it.

I tend to stray when Im up late at night browsing ebay. I cant tell you how many times I made offers on jerseys after midnight and won them -- having no realistic expectation to winning them.

Maybe I could do one from each team then..... it would take some time to complete, maybe even years, so I'd have to be patient. I suppose I could just buy one or two every year, say from the two Stanley Cup final teams or just the Cup winner. I could go really slow at this and just work on Oilers and a few other teams in the mean time.

But.... the real trouble is what to do with these jerseys? I've always said I want to be able to wear them if I buy them, even if rarely. But I've got the impression that most people here only wear jerseys from one or two NHL teams, not a whole bunch. Then again, in Edmonton I've noticed a lot of people seemingly getting into it and buying and wearing jerseys from teams that go deep in the playoffs, etc. So would it be totally taboo during playoffs if all my teams are eliminated, to wear a jersey of my favorite remaining team? I could do it like that and only wear these other jerseys on very special occasions, like when those teams are deep in the playoffs.

Hmmm.

Indeed, here in Edmonton during these playoffs I've noticed people wearing so much merchandise (including jerseys) of the Bruins, Blackhawks, Rangers, etc. I'm getting the feeling that these are mostly Oiler fans, but they are big hockey fans who always pick a team no matter what in the playoffs.

I collect jerseys I like. Dont worry too much about teams etc. Even though I follow the Sabres ive never really liked the jerseys so only have 1 of them. I also only buy Authentics, GI or cheap gamers. Just off topic, do people get hassled for wearing jerseys from other teams in a hockey city? I know in England wearing the wrong shirt in the wrong town can spell big trouble. Im going to Canada for the 1st time in November so was wondering.

Nah, you'll probably be fine, I think. Lots of people where all sorts of jerseys everywhere here. I didn't even see much problems at the Flames/Oilers game I went to recently between opposing fans.

Now... staying out of trouble is one thing. You might get a few comments here and there, people trying to joke with you or poke fun at you, in a good way. You might get people chanting the home team's name at you. But it's usually in good fun. You also might get lots of people trying to strike conversation with you about hockey. But I think Canadians would be pretty appreciative of a British man walking around with ANY NHL jersey on.

As I said, I get the idea lots of people I see wearing Kings, Bruins, and Rangers jerseys are just Oiler fans with nothing better to do during playoff time. I'm an Oiler fan, but I've worn a Canucks jersey down West Edmonton Mall a bunch of times without trouble. You also might get people hollering at you that they support your team. There's a greater chance for this if the team is Canadian, I think. But I should mention that I haven't traveled too much at all in my life. I can only tell you about hockey in Edmonton, but you should be well off, since I think we're known to be a pretty rowdy city, especially when it comes to hockey.

Actually, I won't mention here the way I used to dress.... but let's just say as far as my city goes that I'm 99% certain you won't get beat up for wearing a hockey jersey, UNLESS perhaps it was at some intense game, or if you're always wearing a Flames jersey to the bar (pub), etc.

There's a Boston fan here who went to game 7 in Vancouver and survived with no harm, game worn jersey included, I believe.

In Edmonton I don't really remember seeing people wearing Flames jerseys (except at the game), but I have seeing people wearing Flames baseball caps. No problems, I guess. Obviously wearing the main rival jersey is the riskiest, but if the Flames are ever in the playoffs as Canada's last hope, you can bet I'll be wearing one of their jerseys without thinking twice, and I'm sure it will be fine. And if they won the Cup, I'd wear the jersey all year.

I should mention I am a big guy, so maybe people just don't want to mess with me. But no, I think you'll be fine. As I've said, I've seen other people doing this.

Thanks for that, I'm actually from New Zealand not British :) But anyway, i'm going to stay with family in Calgary and while I will wear one of my flames jerseys to a game or 2 there I was mainly wondering what the reaction would be to a flames jersey in Vancouver. I'll try to avoid wearing one at West Edmonton mall, might stick with one of my Gretzkys there :thumbsup: Just really looking forward to going to my 1st hockey game, after watching on tv for so many years.

A good question.......Matt is absolutely right about self-control....and I only collect Rangers' shirts! I really got serious about this around a year ago (I had two authentics up to that point) but picked up a Heritage replica b/c I wanted one and, at the time, didn't know Heritage authentics existed. THEN I stumbled upon a 2.0 WC and said "that's it. Authentics ONLY". I'm very glad I don't seek out other teams' jerseys- too much anxiety trying to obtain (and too much $$ to be spent).

As for wearing other teams: NO. You root for your team, and if they are awful, you STILL root for them and proudly dipslay their colors and crest. Lost in the first round? Suffer.

I continue to watch hockey, and I like the Wings (but talk to me next season when they're in line for another Eastern Conference or whatever it's going to be called playoff spot) but I will not don the threads of another team!

Mainly my hometown team and 7th oldest active team in the world, The Hershey Bears and their Alumni in the NHL (which gives me a reason to buy cool jerseys of other teams). 6 teams represented with Hershey Alumns so far, hoping to add the Ducks and Coyotes next.

tanguay-f.jpgaucoin-isles-f.jpgsteckel-leafs-f.jpgfehr-jets-f.jpghendricks-avs-f.jpgbeagle-f.jpg

I also love Nashville and collecting their jerseys. In the process of obtaining a home/road/alt for every year.

Self control.... Hmmmmm.... :unsure:

Currently I am out of control... I have added quite a few over the last 24 months.. For the most part I only collect Rangers authentics and gamers... Such a fun, but expensive hobby so I feel like I need to be selective in the sweaters I pick up.. Most have been photomatched or vidematched. I still need one grail (Brian Leetch) gamer but I have managed to obtain my two others.. A Chris Kreider rookie and a Petr Klima.. Once the Leetch is obtained, i will slow down... I still want to add a JT Miller..

I do own 3 non Rangers gamers now... A Derek Dorsett Blue Jackets, a PA Parenteau Wolfpack and a Petr Klima Oilers, only because he was my favorite player in HS and college.. No more non Rangers gamers...

Self control.... Hmmmmm.... :unsure:

No more non Rangers gamers...

Lol. I say the same thing, except Isles. However, picking up your minor league affiliate isn't really straying in my opinion.

I'm too poor to afford gamers so I just stick with Flyers authentics for now. But hopefully in the future I can start adding some gamers and other teams to my collection

Like most I started with replicas, moved on to authentics, and now try to stick with gamers if possible.

I also focus on the Rangers, however I let myself get a jersey from any team as long as the player was in the Rangers organization at some point. Doesn't have to be someone who played at the NHL level, if they played for the Rangers AHL or ECHL affiliates that works. It's still more restrictive than you might think, there's been some jerseys I wanted but I had to pass because there wasn't a Rangers connection.

I'm too poor to afford gamers so I just stick with Flyers authentics for now. But hopefully in the future I can start adding some gamers and other teams to my collection

The best thing the Isles did was move from Meigray to selling them themselves. Sure the authenticity isnt as great as Meigray, but I could afford the jerseys!

Honestly, I think that can be part of the problem for some people, myself included. You try to stay focused on one team, or one player, and you end up straying. Instead of one team, it's their farm team, and any player that played for your team but their jersey from a different team, or all star jerseys, and then you start adding styles you think you like, or whatever you come across and think is a good deal even if it has nothing to do with what you collect. By the end of the day you've lost focus, and in trying to refocus you can end up having troubles getting certain things out of your closet without taking losses. I think the name of the game is self control (which I don't have, but I'm working on).

Cant agree more man. This is me down to an exact. In the last 3-4 months I have done really well with only purchasing Flyers jerseys though. Only other teams I like are the Islanders and Oilers, love the blue and orange combo.

I used to be on the boat of having a jersey of every team, but then I decided screw that. I love the ways a lot of teams look, but I don't support them, soooooo it was a wash for me. and trying to unload some of the ones I had, ugh, were a pain as mentioned. A few I took cuts on, others worked out ok. I got a little bit of randomness but it is limited.

Wild

Gophers

North Stars

Leafs

USA

Germany

I have a few oddballs left, but can't bring myself to part with. Like the Chara prepped Sens jersey, never gonna find that anywhere again so I might as well keep it around. And the Sens third from back in the day is so badass.

I'll buy any jersey of my favorite player: Kris Letang; different team jerseys and International ones. If Kris is chosen to play for Canada in 2014, I would definitely own that jersey.

I love IIHF jerseys and would collect other players/countries just because I find those jerseys to be very different in design.

I do have one jersey of my secondary favorite players. I wouldn't own a jersery of every team because I simply wouldn't spend the money for a jersey of a team I don't like.

I collect jerseys from my favorite players, both men and women. With no local NHL team I've never had any problem collecting jerseys from different teams.

With the exception of Maria Rooth and Erika Holst, I don't feel the need to have a jersey from every team they ever played for. Just the jerseys I like. I just can't justify spending money on a jersey you think is ugly just because a certain player wore it.

As for teams, I collect Kentucky Thoroughblades jerseys. I am trying to get at least one home and road jersey from each season. Also trying to get a home, road, alt from each style of jersey the Predators have worn.

I am also trying to put together a collection of a jersey from each team that played in the 2012 and 2013 women's world championships since I went to both tournaments. Not going very well.

Like many, I don't have great self control and pick up a jersey that doesn't fit the collection now and then if the price is right, usually an IIHF jersey.

I am trying to stick to game worn jerseys when possible. With some of my favorite NHL players that is never going to be possible. In those cases I stick with authentics.

I buy Jaromir Jagr jerseys so I can save money on toilet paper.

You're gonna get Airknitassidis.

My collection started as whichever jerseys I liked. I've moved on to Flyers, Phantoms and related authentics for the most part (like All-Stars). Also, for a few players like Giroux, LeClair, Timonen and Selanne, I'm working on getting every jersey they wore replicated.

My focus right now is on current Flyers and my Giroux collection, which is growing at an insane clip.

I have barely any interest in gamers. I want a Giroux, LeClair, Selanne and Briere (for my beloved) and that's it.

Outside of hockey...

I'm expanding my Phillies collection. Would want an Utley gamer at some point.

Outside of jerseys...

I have a toy collection that would make your eyes explode. Kurt's seen most of it...it's intense. But, I have a girlfriend already so most creepiness luckily doesn't get a chance to affect anything haha.

I have a toy collection that would make your eyes explode. Kurt's seen most of it...it's intense. But, I have a girlfriend already so most creepiness luckily doesn't get a chance to affect anything haha.

Intense on a whole new level buddy.

On the collecting note, i forgot to mention i have every NHL jersey Steve Downie wore and Phantoms jerseys to replicate his time there. Ive amassed 10 of the current style Flyers 2.0's so my collection has really taken off recently too.