2013 Offseason

Alright, since hockey season is officially over, it's time to gather news in one place for the all the offseason crap. I've got CBS Sports Network on and they're scrolling across the bottom that Kipursoff is retiring and the Flyers are going to use the compliance buyout to get rid of Bryz. I know the Flyers fans are going to be happy with that, but I was also under the impression that they're going to buy out Briere.

Thoughts?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaberle will also be bought

Speculation Tampa Bay will buyout Lecavalier and Malone

I take Bryz if his contractual demands are not ridiculous (2 years, $7m max). I'd like Briere if his contract demands are not insane (2 year deal max)

Isles need to move the 1st rounder and Nino for either a top line RW or a goalie.

Why trade the pick and your top prospect for two things you can get on the open market? Bryz and Briere could both be signed, and then you could trade Nino and/or the pick for another need like a replacement for Streit.

Id be shocked if Briere doesn't sign with either the Islanders, Rangers, Penguins, Capitals or Devils seeing as he has custody of his kids, and after the buyout called south Jersey his home.

Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked if Briere signs a 1 year deal with one of the above listed teams, and then signs back in Philly afterwards.

Bryz being gone makes today an awesome day.

Bryz could be a viable option for the Isles.....Nabokov isn't getting any younger.

Why trade the pick and your top prospect for two things you can get on the open market? Bryz and Briere could both be signed, and then you could trade Nino and/or the pick for another need like a replacement for Streit.

We have enough top prospects where one can be traded. Our last 5 first round picks aren't even in the NHL yet! Nino is the Isles 3rd best forward prospect (behind Nelson -- who is probably going to make the team and Ryan Strome). Supposedly there is beef between Snow and Niederreiter (the whole asking for a trade because he wasn't invited to camp debacle). If I can package Nino + 1st for Bobby Ryan or Evander Kane (etc), I'd do it. Wouldn't trade Nino for a goalie though. Need to take the next step and get a real RW for Tavares.

Re Streit: Snow is very high on the prospect Matt Donovan. He was tied with Justin Schultz in points for a defenseman last season (the one that just ended) in the AHL and will get his shot. Im sure Calvin de Haan (if healthy, 09 1st round pick) will also get a shot at the blueline. CdH has a tremendous offensive upside and almost made the team in 09/10, but he has had like 3 major shoulder surgeries since then. The Isles have Visnovsky, Hamonic (RFA), Macdonald, Strait, Carkner, and Hickey signed for next season. I'd like to get a defenseman, but a goalie or rw will probably be better. Donovan could not be any worse than Streit was this past season.

I wanted the Rangers to get Bobby Ryan when they got Nash. Playing on a line with Gaborik and Richards, Ryan would have had similar numbers given how much Nash was afraid to shoot while Gaborik was around. The Islanders will probably be able to land him rather than Evander Kane.

I fear the Isles will regress next season. Next season's goal needs to be "win a playoff round". It has to be. A Nabby/Poulin goalie tandem isn't going to cut it. I want to have an active offseason, but I doubt it.

I fear the Isles will regress next season. Next season's goal needs to be "win a playoff round". It has to be. A Nabby/Poulin goalie tandem isn't going to cut it. I want to have an active offseason, but I doubt it.

I don't know man, the rumor is they could be moving to Brooklyn as early as the 2014-2015 season. I would think in order to attract people who wouldn't otherwise go to a hockey game, and to convince the fans to travel from LI, they'd need to have a respectable product capable of contending already in place. I could see them getting Bryz and adding somebody up front and maybe a blueliner, especially if they're looking to move early. There's no way the Isles fans are traveling to Brooklyn to see a terrible team and everyone in Brooklyn is already a Rangers fan, so they have to do something and they almost have to start now.

That's exactly it. But did you see how the crowds were when were in contention for a playoff spot? Near sellouts, crazy atmosphere. Then the playoffs were incredible. New York/LI is extremely bandwaggony. Charles Wang *should* want to add pieces to have a more competitive, exciting team. Like you said with Brooklyn, they need to have a competitive team. They can't hover over the cap floor anymore. Winning would change everything. If the referendum vote was this year, I genuinely believe it would have passed. I know Im going to be disappointed though.

Lecavalier wants a 1 year deal so he can re-sign in Tampa. I don't think the rangers will go for a 1 year deal. (At least, this is what I have read about VL)

Is that the rule, once a player is bought out, they can't sign with that team for one year?

Id be shocked if Briere doesn't sign with either the Islanders, Rangers, Penguins, Capitals or Devils seeing as he has custody of his kids, and after the buyout called south Jersey his home.

Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked if Briere signs a 1 year deal with one of the above listed teams, and then signs back in Philly afterwards.

Bryz being gone makes today an awesome day.

Caps aren't signing Briere or anybody else, they are at the limit and won't be able to sign all the players that are RFA and UFAs. Riberio needs to be signed and they won't be able to sign him because Carl Alzner and Marcus Johannson have to be signed..

There is no cap room for Ribeiro because it's already going to overpaid crap like Jeff Schultz and Brooks Laich. Marcus Johansson doesn't have to be signed, in fact I hope he never will be because he is a terrible hockey player.

I doubt GMGM is even paying attention to UFAs because he only dumpster dives when he has a ton of caproom to work with.

The clock is ticking on a Schultz buyout.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 26 Jun

Following teams, IMO, not likely to buy out: ANA, BOS, BUF, CGY, CAR, COL, CBJ, DAL, FLA, LA, MIN, NJ, NSH, OTT, PHX, SJ, STL, WSH, WPG.

F(&^*** idiots. :angry:

I don't think even Feaster is dumb enough to give up a 7th round pick for Schultz even if there is a 1st round pick and a bag of pucks coming with him.

My response was " WOW "

That was my initial reaction too. Huge trade, the Devils have their goalie of the future.

Did the Islanders REALLY trade Nino for CAL CLUTTERBUCK!? Seriously? That and a 3rd were all they were able to get for him?

Did the Islanders REALLY trade Nino for CAL CLUTTERBUCK!? Seriously? That and a 3rd were all they were able to get for him?

I want to say:

I feel Nino was mishandled and I very, very rarely take a player's side in a fallout, but, Nino is innocent here. Snow should never have tried getting fancy with the #5 pick and should have addressed the glaring weakness in the 2010 draft, which at the time, was defense. He should have jumped on Cam Fowler, like every fan wanted him to (and Fowler should have been a top 3 pick). The more I got to see Nino, the more I thought he would be a good power forward and thought he would help. Instead of sending him back to Juniors for 2011-12, he was on a line with Marty Reasoner and Jay Pandolfo playing 6 minutes a game. There was no way he was given the chance to succeed. He has like 2 goals and 1 assist in 55 NHL games. He lit up the AHL in the first half of last year. I think he deserved a legitimate shot on the Isles this past season (over Brad Boyes). Snow and his grudges are foolish.

I like Clutterbuck. He is friends with Tavares. The Islanders are going to be harder to play against. The physical responsibilities will no longer fall solely on Martin (Carkner to a degree, but he will be a healthy scratch a lot next season). But you don't trade a top 5 pick who wasn't given a chance for a 3rd/4th line grinder.

Supposedly Nino has absolutely no trade value. Snow tried to move him and the best player he could have got was Clutterbuck. If it was up to me, I would have held onto Nino until training camp came along and seen what happened.