1994 Stanley Cup Finals Patch Guide

akteon

1994 Stanley Cup Patch Conundrum

I've been researching this for a while, ever since I first heard there was potentially 2 sizes to the 1994 Stanley Cup Patch, a "regular" one for the Canucks and possibly the Rangers blue jerseys, and possibly a smaller one for the Rangers white jerseys made to fit between the shoulder bars. Being a Rangers fan I wanted to get accurate patches for my '94 cup jerseys.

The problem is, I've found 3 different "legitimate" styles of the 1994 Stanley Cup patch - and none of them exactly matches pictures obtained from gamers.

The Gamers

Here's pictures of the patch from two gamers - one from a Karptosev gamer sold via a Lelands auction, and the second from a Corey Hirsch game issue jersey (he was the 3rd string goalie).

94_patch_gamer.jpg94_patch_gamer2.jpg

Murf & Pat Patch

This is the patch that I was convinced for a long time was the real deal. It's what most of the definite fake patches on eBay seem to copy. Most of the fakes have the E and W on top of the cup, not behind it.

94_patch_murf_pat.jpg

National Emblem Patch

This is a patch made by National Emblem and comes in a hologramed official NHL package like all of their patches. Obviously a modern reproduction, it does seem to come close to the gamers in some areas.

94_patch_national_emblem.jpg

The "Small" Patch

I haven't seen these around lately, mine is from a Healy '94 era Rangers CCM jersey. I know Jeff has this style on his Leetch that he featured on his blog. It does seem smaller than the others, but it's not the same size as the gamers.

94_patch_healy.jpg

Is there a "Correct" Patch?

Since the style used on the gamers is no longer available (and perhaps never was) my suggestion would be to use the National Emblem version since they are at least not knockoffs.

Edited by akteon

• 3 years later...

Hi akteon,

I've been doing a lot of patch research as well, and was lucky to find an "earlier" National Emblem version that seems to be the closest version to the gamers.

It measures about 4.25" across. Thanks for sharing your findings.

oy.jpg

That isn't an made by National Emblem, it's a reproduction by PatchCollection Inc. Previously they sold the bad reproductions based on the Murf & Pat patch with the E & W on top of the cup.

Anyway, it looks like they stepped up their game quite a bit and this new version from PatchCollection does indeed appear to be the closest to the gamers available these days.

Edit: Apparently still wrong in the size department. Thanks to Slim and Brilliant's observations below.

It measures about 4.25" across.

Gamers were much smaller than that...note the pics of the gamers above and how they almost fit right inside the white striping on the shoulder. If you have a Rangers jersey, throw your patch on to compare.

These were 2 that I just purchsed online. They are different sizes and are different in apperance from the patches from National Emblem. What do you think? Use one of these form my Blue Graves jersey I'm sending out? Thanks in advance.photo1-vi.jpg

I would use neither (I actually have one of those)- if you look at the pics of the gamers above, there are no blue outlines in the words "Stanley Cup".

I sent out my blue one today. I'll get a real patch for it another time. There's a dry cleaner by me who sews them on for $4.

Agreed. But to get it the least amount of wrong, avoid the blue lines.

the one he had on his other jersey looked good until I matched it up to the gamer pic and then it looked bad. Personally, I think the size of the patch in this case, dealing with the shoulder piping, is more important than the actual detail on the patch, because you don't want a patch thats too big and goes over the lines in an awkward manner.

There's no such thing as a real patch? Then what did I post up there yesterday?

Got any more? ;)

akteon, Good to know it's a PatchColleciton Inc. repro.

There's no such thing as a real patch? Then what did I post up there yesterday?

Brilliant!, seriously, where did you get that?

I see you're from Howell, was just over there last week playing hookie going to Great Adventure.

Anyways, did you get that back in the 90's?

S

Agreed. But to get it the least amount of wrong, avoid the blue lines.

And the arched 1994, and the E & W not underneath the cup, and the TM, and the embroidery at the top of the cup (most years differ).

There are a lot of very noticeable differences between the real deal and all the replicas.

Greetings! I've lurked the IJ Boards for several months and felt I should contribute to the subject of the Rangers' 1994 Stanley Cup patch, and which version is the most authentic. From whatever pictures I've seen on the internet, eBay, other sports memorabilia auction sites, there are AT LEAST four variations and possibly a fifth of the 1994 Stanley Cup patch. I'll try to summarize the features of each of the patches.

THE 1994 Stanley Cup Finals GAME AUTHENTIC Patch

- stitched onto left shoulder of the Rangers' game jerseys for the '94 SCF (Obviously)

- reduced size (3.5") to fit between red shoulder stripes (hypothesized by akteon and others)

- embroidered onto twill backing

- twill backing has feathery appearance on the fringes

- 'TM' is tiny and nearly hidden between the sigil rim and the right drape of the banner

**Brilliant! You have the ORIGINAL patch in all its pristine unstitched glory!!! :o^_^:thumbsup: **

1. Murf & Pat Patch

- most common reproduction of the 1994 SCF patch sold on the web

- Font is WAAAAY inaccurate (bold & blocky, in contrast to the serifed letters of the authentic)

- letters & numbers bunched too closely, 'E' and 'W' are hidden by the Stanley Cup

- EGREGIOUS lack of detail in the embroidery of the Cup (especially in the bowl and no bands)

2. National Emblem Patch

- Officially licensed by the NHL (so you're bound to see it sold on NHL.com or the NHL Store in NYC)

- Comes in a holographed packet

- INACCURATE, despite National Emblem's best efforts (only FIVE black stripes in background, as opposed to TEN black stripes alternating ELEVEN blue stripes)

- no black edge around the circle part of logo

3. PatchCollection Inc. patch

- closest reproduction of the original 1994 SCF patch

- banner lettering is nearly identical to the original

- only inaccuracy is the lettering for the Eastern/Western Conference; thicker weight than original

- 'TM' is more prominent than in original

4. The "Small" Patch

- Least common variation of the 1994 SCF patch

- lettering is virtually identical to the original gamers

- Lack of the 'TM' near the right side of orange banner drap is the most distinctive feature

- Fuzzy blue stripes also another important distinction

5. CCM Vintage 550 Patch (The FIFTH variation!!!)

- Dead ringer for the genuine article - lettering, logo design & all!!!

- measures 4" across (like the ones used on the Canucks' jerseys?)

- not embroidered onto twill backing

The reason I just had to post was that I had customized a CCM/Gerry Cosby's mesh within the past year (Size 54, originally with the man who hit the post as a Canuck, personally stripped, converted to THE MAN who helped end the Curse of 1940... it's a long story for another day). I spent considerable time looking for the most accurate patch among the variants listed. Guess what I chose... and it involved cannibalizing from a replica jersey. Pic related:

post-13204-0-46273500-1373178733_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Greetings! I've lurked the IJ Boards for several months and felt I should contribute to the subject of the Rangers' 1994 Stanley Cup patch, and which version is the most authentic. From whatever pictures I've seen on the internet, eBay, other sports memorabilia auction sites, there are AT LEAST four variations and possibly a fifth of the 1994 Stanley Cup patch. I'll try to summarize the features of each of the patches.

THE 1994 Stanley Cup Finals GAME AUTHENTIC Patch

- stitched onto left shoulder of the Rangers' game jerseys for the '94 SCF (Obviously)

- reduced size (3.5") to fit between red shoulder stripes (hypothesized by akteon and others)

- embroidered onto twill backing

- twill backing has feathery appearance on the fringes

- 'TM' is tiny and nearly hidden between the sigil rim and the right drape of the banner

**Brilliant! You have the ORIGINAL patch in all its pristine unstitched glory!!! :o^_^:thumbsup: **

1. Murf & Pat Patch

- most common reproduction of the 1994 SCF patch sold on the web

- Font is WAAAAY inaccurate (bold & blocky, in contrast to the serifed letters of the authentic)

- letters & numbers bunched too closely, 'E' and 'W' are hidden by the Stanley Cup

- EGREGIOUS lack of detail in the embroidery of the Cup (especially in the bowl and no bands)

2. National Emblem Patch

- Officially licensed by the NHL (so you're bound to see it sold on NHL.com or the NHL Store in NYC)

- Comes in a holographed packet

- INACCURATE, despite National Emblem's best efforts (only FIVE black stripes in background, as opposed to TEN black stripes alternating ELEVEN blue stripes)

- no black edge around the circle part of logo

3. PatchCollection Inc. patch

- closest reproduction of the original 1994 SCF patch

- banner lettering is nearly identical to the original

- only inaccuracy is the lettering for the Eastern/Western Conference; thicker weight than original

- 'TM' is more prominent than in original

4. The "Small" Patch

- Least common variation of the 1994 SCF patch

- lettering is virtually identical to the original gamers

- Lack of the 'TM' near the right side of orange banner drap is the most distinctive feature

- Fuzzy blue stripes also another important distinction

5. CCM Vintage 550 Patch (The FIFTH variation!!!)

- Dead ringer for the genuine article - lettering, logo design & all!!!

- measures 4" across (like the ones used on the Canucks' jerseys?)

- not embroidered onto twill backing

The reason I just had to post was that I had customized a CCM/Gerry Cosby's mesh within the past year (Size 54, originally with the man who hit the post as a Canuck, personally stripped, converted to THE MAN who helped end the Curse of 1940... it's a long story for another day). I spent considerable time looking for the most accurate patch among the variants listed. Guess what I chose... and it involved cannibalizing from a replica jersey. Pic related:

Awesome write up man!

• 8 months later...

After reading the advice here, I recently ordered a 1994 SC patch from Patch Collection. My credit card was charged but after 2 weeks I had not heard from them, so I called. They told me the patch was on backorder. I finally received it yesterday. The patch came in NHL packaging but does not contain the "TM" mark, and the blue portions of the patch (such as the words "Eastern Conference" and "Western Conference", and the horizontal stripes that surround the Cup) are kind of an aqua color. I've attached a picture here. I'm debating whether it's OK to put on my '94 CCM authentic. Since there is really no such thing as an "Authentic" version of this patch, am I being too critical? I'm not looking to sell the jersey - I just don't want it to look "off". What do you think?

post-21729-0-75090700-1406082092_thumb.j

Not counting the white outer part, it's 3 1/2" tall and 3 5/8" wide. Including the white, it's 4 1/8 tall and 4 1/4 wide.

• 3 months later...

Another great thread! I've been looking at 1994 Stanley Cup Patches trying to find the best for a recently acquired Authentic CCM Blue Rangers jersey. This patch is my current choice for the most authentic but was hoping for an opinion from some of those more knowledgeable than me.

%24_57.JPG

Here are pictures of my recently acquired blue CCM jersey the patch would go on. Interested in your educated options on that as well. Best I can tell the jersey looks legit but customization of Leetch all seems a little off to me. Including the fact that in 1994 Rangers had 4 Assistant captains and Leech didn't wear the A in the blue jersey I believe.

Your jersey is legit, but I'm sorry to say that the font is not correct at all. It looks like someone was attempting to reproduce the font used on the Rangers 1991-92 TBTC jersey, but that one is a completely different design. If you want the jersey to be a 1994 SCF, then you may have no choice but to strip it completely and have it recustomized with the correct (arched name) font.

I hadn't looked that carefully at the lettering. Thanks for pointing that out LAK74 ... So jersey is the 94 style but all customization is an attempt at the 91-92 TBTC. Apologizes for moving the great 1994 Stanley Cup Patch thread off on a tangent.

Edited to correct my misreading of LAK74 response.

Edited by same0717

Well, I'd say that the lettering on your jersey looks somewhat like the TBTC font, although it's certainly not exact. CJMatthews just posted a pic of his beautiful Leetch TBTC in the "Rarest jersey thread," if you want to compare. I took the liberty of stealing his pic of the back of the jersey so you could see the name letters. Hope he doesn't mind. :)

image_zps921eb361.jpg

Edit: I'm not sure if you misunderstood what I said earlier, but I wasn't referring to the "front" of the jersey, but rather the "font" (style) of the letters and numbers added to the jersey during customization.

Edited by LAK74