”The One That Got Away”

mfitz804

I'm sure I am not the only one with a story.

1992, before I started collecting, a local store had STACKS of folded NJ Devils CCM authentic Ultrafils in the old red and green, sone blank and some customized (Muller and MacLean, as I recall), which nobody wanted then. The store went out of business and had those Jerseys marked at $50 each. Although I never saw it, I understand they were $25 each right before they closed the doors.

Everyone, including myself, wanted the new colors. It wasn't until several years later that I got my Ultrafils in the original colors, and I paid way more than $25.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back and buy every one and sell most of them at a huge profit.

What Jersey did you just miss on?

A store by me had racks full of authentic Nike international jerseys from the 96-98 period for a very good price. I bought all of the team Russia jerseys they had. If I'd known how hard those would become to find I would've bought all of the countries.

Plaza Sports in Centereach, New York in 1999. They must have had over 200 Tampa Bay Ligtning authentic alternates for $75 each. Tons of other teams for the same price too at the time.

I auctioned off 2 of my Preds mustard jerseys not too long ago. Although they both went to members here, I wish I wouldve kept them. I just was unsure of the collecting direction I was going at the time. Live and learn!

82-83 Bill Barber HSI playoffs gamer. $500 on ebay. Went to research another HSI from that year. Verified, went back to Ebay and.....gone! My homework killed me :(. All in five minutes.

Could've bought CCM mesh Rangers' jerseys of Messier, Leetch, Graves and Richter from Cosby's back in '96....now I grab them when I can off of eBay and go to Cosby's to have them make Messier, Leetch, Graves and Richter.

D'oh!

The only consolation is I didn't have that kind of coin back then.

When I bought my Bergeron at the Garden shop, the guy was trying to sell me on pre-ordering one of the (at the time) new Premiers. I almost bit and bought a Lucic, and would have ended up with the #62 that he only wore for a few games before switching to 17.

I keep debating trying to get a vector jersey and getting 62 on it, but it wouldn't be the same.

2010 NYI Brock Nelson TC jersey for $100 (new white style)

Not buying more of the authentic fishermen from Sports Plus when they were $30 each (only bought 1 -- they sent me one in the other color for free due to a jersey being slightly dirtied in storage)

Mine is baseball, Cubs navy blue pullover Rawlings. This style: http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=119743

Only wore for three years, 87-89, before was Wilson, then after they switched to the gray with Chicago on the chest. Rawlings did not make hardly any of the blue pullovers, but my dad went to a fantasy camp where he had one with a number (no name) and knowing his size he was probably a 44 or 46 at the time. It was in my closet as a kid but did not know/care about jerseys at that point, my mom cleaned it out when I went to college and onto the church rummege sale it went.

For hockey I have gotten my hands on 4 Hawks TBTC Barber Poles, but they cost a pretty penny and everyone thought they were goofy looking when on sale back in the day and readily available.

the only one i can think of is that vancouver millionaiers gamer i had that i traded to meigray. 25 years from now theyll probably sky rocket to the rarest jersey ever im sure

Erika Holst game worn Segeltorps jersey with great wear. One of my grail jerseys.

When I placed my bid the high bid was around $115 US. My high bid was $350. Still don't know why I didn't place a higher bid as I would have paid a lot more for it if I had to. I was considering increasing my bid when I got an email from the woman in charge of the auction asking if I was sure I wanted to bid that much as the usual bid increase amount was $25. I explained to her how much the jersey meant to me and I was sure of the bid amount. For some reason I couldn't bring myself to tell her I actually wanted to increase my bid.

Thanks to the time difference between Florida and Sweden and mandatory overtime I wasn't home when the auction ended and was out bid at the last minute. Of all the auctions I've lost over the years, this is the only one that still bothers me.

Its funny, the one that got away hasnt gotten away yet, I just cant afford it.

07-08 Ryan Shannon Canucks Gamer is sitting on ebay right now. Gamer of my all time favorite player, and on my favorite team to boot. Future me will be crying over this one.

07-08 Ryan Shannon Canucks Gamer is sitting on ebay right now. Gamer of my all time favorite player, and on my favorite team to boot. Future me will be crying over this one.

That's what credit/racking up dept is for...which will you regret more?

Summer of 1999, my local hockey store in the Fairview (mall in the West Island of Mtl) sells a mix of blue and white rangers liberty jerseys. I remember thinking "hmmm... The Rangers will likely keep the white and we'll never see these blue liberty jerseys again, I should hurry up and get one before it's too late"

You know how the story ends.

Back when I first started seriously collecting I was after the Reebok baby blue Thrashers alternate 6100 jersey in 48 or 52, and SportsK had one in stock for the longest time for $100 or so. Thought there was no way anyone would pay that much for a Trashers jersey so I figure I would wait for a price drop or vulture on ebay. That one got sold and I haven't found anything close since.

More recently I had accidentally purchased a 2nd set of the Caps 2.0s MGG overstocks that TMLFAN posted. I thought about keeping it just so I could flip but decided against it. Of course next thing I see are a bunch of greedy a******* from here trying to flip them on ebay for 2x what they paid. :lol:

That's what credit/racking up dept is for...which will you regret more?

I agree. Grab it now before we see your post in "The Wantlist" section.

I agree. Grab it now before we see your post in "The Wantlist" section.

I'll cut myself a deal. its at 300+25 shipping american, 4 days left, paypal wont clear. I'll wait, hope he relists it, transfer cash to paypal, and try and get it for 300 US Shipped. If he doesnt relist it, too bad, if its gone, too bad, if not, its mine.

Id message the seller now and tell him your plan so he doesnt accept a lesser offer, just in case. Ive had stuff sold out from under me before I was ready in the past, sucks.

Id message the seller now and tell him your plan so he doesnt accept a lesser offer, just in case. Ive had stuff sold out from under me before I was ready in the past, sucks.

Meh, then its life, there's 6 gamers in the world, and worst case scenario, is when i can afford authentics, i nab one matching that season. However, it would be sold if it were the set 2 jersey he scored the spin-o-rama in haha