New Sabres & Ducks Jerseys (+ Poll)

CryWolf

New Jersey Designs  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new Sabres jerseys?

• Great design - love 'em!
    • They're ok, but they could have done better
    • They look like they were made from the entrails of a St. Louis Rams jersey
    • The Sabres have a new jersey design?
  2. 2. What do you think of the new Ducks jerseys?

• Great design - love 'em!
    • They're ok, but they could have done better
    • Who is the quack who came up with this design?
    • The Ducks have a new jersey design?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what does everyone think of the new jerseys released this year for the Ducks and the Sabres. Any thoughts?

You know someone on the Sabres' marketing staff was smoking crack when they decided to make the old jersey their thirds and add numbers to the upper right shoulder. Very very bad design.

So, what does everyone think of the new jerseys released this year for the Ducks and the Sabres. Any thoughts?

I have to comment here, being a die-hard Sabres fan...

I really like the new Sabres jerseys. Call me crazy - I just think they're something new, fresh and unique. Don't get me wrong though, I'm ashamed by our new logo. It's horrible and I truly hope that it goes the way of the Islander's fisherman and we can get something better to represent our team. I know a lot of people are staunchly opposed to new look, regardless of the logo, but I personally enjoy the new designs, so long as the league never impliments the proposed 'tuck in' rule.

As for the Ducks new jerseys... I like them. Again, call me crazy - I think they're simple, effective and a good departure from the Disney look that so many people still associate with the team. I think the Ducks look like a strong contender this year, and it's much easier to take them serious with their new uniforms. The black jersey is pretty sharp - I like the color combination they chose - and the white one isn't bad either. They're a little simple with the wordmark logos, but I think that Ducks fans should consider themselves lucky; they could have a hideous new logo like us Sabres fans. I'd rather be safe and simple with the logo than go with some concept that might turn out to be hated.

All in all, both uniforms could use some tweaking, and both are facing some opposition/disgust from the fans. I have a feeling that we'll all get used them after a while, and of course, some people will always hate them, but I suppose we'll just have to see how things turn out in the next couple of years.

I have to comment here, being a die-hard Sabres fan...

I really like the new Sabres jerseys. Call me crazy - I just think they're something new, fresh and unique. Don't get me wrong though, I'm ashamed by our new logo. It's horrible and I truly hope that it goes the way of the Islander's fisherman and we can get something better to represent our team. I know a lot of people are staunchly opposed to new look, regardless of the logo, but I personally enjoy the new designs, so long as the league never impliments the proposed 'tuck in' rule.

As for the Ducks new jerseys... I like them. Again, call me crazy - I think they're simple, effective and a good departure from the Disney look that so many people still associate with the team. I think the Ducks look like a strong contender this year, and it's much easier to take them serious with their new uniforms. The black jersey is pretty sharp - I like the color combination they chose - and the white one isn't bad either. They're a little simple with the wordmark logos, but I think that Ducks fans should consider themselves lucky; they could have a hideous new logo like us Sabres fans. I'd rather be safe and simple with the logo than go with some concept that might turn out to be hated.

All in all, both uniforms could use some tweaking, and both are facing some opposition/disgust from the fans. I have a feeling that we'll all get used them after a while, and of course, some people will always hate them, but I suppose we'll just have to see how things turn out in the next couple of years.

The problem I have with the Ducks shirts are the lack of shoulder patches. I also think the logo on the front is too small and the fonts to the lettering don't compliment anything.

The problem I have with the Ducks shirts are the lack of shoulder patches. I also think the logo on the front is too small and the fonts to the lettering don't compliment anything.

You're right - I think there should be shoulder patches. That would definitly be an improvement. The D foot and lettering could also be a little bit bigger, but I don't mind the font too much and I enjoy the colors. Good point about the shoulders though.

Someone dropped the ball with the Sabres logo. Would have been nice if they got some fan input first. Then it wouldn't feel as if Quinn was jamming it down fans' throats.

Good to see someone from the Sabres boards finally come over! The logo is definitly shameful.

I don't know how many organizations actually do it, but in an ideal world, I'd like to see fan input used in all kinds of decisions regarding changes made to popular forms of entertainment, such as local sports teams and such. The test groups they recieved data from (if any) should have been Sabres fans - not... whoever they were.

Good to see someone from the Sabres boards finally come over! The logo is definitly shameful.

I don't know how many organizations actually do it, but in an ideal world, I'd like to see fan input used in all kinds of decisions regarding changes made to popular forms of entertainment, such as local sports teams and such. The test groups they recieved data from (if any) should have been Sabres fans - not... whoever they were.

As a retailer that we believe has a very close connection and understanding of our customers - passionate hockey fans, we too feel overlooked by our suppliers. Retailers are in a much better position to understand what works for the customer than wholesalers, and unfortunately teams and manufacturers aren't as concerned with the retailer and end consumer as they should/could be. I can understand that manufacturers can't necessarily use a fan focus group to determine jersey designs (the NHL and other leagues are VERY protective of new designs until the official launch), however a few knowledgeable retailers can certainly provide valuable input in this area, while representing the fan voice - as it is our jobs to understand the end consumer in terms of what they like and don't like.

We do have a few of our smaller manufacturers who recognize this and consult us on new directions and designs, and we believe it helps guide them in the right direction with product - while also improving the chances of the product being a sales success.

As a retailer that we believe has a very close connection and understanding of our customers - passionate hockey fans, we too feel overlooked by our suppliers. Retailers are in a much better position to understand what works for the customer than wholesalers, and unfortunately teams and manufacturers aren't as concerned with the retailer and end consumer as they should/could be. I can understand that manufacturers can't necessarily use a fan focus group to determine jersey designs (the NHL and other leagues are VERY protective of new designs until the official launch), however a few knowledgeable retailers can certainly provide valuable input in this area, while representing the fan voice - as it is our jobs to understand the end consumer in terms of what they like and don't like.

We do have a few of our smaller manufacturers who recognize this and consult us on new directions and designs, and we believe it helps guide them in the right direction with product - while also improving the chances of the product being a sales success.

That's really interesting. I always wondered to what extend the larger retailers had an effective on the manufacturers. Hearing that the vendors feel as left out as the fans in this decision should certainly fuel some of the fire going around in Buffalo message boards where everyone is protesting the new look. Hopefully more of them than just Gil click my link and come on over to read about it. Still, very interesting. Can you disclose any of the companies that do go to the retailers for marketing opinions? Or is that information off limits to civilians? ;)

That's really interesting. I always wondered to what extend the larger retailers had an effective on the manufacturers. Hearing that the vendors feel as left out as the fans in this decision should certainly fuel some of the fire going around in Buffalo message boards where everyone is protesting the new look. Hopefully more of them than just Gil click my link and come on over to read about it. Still, very interesting. Can you disclose any of the companies that do go to the retailers for marketing opinions? Or is that information off limits to civilians? ;)

It probably wouldn't be fair for me to mention specific manufacturers, as I can't speak for all retailers, I can only speak from our perspective. However a few of the smaller manufacturers represented on our site definitely value our input. It also helps that we have been in the sports licensing business with some of these suppliers for almost 20 years now - so there is a respectful and open dialogue. That is actually part of the purpose behind this board - we hope once we get ramped up, to get some of the manufacturers on here with us, and maybe help them to get more in touch with the fans when it comes to hockey merchandise (as opposed to most boards out there that are just about the game). If all goes according to plan, this will be an avenue where we as retailers can learn from our customers, and manufacturers can learn too - while also providing our customers with a more direct link to the people who shape hockey softgoods.

It probably wouldn't be fair for me to mention specific manufacturers, as I can't speak for all retailers, I can only speak from our perspective. However a few of the smaller manufacturers represented on our site definitely value our input. It also helps that we have been in the sports licensing business with some of these suppliers for almost 20 years now - so there is a respectful and open dialogue. That is actually part of the purpose behind this board - we hope once we get ramped up, to get some of the manufacturers on here with us, and maybe help them to get more in touch with the fans when it comes to hockey merchandise (as opposed to most boards out there that are just about the game). If all goes according to plan, this will be an avenue where we as retailers can learn from our customers, and manufacturers can learn too - while also providing our customers with a more direct link to the people who shape hockey softgoods.

If I can get people to actually to read that last post (I'll quote it!) than you've just sold this forum to the entire Buffalo Sabres blue and gold forum on the official site. That sounds like something incredible to aspire to and something that any fan of the sport would want to be a part of. I still find all of this really interesting.

If I can get people to actually to read that last post (I'll quote it!) than you've just sold this forum to the entire Buffalo Sabres blue and gold forum on the official site. That sounds like something incredible to aspire to and something that any fan of the sport would want to be a part of. I still find all of this really interesting.

Sure - sounds good. We would love to hear from Sabres fans... great hockey town, with a great team!

I am over from the Sabres.com boards too, same name, same thoughts here.

The Sabres logo sucks no questions! They had a chance to do something great & they blew it. I can honestly say, I won't wear anything with the Slug logo on it. The jerseys aren't a return to the "Blue & Gold" they are another modification to the Sabres unis and team identity. "Midnight Blue & Maize" are I guess technically blue and gold, but so are perriwinkle and metalic gold leaf! How would that look? The Slug looks nothing like a Buffalo & from what other fans say to me here in Japan everyone has a snide jab to throw my way. It's been said it looks like Barney Rubble or Donald Trump's hair piece, puke, baby diaper stain, Slug, Bannana and my best friend (a Leaf's fan) says it looks like "Angry Sp&rm" That one hurts the most. The team is great & I will follow them, I'll buy all manner of Vintage logo wear & when I move back to WNY (if that day ever comes I'll have season tickets. I will never spend dime one to buy this crap logo or merchandise with the Slug on it......... Basically I'm saying I don't like it.

The Ducks Uni is so much like the Penguins at first glance, needed a new set of colors.

The Sabres Uni is ok at best, I really don't like the shade of yellow or that crummy slug. The vintage logo on the new jerseys may have been helpful.

The Ducks Uni is so much like the Penguins at first glance, needed a new set of colors.

The Sabres Uni is ok at best, I really don't like the shade of yellow or that crummy slug. The vintage logo on the new jerseys may have been helpful.

Yeah - I think we can all agree that an updated rendition of the vintage logo would be far more attractive than what we've got now. :(

Hey Wolf, can you tell us anything about this rumor that the NHL will eventually make every team tuck in their jerseys and wear new form fitting styles, designed to be tucked in?

I heard that fell through but can't guarantee it obviously, it's heresay. The tucked in jersey creates conflicts with a lot of jersey styles because of lower trim details like the Canadiens, Kings, etc.

Certainly would like to know for sure, I hate how Reebok is looking to overhaul everything. It's a shame.

I heard that fell through but can't guarantee it obviously, it's heresay. The tucked in jersey creates conflicts with a lot of jersey styles because of lower trim details like the Canadiens, Kings, etc.

Certainly would like to know for sure, I hate how Reebok is looking to overhaul everything. It's a shame.

Yeah. I know Reebok has the exclusive rights for NHL authentics now, but where do they get off trying to change everything up in their first year? As far as I'm concerned, they're not even a hockey company. I know it conflicts with so many teams, which is largely why I'm concerned. Are they going to change all of those team's jerseys too? I'd be furious if they started tinkering with original six logos.

I think they realize the backlash that would occur...I hope anyways. It seems Reebok has this belief that the NHL is rebuilding because they lost everything in the lock out. So to rebuild their idea is to re-do all the jerseys and make a fresh start. Yeah..I don't think so Reebok.

I think they realize the backlash that would occur...I hope anyways. It seems Reebok has this belief that the NHL is rebuilding because they lost everything in the lock out. So to rebuild their idea is to re-do all the jerseys and make a fresh start. Yeah..I don't think so Reebok.

Yeah - thanks, but no thanks. Hockey is built on tradition. Even when rebuilding, tradition has to set the framework. I don't mind innovation in some areas. I can accept our new jerseys (logo has got to go!), but to change the entire league would be steppin way out of line.

Yeah - thanks, but no thanks. Hockey is built on tradition. Even when rebuilding, tradition has to set the framework. I don't mind innovation in some areas. I can accept our new jerseys (logo has got to go!), but to change the entire league would be steppin way out of line.

I hate to say it, but league-wide change is a possibility. As far as the tucked in jersey concept, just take a look at the new Sabres design... do you see any lower body striping? What about the new Swift International jerseys? This might be a sign of things to come, which means original 6 changes too - at least the elimination of lower jersey striping.

Anyhow, I've started a new thread on this topic, so we should carry it on over there...

I love the new Buffalo Sabres jerseys! I think that the logo looks sharp - a little different - but it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be.

I know i'm a whisper on the NYC streets, but I really like the way it looks, and I think that when Reebok changes everything come next season, that the Sabres will be the cream of the crop when you look at jersey designs around the league.

Flame if you like, I don't care - just don't think that there aren't any people that don't like the new logo as well - how do you think we sold out the SabreStore twice already? Or that there's a 5 week wait on personalized jerseys? If people were truly unhappy with it why are we selling out? Don't say it's the people that buy the jersey so they can support the team - they'd do that with Vintage gear if they truly hated the new ones.

My only complaint on the Sabres new jersey scheme is that they wear the equipment for the new logo/design with the vintage uni's. That doesn't make sense, and they look stupid. Vancouver wore their vintage the other night, and had matching everything, even Luongo's mask.

The Raccoon Slug logo reminds me of the San Diego Chargers logo, while the pattern on the jersey screams "football" to me.

The Ducks' look, I don't mind so much.

I'm just dreading the day when the Red Wings and Maple Leafs' traditional uniforms get changed.

When I first saw the design of the new Sabres jersey I didn't like it. When I actually saw it on the ice, I thought it looked pretty good.