1995-96 Stanley Cup Patch Head Ache

CobraAcess

I know there is a patch thread already, but this is going to be a quite complicated and much larger post than I want to throw into the patch thread.

The back story behind this frustration is, I found out one of my jerseys was fake. Since then I've been learning about Stater Mesh, and have decided to build Forsberg, Sakic, Roy, and Foote 1995-96 Stanley Cup jerseys, both home and away. In Authentic Stater Mesh of course. It's all of the players who have retired numbers and were on that team. (Foote is about to be..., and that excludes Bourque)

So...

What would you do if you were building a 1995-96 Stanley Cup Jersey, as it pertains to the Stanley Cup patch? This gets more complicated below....

The easy answer might be to just buy a National Emblem reproduction right? It's licensed... I don't know... I'm not in love with their repro to be honest. At least not for an away burgundy.

Joel (SuperTheGreat) sent me a link for a breakdown of the 95-96 jersey construction here : http://anyonebutdetroit.com/2011-articles/august/avs-jersey-post-1995-96.html

and on their post. It looks like they are saying there are different patches between games 1 & 2, and then games 3 & 4. Basically Home and Away Stanley Cup patches. WTF?

Here is their linked picture of a home jersey Stanley Cup Finals patch they are saying is a legit 'White' home patch.

patch.jpg

Looks pretty clean to me, and with the other knowledge in that post. I believe it to be honest. (Maybe someone can proof this?)

The biggest discrepency I've been seeing when looking at offical patches for sale is the white or silver line of thread that runs down the right side of the Stanley Cup. That is missing on the 'Official' NE reproduction sold at SportsK.com

----

However here is a picture of a Away 95-96 Sandis Ozolinsh Stanley Cup Finals patch on a 'Game Worn' jersey. The jersey was auctioned off on GameWornAuction.net.

18955.jpg

There is a line still present running down the right side of the Stanley Cup Patch, yet it's silver and closer to the black (right) edge of the Stanley Cup. You can barely see it if you look close. That patch also does not have the blue boarder around the NHL badge.

The line work in the Stanley Cup is also tighter as well. Than either the first home picture (Especially that one) or the actual reproduction done by National Emblem.

Ok one more picture... This is what Murf is selling at MurfandPat.com (He also e-mailed me the same picture.) His are the most expensive at 20$ a piece.

patch-stanley96.jpg

The one on the left has thinner lettering, and a jacked up off center cut of the patch (Look at the bottom right). The actual detail inside the patch is very good though. Clean lines in the cup and all. As well as the silver line that runs down the right side of the cup.

However, it's missing the thicker brighter letters and brighter cup outline of the original. But wait the one on the right has the brighter white outline of the cup and thicker letters. As well as a proper cut of the black patch backing. (Head explodes) Unfortunately this one (right) has weaker detail in the actual Stanley Cup itself. And a darker silver thread than either the one on the left, or the legit one.

But wait... If you look at the first 'Home-White' picture I posted, the detail in the Cup isn't paramount. As the lines along the left side of the Stanley Cup are not perfect, and the top one is even a little curved. BUT... it has the white line in it.

Basically what it comes down to is that I HATE THEM ALL, except the real one of course.

Really with all of this? It seems like the biggest joke of all, the legit reproductions are missing just as much as the other reproductions and they all seem to have mixed aspects of the patch.

I mean the Ozolinsh patch has to be the best reference right? One more thing... On National Emblems reproduction they use a blue outline of the NHL badge in the center of the patch. I don't see that in the Away Ozolinsh, but I do see it in the first home-white picture I posted.

Personally it would make sense to get whatever matches the Away game worn jersey the best. Figuring out which that is, is going to make my head explode.

Should I just go with a National Emblem patch regardless, since their patches are licensed? I'm having a really hard time deciding which ones to get. Because I don't love the fact that there is blue around the NHL shield, and the game worn away jersey depicted does not have that.

If anyone has extensive experience with this, or two game worn home and away 95-96 Colorado Avalanche Stanley Cup Jerseys, and can post pictures or comment. I'd appreciate it...

(This is insanity...)

Edit : This is the SportsK image, that is the National Emblems their selling.

sports_k.gif

Notice the blue boarder around the NHL logo, and a lack of white line? The black line work in the Stanley Cup is thick and not consistent with anything else either.

Sheesh. And I thought the '94 Cup Final patch was a pain.

Dude! You are ABSOLUTELY BUILT to be an authentic hockey jersey collector! What the h*ll took you so long to get the sickness? Your attention to detail is perfect for this hobby! I'll be reading along and asking your advice when you get all this down. Very interested....

So, you're saying National Emblem's patch isn't the real deal and doesn't look like the patches in your pics?

Also, I had no idea the patches were different between games 1/2 and 3/4. Great find. Frustrating, but good stuff man.

Dude! You are ABSOLUTELY BUILT to be an authentic hockey jersey collector! What the h*ll took you so long to get the sickness? Your attention to detail is perfect for this hobby! I'll be reading along and asking your advice when you get all this down. Very interested....

So, you're saying National Emblem's patch isn't the real deal and doesn't look like the patches in your pics?

Also, I had no idea the patches were different between games 1/2 and 3/4. Great find. Frustrating, but good stuff man.

Haha, dude... It's insane NOTHING I find is 'exactly' like either of the on-ice patches. Check out that link to AnyonebutDetroit you sent me... They have different pictures listed for both the white and burgundy jerseys, and it says 'Only worn in games 1 & 2 of the Finals' and then 3 & 4 for the away...

The patches do have subtle differences, so, it makes sense.

It also would make sense if someone came up with the idea of using the white thread and the blue boarder for the NHL logo in order to make the patch pop against a white background better. Another difference is the circumference of the 'sun' and where the shine lines come off of it. Most notibly where it meats the bottom curve of the '9' in '19'. On the one they list as 'Home-white' the 'Sun' stops at the edge of the '9' and then the shine line starts inside of the hook of the 9.

In the away patch on both the one they show, and the Gamewornauctions jersey, the 'Sun' fills the hook of the first '9' and the shine line staters farther out.

However I'm not really sure either of their pictures are legt on ice patches for sure either (More so with their away link). Looking at the one from Gamewornauctions, the line work inside (Top) left of the Stanley cup is much tighter on the gameworn Ozolinsh jersey.

The crap is mind blowing...

About the National Emblem patches,

Yeah, let me try and find a way to post the picture. SportsK wouldn't let me post a direct link to their picture in here. I'll see if I can get it to work a different way and update the post.

Edit : I basically have not seen two pictures from different sources that are EXACT matches yet... There is ZERO fn consistancey here to go off of. The one I trust the most is the Gamewornauctions picture, it has the best detail and line work of all of them to be honest. As well as a correct cut, and notice that the sewing never stopped when making the letters? Only in between words.. The letters are all linked within each word.

The only two that have the same attached letters at the same points and everything are the first picture I posted from AnyonebutDetroit, and the Away I posted from Gameworn.

So I think that's our legit on-ice Home & Away patches between those two... Even that is not exact either, but the letters are consistently attatched at the tail of each, yet the spacing is different.

(Yeah, you need to be a little nuts to notice all of this stuff and care that much. It's contegious obviosly haha.)

So have you decided on which patch you're going to buy for your jersey?

So have you decided on which patch you're going to buy for your jersey?

I PMed you on HF, but it's relevent so I'll post it here as well.

I think you can attribute the crest tilt(s) to the hurry job by NHL and Starter. BTW, wow. I never really noticed that all those '95 gamers had the crest tilted WAY clockwise. The point of the crest isn't even pointing up to the center of the collar - on ANY of them. And, I just called up a game NHL network replayed a few weeks ago from the '95/'96 season and I just saw Roy's jersey on closeup. The tilt clockwise is just as bad as in the pics. I think they were in such a hurry, and don't forget, no one knew anything because there was no history or no precedence set. I also know that through the '90s Starter manufactured authentic jerseys in not only 3 different places, but 3 different countries. The team's jerseys were made in Berlin Wisconsin USA. Most retail authentics were made in El Salvador, and a small handful were made in Haiti. Who knows what specs they were using? Who knows who got what crests, or who made what templates based on what information? I have seen some really bad tilts on Avs jerseys and I totally hear what you're saying about removing it and making it look right. Yet another issue with crests on Starter retail authentics: the crests were almost always sewn on way too high. This makes sewing on patches (Stanley Cup patches, or Assistant "A" patches) a pain because there isn't enough room between the crest and the piping to place the patch so that it doesn't run over onto the crest or the piping. I actually had to remove both crests on my whites (El Salvador, both) and move them down about an inch to get them in the right place and give enough room to place patches. I am sure that the crest they used for '95s is smaller. Since '96/'97 the crests have been bigger and look slightly stretched out. This is only the case for authentics, though. Replicas (which is what's out there to be seen most) all have smaller crests than authentics until CCM got the contract for team jerseys in 2001. Believe me, I'm with you when you say you want to make your jerseys look exactly right. I just can't believe I found someone who has a higher level of attention to detail.

On the patches I've always noticed the cut/tip issue. Every patch I've ever seen for sale has had sharp pointed tips. But all the patches I've seen in pics from gamers have the rounded/blocked ends. I always thought I'd just get the scissors out and round the tips off if I ever had to. Keep me posted. I'm gonna need one for a white '95 in the future and I'll need to know what's out there and where to get it.

Joel

From what I'm seeing, (And I stopped looking at those for a few hours, it was making me upset.) with a white I'd go with the NEs because they have the blue boarder around the NHL badge.

At least that's what I plan to do... I may end up buying from Murf or Rivercitysports, when it comes to the Aways.

Rivercity's does not have the blue boarder, and is closer to the away style lol!

River City Sports

12857.jpg

Ozolinsh Away Gamewornauctions picture

18955.jpg

National Emblem's patch (Sold by SportsK)

sports_k.gif

Supposedly game worn Home picture from the AnyonebutDetroit blog.

patch.jpg

Look how close those match in color huge inside the cup, thickness of the lettering, and everything.

The major missing thing is that white or silver line, and it's missing in both. It probably wouldn't be hard to ask a place to embroider the white or silver onto the patch in the correct way. As long as you sent them both pictures.

Then make sure you have the corners cut off before they are sent, and you have the closest thing your going to get IMO. At least that way both patches are from reputable dealers with good name recognition as well. If you say my 'Away has a rivercitysports Stanley Cup patch' and 'My home has a National Emblem Stanley Cup patch'. I don't see how anyone could complain considering the circumstances and the other BS that's out there.

Definitely doing the main crest tilted clockwise and moved down a touch as well, especially if I have to move it anyway for the patches.

Edit : I just noticed something else...

Look at how the 'E' (In EASTERN CONFERENCE) in the RiverCity patch tapers from the top line of the 'E' to the middle, and then to the last line. The spacing between the right tip of the 'E' and the 'A' is fairly consistent when compared to the on-ice.

Now look at the National Emblem 'E', and the Home-white 'E', those fonts and spacing match better as well. It's very slight but that taper in the 'E' lines isn't as deep/drastic in either patch as the other two.

So another confirmation that those specific patches match the best depending on home or away, and when trying to get something as close to the 95-96 on-ice patches as possible.

River City Sports for the 95-96 Burgundy Away jersey (10$)

https://www.rivercitysports.com/US/details-06.cfm?sku=12857

SportsK (By National Emblem) for the 95-96 White Home jersey (12$)

http://www.sportsk.com/stcuppa193.html

The left patch from Murfandpat looks the closest the the home patch and the NE patch looks closest to the away patch.

The RCS patch looks terrible and you will probably get raped on shipping.

The left patch from Murfandpat looks the closest the the home patch and the NE patch looks closest to the away patch.

The RCS patch looks terrible and you will probably get raped on shipping.

The RCS picture is kind of crappy,

However, Murf only has one of those. So even if you could manage to salvage it, that would be it, oh and it's 20$. So regardless of shipping from RCS buying patches through them is double the normal cost for something that does not have a trackable background regardless.

I'm probably going to order a couple from RCS, and I'll post better pictures. So we'll see once I get a couple.

The RCS picture is kind of crappy,

However, Murf only has one of those. So even if you could manage to salvage it, that would be it, oh and it's 20$. So regardless of shipping from RCS buying patches through them is double the normal cost for something that does not have a trackable background regardless.

I'm probably going to order a couple from RCS, and I'll post better pictures. So we'll see once I get a couple.

I just ordered one from SportsK. So, I'll post mine if you post yours :blink: and we can compare then to the pics above.

I just ordered one from SportsK. So, I'll post mine if you post yours :blink: and we can compare then to the pics above.

Sounds good, I'll probably order mine tomorrow. So we'll see haha.

Great thread. I'm getting this exact away jersey done up as Sakic, I just got his auto on a number this past weekend. I also picked up a 1996 SCF patch from RCS awhile back.

It's a '95 Avs par-TAY!!!! Just got a '95 white Forsberg off Ebay. Gonna put my NE '96 SCF patch on it (duh).

SNAP, 300 posts - and still zero warning points.

Great thread. I'm getting this exact away jersey done up as Sakic, I just got his auto on a number this past weekend. I also picked up a 1996 SCF patch from RCS awhile back.

Was this Sakic's autograph signing at the Fan Expo Sports Show? If so, how was it? Was there a big turnout?

Modano was originally scheduled to be at that show, but cancelled, likely cause his wedding is coming up this Sunday (Sept. 1).

Was this Sakic's autograph signing at the Fan Expo Sports Show? If so, how was it? Was there a big turnout?

Modano was originally scheduled to be at that show, but cancelled, likely cause his wedding is coming up this Sunday (Sept. 1).

damm, Allison Micheletti........................ the daughter of former NHL player and current New York Rangers broadcaster Joe Micheletti.........she only 24 :o mike is 43

Yeah, I went to the Fan Expo to get it. The turnout throughout the entire weekend was pretty good, Sakic may have had the longest lineup, or it could have been Brodeur. I was there on Sunday at 12:20, hoping to get close to the front of the line. Wrong, over 100 people ahead of me already. Sakic was suppose to start at 1:00, but didn't arrive until 1:17. I didn't get up there until an hour later, so I practically waited two hours. But he was a nice guy, talking to people and taking some pictures. Been waiting a long time for him to do any sort of signing in Toronto, so to me it was worth it. I tried to chase him down last year during the HOF ceremony but no luck.

Yeah Modano was suppose to come. But I already got his autograph awhile ago through a connection I have with the Dallas Stars.

I was most happy about the Joe Montana autograph that I got on a 49ers helmet. Huge 49ers fan and it's a grail for me. Surprisingly, Montana probably had the least amount of people getting his autograph. We don't get too many NFL players travelling up here, but a legend like him should have attracted a bigger crowd. This likely means very few if any NFL players will ever come up again. Sucks for us.

Good stuff. I'm surprised too that Montana didn't draw a bigger crowd. That's too bad. Good to hear there was a fairly big turnout for Sakic and Brodeur.

I don't even remember the last time Sakic did a public autograph signing in Toronto. I'm sure Modano will be back again in Toronto for an autograph signing.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen several finals jerseys and the patch was different on all of them, I'll pm you and explain.

Finding "Accurate" on-ice versions of SC Patches is tough for this time period, 1995-1999.

Try to find one that matches the game-worn Avs version you posted, which has the circle R, TM, flat bottom right, no blue around the NHL.

In the end, if you find one like that and it has pointed ends, just trim them accordingly.

One other item to note is that the real deal versions were embroidered onto twill, which has a distinctive look when the light hits it just right.

(vs the diagonal texture on the one with the blue thread around the shield)

I've uploaded an image I've used to compare to the replicas.

http://shark.bz/images/SCP/1996_cup_patch.jpg

Best of luck!

S

Edited by Shark

Also, the 1995 Patches are designed in the same format, it wasnt until 1997-1999 that it changed, excluding the "Championships", circle R, TM and had a more defined border that followed the artwork.

Edited by Shark