It arrived today v. 7.0.0.0.0.0.0.1

Brilliant!

What you see there is a two-layer stacked twill with the dark blue border dyed on and stitched over. That's what the Bruins used for their arm numbers on the white jerseys as well as the back numbers for their dark jerseys. Eventually, that method was ditched for a single-layer dye-sublimated number for the dark jerseys.

You can see it here on a Bruins gamer from 97-98

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NHL-Boston-Bruins-Game-Worn-Hockey-Jersey-Tim-Taylor-1997-98-/221823501519

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that's tricky. Just casually looking at the pics you'd think they were kiss-cut, especially on the arm numbers. Thanks for the help!

That must have been Custom Crafted's way of saving money on twill. I have three Blues jerseys with that very customization. Starting from 1998-99 up until 2001-02.

DSC08240-vi.jpg

They used it until the lockout. Afterwards, it became a true reverse kiss-cut version using all twill.

The lockout also coincided with the change in vendor for the Blues' lettering from CC to Liebe. And Liebe has been using a stretch-twill for their lettering instead of regular tackle-twill. If you look at a current gamer, you'll see the difference in weave pattern.

Mike, on the white Starter you can see small gaps of royal blue between the gold and dark navy areas of the 7. How does that happen if one of the "layers" is screened? Is it the dark navy that's screened on top of a gold twill layer? If so, how is there any royal blue showing? Or is the gold area screened on top of the royal blue layer, and that gets stitched down on top of a dark navy twill layer? I just can't figure out how that number is constructed.

Edit: nvm, I think I got it figured out from Angelo's picture. It looks like the gold layer was screened onto the royal blue twill, then cut and stitched down on top of the navy twill.

Edited by LAK74

Thanks, Angelo. So let me see if I got this straight. The bottom layer is gold twill. The top layer is white twill but they screened a black strip around the perimeter of the white layer. When they cut the white layer, they didn't cut it cleanly around the black perimeter, so I assume this is why there are some white gaps between the black and gold areas. And they must have used black thread to stitch the white layer down to the gold layer. Does that sound right? Seems like a rather unusual way to save one layer of twill, and since they didn't have the precision of laser-cutting, it ends up looking a bit sloppy because of the white gaps between the black and gold areas.

I think what is going on is the middle layer is "embroidered" stitching... So 2 layers of twill and the middle layer is thread

On the Blues jerseys from late 2000's that is

Edited by zilch

Thanks, Angelo. So let me see if I got this straight. The bottom layer is gold twill. The top layer is white twill but they screened a black strip around the perimeter of the white layer. When they cut the white layer, they didn't cut it cleanly around the black perimeter, so I assume this is why there are some white gaps between the black and gold areas. And they must have used black thread to stitch the white layer down to the gold layer. Does that sound right? Seems like a rather unusual way to save one layer of twill, and since they didn't have the precision of laser-cutting, it ends up looking a bit sloppy because of the white gaps between the black and gold areas.

You've got the idea right. As for why the black layer doesn't cleanly cover the perimeter of the white layer could have to do with the way the layer was adhered to the twill. It was very common to see wonky lines in the letters on the Bruins white jerseys, which was done with the same method.

As for why... Beats me. Maybe it was more of a time efficiency issue than a materials issue. If the screening process could shave off a few minutes per number or per letter, then it all adds up after a while. I mean, it's like we've seen before - the Blues had a vinyl layer on their jerseys for over 10 years. And even today, all the Bruins sets (aside from the WC special sets) are 100% dye sublimated twill with stitched borders. Whatever works, I guess.

It's basically a semi kiss-cut style but instead of twill as the very top layer, it's vinyl. That's the best way to describe it.

Speaking of the Blues' alternate letters too, that Doug Weight I have has the A on the front(which is rare in itself) and it's cut in the same style as everything else.

I too was really surprised about this, as I always thought that the Blues' 1998-2004 stuff was regular kiss-cut. It looks to me that the back numbers on the Turgeon also have the screened/stitched top layer. You can see what looks like some narrow dark printed gaps not covered by the stitching, especially on the bottom serifs:

image_zpsw4n3r7sd.jpeg

I think what is going on is the middle layer is "embroidered" stitching... So 2 layers of twill and the middle layer is thread. On the Blues jerseys from late 2000's that is

Just so we're clear on this, I think you meant late-1990's to mid-2000's, right? Because as far as I know, since Liebe took over in 2005, they have been true 3-layer semi-kiss cut using all twill. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Edited by LAK74

Crap, my Photobucket cut down the resolution of the Turgeon photo, so I'll just post a direct link so you can see a sharper image:

http://www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/images/St.l/98-99_St.L_rd_Turgeon_bk.jpg

I am almost 100% sure Liebe has always done twill. I think they moved to stretch twill with the edge jersey. I also wanna say I have also seen that middle layer on the late '90's been completely thread as if it was embroidered, but maybe it's screened also and the stitches are just tighter/closer together. Also is screen print or vinyl?

A while ago I called Liebe to ask if the 6100's were stretch twill like the Edges, but the person who helped me didn't know.

I believe the last season for the layered "twill/vinyl/twill sandwich" was 1997/98, then screened from 1998-on. But again, if anyone has any gamers, please chime in, as I'd love to expand my knowledge of this topic.

I am almost 100% sure Liebe has always done twill. I think they moved to stretch twill with the edge jersey. I also wanna say I have also seen that middle layer on the late '90's been completely thread as if it was embroidered, but maybe it's screened also and the stitches are just tighter/closer together. Also is screen print or vinyl?

That's the way they stitched over that extra layer. Really close, tight stitches to cover up whatever "kiss cut" layer was put on. As for what material, the Blues was most often vinyl, as indicated by the shine you can see from LAK's example. But, take it case-by-case, because not every jersey was lettered equal.

My most recent pick-up from one of the Facebook groups. The tag says it's a 60 but it wears like a 56.

That one was a strip-job of mine way back when. The original owner had it hemmed and lettered as a Thomas, using a different supplier. The width of the body is the same as a 7187 size 60, but the hem and arms were shortened by the first owner.

About time someone picked up that Rask for so little coin. I would have grabbed it, but hate that alternate logo.

I've purchased a few jerseys off of Jeff as well, and he was great to deal with.

Thanks for the info, Angelo. I noticed that the width was a bit loose but it didn't swallow me up like a normal goalie cut jersey. Although I'd be the first to say never, ever hem a jersey, it's a cool feel with the Rask.

I was going to guess it was altered. I've not heard any other stories about Edge jerseys varying in size to that degree.