It arrived today v. 7.0.0.0.0.0.0.1

Brilliant!

Luckily I am a fan and a collector lol but Devilsguy is right. Trying to track one down and pay someone's asking price or outbid them is just insane. It stinks sometimes. Luckily I've been really lucky so far and haven't paid a lot at all.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily I am a fan and a collector lol but Devilsguy is right. Trying to track one down and pay someone's asking price or outbid them is just insane. It stinks sometimes. Luckily I've been really lucky so far and haven't paid a lot at all.

Just the nature of the business if you ask me. You want something in limited supply, you gotta want it more than the next guy.

Just the nature of the business if you ask me. You want something in limited supply, you gotta want it more than the next guy.

I don't want to clutter this thread with more since it has gone a little off the rails (not in a bad way just not what the thread is about). I will just post this one last response and leave it. I would def be into its own thread for this being created as I can go on forever about this.

Yeah limited supply can be fun, but forcing a limited supply is just silly. These one game and now one period wonders are the game worn equivalent to baseball cards companies like Upper Deck producing those 1/1 cards and other nonsense. They literally have thousands of those types of cards and it can get frustrating. These jerseys were initially novel, but when teams start pumping them out at the pace they are going out it can really turn off many collectors.

I have a buddy who used to collect Reading Royals gamers. Over the years, they have turned into one of the biggest offenders of having special jerseys for games to the point where it seemed like they wore the special jerseys as much, if not more than their regular jerseys. Each special jersey was a totally different design and were often auctioned off. Therefore my buddy had to compete against fans as well as collectors and the prices were always insane. As jersey collectors, one of the things I see almost every collector does is have a focus and try to get every style/era of their focus. If you are a TML fan, then you want all the different designs they have had over the decades. These teams are now putting in decades worth of design into one season! Its stressful both on the mind and wallet.

As a collector, I would rather take a nice game worn jersey worn in 10+ games with nice wear and repairs over a 1 game wonder where the design is different. I will be saving myself time, money and stress.

I don't want to clutter this thread with more since it has gone a little off the rails (not in a bad way just not what the thread is about). I will just post this one last response and leave it. I would def be into its own thread for this being created as I can go on forever about this.

Yeah limited supply can be fun, but forcing a limited supply is just silly. These one game and now one period wonders are the game worn equivalent to baseball cards companies like Upper Deck producing those 1/1 cards and other nonsense. They literally have thousands of those types of cards and it can get frustrating. These jerseys were initially novel, but when teams start pumping them out at the pace they are going out it can really turn off many collectors.

I have a buddy who used to collect Reading Royals gamers. Over the years, they have turned into one of the biggest offenders of having special jerseys for games to the point where it seemed like they wore the special jerseys as much, if not more than their regular jerseys. Each special jersey was a totally different design and were often auctioned off. Therefore my buddy had to compete against fans as well as collectors and the prices were always insane. As jersey collectors, one of the things I see almost every collector does is have a focus and try to get every style/era of their focus. If you are a TML fan, then you want all the different designs they have had over the decades. These teams are now putting in decades worth of design into one season! Its stressful both on the mind and wallet.

As a collector, I would rather take a nice game worn jersey worn in 10+ games with nice wear and repairs over a 1 game wonder where the design is different. I will be saving myself time, money and stress.

Yeah, I can see that. But you don't HAVE to buy one of each, nor are you automatically entitled to do so. There's obviously a lot of people willing to bid a lot of money on them, so its clear that people like the concept.

The fact that your buddy has to "compete against fans as well as collectors" is part of the hobby. That's who is supposed to buy the jerseys, fans and collectors. The fact that other fans and collectors are willing to spend more than your buddy isn't their problem, its his problem. The whole idea implies that your buddy should be entitled to a jersey just because he wants one, but that's not the way the world works, especially where a collectible is of limited issue. What you're really saying is, your buddy wants them but only at his price, not the price that other people, who have just as much of a right to the jerseys as he does, are willing to pay.

By your logic, maybe we should all set all of our prices in our forum ads at like $150, that way they're available to everyone at a fair retail price.

Your choice to buy a regular game worn at a lower price is just that, your choice.

Yeah, I can see that. But you don't HAVE to buy one of each, nor are you automatically entitled to do so. There's obviously a lot of people willing to bid a lot of money on them, so its clear that people like the concept.

The fact that your buddy has to "compete against fans as well as collectors" is part of the hobby. That's who is supposed to buy the jerseys, fans and collectors. The fact that other fans and collectors are willing to spend more than your buddy isn't their problem, its his problem. The whole idea implies that your buddy should be entitled to a jersey just because he wants one, but that's not the way the world works, especially where a collectible is of limited issue. What you're really saying is, your buddy wants them but only at his price, not the price that other people, who have just as much of a right to the jerseys as he does, are willing to pay.

By your logic, maybe we should all set all of our prices in our forum ads at like $150, that way they're available to everyone at a fair retail price.

Your choice to buy a regular game worn at a lower price is just that, your choice.

He isn't being entitled or acting like he should be. He just finds it tough to compete with the same fan crowd where they whine about the $600 asking price of an Adam Henrique gamer with good wear and some repairs that was worn in multiple games yet have no problems opening their wallets to spend $2175.00 on Henrique's HFC warmup jersey or $1825 on Henrique's warmup jersey on Marty night.

These teams see how much money is made from selling gamers so they come up with more and more gamers each year to sell to fans. You would swear some of these minor league teams wear a new jersey every game. It's just the way of things these days where wear and common sense are thrown out the window and the collector gets left in the dust in favor of the customer.

Everyone can do what they want with their money. It's just funny/frustrating and shows the mentality between a collector and a fan.

He isn't being entitled or acting like he should be. He just finds it tough to compete with the same fan crowd where they whine about the $600 asking price of an Adam Henrique gamer with good wear and some repairs that was worn in multiple games yet have no problems opening their wallets to spend $2175.00 on Henrique's HFC warmup jersey or $1825 on Henrique's warmup jersey on Marty night.

These teams see how much money is made from selling gamers so they come up with more and more gamers each year to sell to fans. You would swear some of these minor league teams wear a new jersey every game. It's just the way of things these days where wear and common sense are thrown out the window and the collector gets left in the dust in favor of the customer.

Everyone can do what they want with their money. It's just funny/frustrating and shows the mentality between a collector and a fan.

I don't get the distinction you are making. Its as if you feel like a "collector" is more entitled to a jersey than someone who is a "fan". Of course, if someone spends almost $2200 on a Henrique HFC warmup, I would call that person a collector. Its not like they bought it just to wear as another shirt. But even if they did, and they spent $2200 and they wear it to games, get wing sauce all over it, whatever, it was their money. And who cares if they "whine" about the prices of game jerseys otherwise? Its what they choose to buy.

Moreover, "collectors" are no more left in the dust than "fans" who cannot afford $2200 either. I don't collect game worns, but I'm a fan, and I was priced out on both the HFC and the Camo warmups because they all sold for more than I felt I would like to spend on them.

As an aside, I can't really be upset at limited supply items ending up in the hands of fans, arguably that's where they should be in the first place.

Edited by mfitz804

Don't want to get involved too much, but it's not fair to compare a regular gamer to any jersey auctioned off for charity. The charity aspect always multiplies the price, and it's to make money for a cause. Doesn't matter whose hands it ends up in as long as it makes money.

I don't get the distinction you are making. Its as if you feel like a "collector" is more entitled to a jersey than someone who is a "fan". Of course, if someone spends almost $2200 on a Henrique HFC warmup, I would call that person a collector. Its not like they bought it just to wear as another shirt. But even if they did, and they spent $2200 and they wear it to games, get wing sauce all over it, whatever, it was their money. And who cares if they "whine" about the prices of game jerseys otherwise? Its what they choose to buy.

Moreover, "collectors" are no more left in the dust than "fans" who cannot afford $2200 either. I don't collect game worns, but I'm a fan, and I was priced out on both the HFC and the Camo warmups because they all sold for more than I felt I would like to spend on them.

As an aside, I can't really be upset at limited supply items ending up in the hands of fans, arguably that's where they should be in the first place.

I don't think a collector is any more entitled to any particular jersey. I just think they have different mentalities and that's what's starting to sour the game worn hobby a bit. It drives prices up even further than what it needs to be.

A person who buys a single game worn jersey and that's it is not a collector. That's a customer. I have seen these people with these jerseys being worn at games and yes they get wing sauce and everything on them (no it doesn't bother me).

I think you would understand this more if you were into the game worn hobby. With replicas/authentics, there is almost always a never-ending supply on most jerseys you could ever want and don't have to deal with supply issues on a lot. There are very few replicas/authentics I would consider rare. For game worns, not so much.

Don't want to get involved too much, but it's not fair to compare a regular gamer to any jersey auctioned off for charity. The charity aspect always multiplies the price, and it's to make money for a cause. Doesn't matter whose hands it ends up in as long as it makes money.

That's why I also gave the example of the Brodeur night warmup jersey that went for over $1800. I can go down to Meigray right now and get a nice gamer with actual wear on it and pay list price and it would still be almost half the price.

I don't think a collector is any more entitled to any particular jersey. I just think they have different mentalities and that's what's starting to sour the game worn hobby a bit. It drives prices up even further than what it needs to be.

A person who buys a single game worn jersey and that's it is not a collector. That's a customer. I have seen these people with these jerseys being worn at games and yes they get wing sauce and everything on them (no it doesn't bother me).

I think you would understand this more if you were into the game worn hobby. With replicas/authentics, there is almost always a never-ending supply on most jerseys you could ever want and don't have to deal with supply issues on a lot. There are very few replicas/authentics I would consider rare. For game worns, not so much.

You keep talking about the price being where "it needs to be", but on these specialty jerseys, the market is setting its own price. Who determines what the price "needs to be"? The price is, as with every other item in the capitalist world, what people are willing to pay. That's why I am saying you are making a distinction between a collector, who wants the price to be as low as a regular gamer so he can buy it in the course of his collecting, and a fan, who is clearly willing to pay much more.

As JoeM added, the charity angle will always add to the price. Auctions in general, actually, tend to add to an item's price. Who among us hasn't overbid for something on eBay once or twice?

As for the Brodeur warmups, well its the night they honored the franchise's best player ever, obviously all kinds of fans are going to want a piece of that, whether its an $1800 jersey or a $15 patch, depending what they can afford/are willing to spend .he fact that the proceeds of that particular auction didn't go to charity is irrelevant because of the magnitude of what was being offered.

I may not collect game worns, but I did try on both the HFC and the Camo warmups as stated earlier. The prices got too high for me, so I bailed. Whether or not I collect game worn jerseys is irrelevant, as neither one of those styles are available at retail anyway so its not like there was another option, I'm subject to the same limit as everyone else.

Besides, I'm collecting something very specific; size 56 retail authentic Devils CCM Ultrafils and Devils related All Star jerseys. The supply of those are way more limited than, for example, game worn Edge jerseys. I don't know of a single one for sale at the moment, whereas MeiGray is stocked full with ordinary game worns.

And in any event, the supply of those specialty jerseys may be limited, but they are easily purchased if you want one. You just have to be willing to spend the money that other people who are buying them are willing to spend.

The whole argument reeks of "those fans are ruining my collecting by spending more money than I am willing to spend".

Edited by mfitz804

If I was going to pick a new team (I'm not) based solely on their jerseys (I wouldn't), it would have to be the Wild. That is a very nice looking jersey right there.

If I was going to pick a new team (I'm not) based solely on their jerseys (I wouldn't), it would have to be the Wild. That is a very nice looking jersey right there.

Agreed. I went from kinda looking for a Wild jersey as a gift for someone in November to owning four today (and counting). Just missing the current away jersey. They seem pretty scarce.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with those early Avs jerseys.

Otherwise looks good:)

I love those Avs.

Picked this up pretty cheap. No mention of it in the listing, but I'm pretty certain it's a stripped gamer. If it is it was pretty lightly used, but there's a good cut, a board burn, and blue paint transfer on the right sleeve. Plus I'm not aware of anyone having these Cargill patches other than EPS, who did the team. There's also faint remnants of a previous nameplate and a #12. Not that It matters much for my purposes, but I feel like that would be the type of thing you would tell people about when selling.

IMAG2442.jpg

Your blind I tell ya! :)

I see how it could look like that. Think it's because the shoulder patches don't allow the sleeves to be be folded over as much that it creates that allusion.

Oh ok.....thanks for the confirmation.....gotta hit up the optician....

I was trying to determine where the double elbows were and it seemed like slightly shortened sleeves......common thing with those Avs jerseys since they put that patch in the way where we commonly fold jerseys for pics.

.....someone think of the collectors!!....

hqdefault.jpg

Oh ok.....thanks for the confirmation.....gotta hit up the optician....

I was trying to determine where the double elbows were and it seemed like slightly shortened sleeves......common thing with those Avs jerseys since they put that patch in the way where we commonly fold jerseys for pics.

.....someone think of the collectors!!....

hqdefault.jpg

I'll admit I laughed at that lol.

If we're on the subject of taking pics, I'd also like to comment that the Toews is remarkably flat. I've never gotten an Edge with shoulder patches to look like that.

Was The Dude Abides involved? That'd explain a lot.

Had this thing laying around for what felt like ages, finally got around to customizing it:

100_1350_zpsycuizcmg.jpg

100_1356_zpsc9z5owz0.jpg

Beautiful Reggie!