replica, semi-pro, authentic differences

That guy is a moron, he lists "replica/fake" as the same thing. Different companies made jerseys for different teams in the 90's. Some teams used CCM, others used Nike, while some used Starter. For the 99-00 season, the teams who had been using Starter used Pro Player. The Wings and Flyers definitely used Nike in the mid-90's, while CCM was used pretty much league-wide prior to '95. CCM and KOHO were used exclusively by all teams starting in the 2000-01 season up until the lockout in 04-05, when Reebok bought The Hockey Company and rebranded all the CCM and KOHO stuff with their own logo for two seasons before introducing EDGE jerseys.

The long and short of it is that there are authentic Starter, Nike and Pro Player jerseys to be had for the teams that used them. CCM made replicas for every team regardless of year. CCM, KOHO and Reebok are not the only companies to have authentic jerseys. "Semi-pro" would be the same as "replithentic", which is what Nike called their Olympic jerseys in the 90's. They had 3 tiers of jerseys, replicas with alpha sizing, authentic, on-ice jerseys with numeric sizing and fight straps, and "replithentic" jerseys were in the middle. They had numeric sizing but were otherwise the same as replicas.

The overall idea of there being 3 types of jerseys is flawed. In some sports you do have multiple types - like football and baseball have a middle tier jersey (EQT or swingman jerseys). In the mid 90's and earlier there were lesser quality NHL replicas out there, I know CCM made some, and Nike did have a "middle tier" jersey in their Olympic jerseys in the 90s, but for the most part over the last 15+ it's just been two types of hockey jerseys - replica and authentic.

The old CCM/Koho 550 replicas were listed as "semi-pro" replicas but that was mainly just marketing language. Just as sometimes folks get hung up on the word "authentic" meaning "not counterfeit" as opposed to being what is worn on the ice, which is what most of us consider the word to mean.

That guide lists ProPlayer and Starter replicas in the "replica/fake" category and seemingly insinuated they were of less quality than the CCM/Koho "semi-pro" replicas which is false. The ProPlayer replicas were some of the highest quality replica jerseys ever made for the NHL and had many features (sewn crests, double elbows) that are often only found in on-ice authentics.

So what made those ProPlayer replicas a "lesser" product? The majority of the material it was constructed from?

So what made those ProPlayer replicas a "lesser" product? The majority of the material it was constructed from?

The material of the ProPlayer replicas was a heavy knit (except for the sublimated jerseys). Definitely had a woven "sweater" like weight to it, very warm and not something I'd ever consider cheap or flimsy. The Starter replicas were similar, a heavy knit also not flimsy, so I don't know what the guy who wrote that guide was thinking.

I've never understood why some people make a distinction between "replica" and "semi-pro"- to me they've always been the same thing.

Cygnus X-1, although the ProPlayer replicas weren't made of the exact same polyester knit as their authentics, I'd still say that a ProPlayer replica was of better quality and had more pro-like features than any CCM replica I've ever seen. Even a ProPlayer youth replica that I got for my son has the double elbows, double shoulders, stitched crest, and feels very solid. It's hard to even think of it as a "lesser product."

Pro Player replicas were definitely the best, I have one and even though it's huge and I'm considering selling it if I can replace it with a smaller size, it's still the nicest replica I own. Very heavy and well put together.

• 1 month later...

I sincerely apologize if this is the wrong place to put this question, and perhaps also that I am not a serious hockey jersey collector, but just someone enjoying past memories and present team fandom.

In 1983 I purchased a NY Islanders jersey at a small general sports store. I wore it and enjoyed for years, but then gave it away to a girl (I gave away a lot of my good stuff to girls over the years).

Last year, with the help of the information on this board, I replaced it with a ProPlayer replica jersey. The big thing I note is that the ProPlayer is much lighter than the jersey (CCM?) I had years ago. The first jersey was from a thicker, warmer, material without air holes. I would like to get another one like the one I had before. I see a lot of jerseys from that era on eBay that are made from "Maska Air Knit" or just "Maska" and "100% Polyester", but, from what I read here, I believe what I might be looking for is an "UltraFil" jersey.

If anyone could confirm or correct my understanding, or provide any additional information, I would be most grateful.

Would you be pretty sure about the date? Reason I ask is because the Islanders used mesh jerseys throughout the early 1980's, up to 1984 at least. These were pretty heavy but had very large holes, which doesn't sound like the material you mentioned. Even when the Isles initially switched from Sandow to CCM the jerseys were still mesh. If I'm not mistaken they didn't start to use ultrafil until 1985 or so. Even if CCM made ultrafil replicas in the early to mid 80's, I imagine they would have been pretty thin, and not nearly as thick as the Sandow retails, or even ProPlayer replicas that came much later. If you're pretty sure it was ultrafil, then perhaps the jersey may have been from the mid to late 1980's?

Thank you so much for your reply. I might not be remembering the material correctly, but I am fairly certain about the year, as I purchased the jersey after I got my drivers license, but before graduating from high school in 1984.

Another possibility here- I just remembered I have an old Sandow Leafs replica made of durene, a tightly-knit fabric (no holes) but with a bit more of a sheen to it than ultrafil. It's very possible Sandow may have made some of these for the Isles as well, since both were Sandow teams. This would probably have been around the early 80's.

Can I get an accurate comparison of jersey sizes. I currently wear a large on premier RBK jerseys but I am unsure as to what would be comparable for both authentic RBK jerseys and older jerseys CCM 6100 for example. Everytime I look up a jersey size table they are very different so I have no idea which one is accuracte.

The large premier jerseys I have measure about 24-25 inches across the chest. So what I want to know is what would be the best comparible size in both replica CCM jerseys, authentic 6100 jerseys and todays RBK jerseys because every chart varies by a few inches and it's driving me crazy.

BTW that is why I am selling my Koho Nolan jersey, it's a 52 and measures far too big. about 26 inches across the chest.

What about length? The various cuts/styles will vary in length- do you have a preference? I, for example, prefer my jerseys to not completely cover my whole hind quarters if possible.

Personally I don't care about length much at all. There is maybe a one inch difference between my replica RBK jerseys and my CCM jersey so it doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm just curious if a size 50 or size 48 will fit better in either authentic style. And how a large CCM replica compares to a large RBK replica.

Regarding CCM V550 replica series, 1990s Rangers blue away, I notice some (like pro-jerseys) have a multicolored CCM hem logo and others (SportsK) have the white CCM hem logo. I know the authentic blues had white hem embroidery, but is one replica better than the other or is it just a different production run?

SportsK sells official CCM replicas, no worries there. However I would advise you to be extremely careful about purchasing any CCM replica from Pro-jerseys. Both myself and a few others here have had some bad experiences with their jerseys- the one I purchased was made of the wrong material and had an incorrectly-shaped crest. I saw the Beukeboom one from pro-jerseys on eBay, and while I cannot say just from looking at the picture that it is not legit, the multicolored CCM hem logo is not one I remember seeing on Vintage series replicas (although there were some original (from the era) replicas that did have logos like that). The white logo on the SportsK one is what I have always seen on Vintage reissues. There was another member here who bought a Rangers from them and was very disappointed with it. If I remember correctly he may have said that the stripes on the jersey were actually screened on. Caveat emptor.

Thanks LAK! SportsK it is!

• 5 months later...

Felt like this was an appropriate place to ask:

Would it be worth it to buy an Uncrested CCM SemiPro and get it customized from top to bottom? I'm new (cleeeaaarly) and I'm trying to figure out what is best. I don't know how obscure it would be to find a CCM/KOHO Authentic Ottawa jersey in a 46 and such. I know patience is a virtue, but would it be a good alternative if I went with the Semi Pro and got everything put on?

Reference: http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/page/category/category_id/10/category_chain/1,10/name/Jerseys/#product_listing=%3Fcurrent_page%3D1%26results_per_page%3D0%26order_by%3Dcategory_product_position%26search_params%3DCategory_DELIMITER_id%3A10

Thanks in advance!

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, hausera said:

What's the story on the vintage authentic throwback jerseys? With those cursory fight straps?

ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR BULL s*** POST 

What do you mean?  Because I'm having some trouble deciphering what it was about the question that got you so bunched up?

Nevertheless,  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and explain myself in more depth. I don't know much about authentic's and replicas and fakes. I know a lot about game used jerseys. I collected them for 30 years. I got interested in picking up some non-gamers as I had sold the collection and wanted to get back in and have a little fun.

I have a Ray Borque vintage ccm old style jersey thats from the vintage replica series but it has a fight strap, is a size 52, and I think the material is a little heavier.  I never see anything like that on a dealer site online.  I see them  pop up on eBay and don't know anything about them.  I bought a Chinese fake once before and it doesn't look like those puffy numbers are used on the one I'm referring to. I don't like replica jerseys  so because the so to speak authentic vintage style is well priced They offer a good option.

I am looking right now at the mike bossy on eBay that is this similar to the bourque and so before I buy it I thought that it would be a good idea to ask the people hear about their opinions on that line of shirt.  

So I ask that you please forgive me.  I'm new to this hobby and cant ask a question intelligently yet. 

Anyone thoughts and opinions would be valued thank you

34 minutes ago, hausera said:

What do you mean?  Because I'm having some trouble deciphering what it was about the question that got you so bunched up?

Nevertheless,  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and explain myself in more depth. I don't know much about authentic's and replicas and fakes. I know a lot about game used jerseys. I collected them for 30 years. I got interested in picking up some non-gamers as I had sold the collection and wanted to get back in and have a little fun.

I have a Ray Borque vintage ccm old style jersey thats from the vintage replica series but it has a fight strap, is a size 52, and I think the material is a little heavier.  I never see anything like that on a dealer site online.  I see them  pop up on eBay and don't know anything about them.  I bought a Chinese fake once before and it doesn't look like those puffy numbers are used on the one I'm referring to. I don't like replica jerseys  so because the so to speak authentic vintage style is well priced They offer a good option.

I am looking right now at the mike bossy on eBay that is this similar to the bourque and so before I buy it I thought that it would be a good idea to ask the people hear about their opinions on that line of shirt.  

So I ask that you please forgive me.  I'm new to this hobby and cant ask a question intelligently yet. 

Anyone thoughts and opinions would be valued thank you

You bumping 2 year old threads to get your post count up 

oh wait I will see a sales thread from you in the next day or so