Winter Classic 2015

HawksFanInDC

The Caps new WC jersey should be their Classic Red jersey from the 80's. The current white WC jersey is from the 70's. But they need to make the front crest just like the original jerseys, not a patch but each letter individual stitched onto the jersey, the word Capitals is much bigger across the chest.

179485158aafbe4f.jpg

Buncha whiny bitches up in here as usual. BOOHOO MY TEAM WON'T GET TO PLAY A MEANINGFUL GAME IN THE WORST AND MOST ARBITRARY CONDITIONS POSSIBLE

History lesson: The Caps were promised the WC because they got completely screwed in two previous ones. They were supposed to play in the 2010 game at Fenway, at least until the NBC and Comcast forced the NHL to put their precious little Flyers in the game. Then to make it worse the Caps got pushed to the game next year where they took one for the league and were forced to play in Shitsburgh. Getting the 2015 WC in DC is the least the league can do for the favor David Steckel did for the entire world that game. His jersey should be retired not just for the Caps but league-wide during the 2015 game.

The "Rock the Red" thing is nothing more than marketing from Leonsis, the same great minds that brought you AOL direct mail CDs and the GroupOn IPO. It has nothing on the C of Red (and mullets) in Calgary. But the new red jerseys are nice so whatever as long as they got rid of the crap they were wearing.

The only choice for the 2015 jersey should be the red version of the current alternate/last WC jersey, and I'm going to buy it because I'm a consumer .

straight the Red thing is marketing. Simple way to get people to fork over more $$$ who had bought the old black/blue/bronze eras. Could be other teams do something similar, Calgary, Devils (really not surprised with the Devils). Just saying it's an extremely focused targeted effort unlike any I'd ever seen before, and no way they'd be in blue.

Guam, gotta love your Shitsburgh comment lol. Gotta say I'm in a similar mood seeing the Pirates celebrate the Nats' elimination last night (though it was a LONG, long shot from the start).

The Caps new WC jersey should be their Classic Red jersey from the 80's. The current white WC jersey is from the 70's. But they need to make the front crest just like the original jerseys, not a patch but each letter individual stitched onto the jersey, the word Capitals is much bigger across the chest.

179485158aafbe4f.jpg

My big issue with this? I hope and pray that they don't have that dinky little "Washington" on there. It just looks so out of place and is frankly unreadable.

Most likely scenerio is just a recolored 2011 WC though, patch and all. Just saying.

My big issue with this? I hope and pray that they don't have that dinky little "Washington" on there. It just looks so out of place and is frankly unreadable.

Most likely scenerio is just a recolored 2011 WC though, patch and all. Just saying.

Could you find a more arbitrary thing to complain about. The point is, individual letters sewn on the front looks better then one big patch. I've been a die hard since the mid 80's, there was a HUGE difference between the Authentics and the replicas. The current Winter Classic jersey looks just like the replicas with one patch that says Capitals. You take any other team, 80's KINGS jersey, without being up close you couldn't tell the diff between an Authentic vs Replica, both had one crest sewn on the front. The Caps jerseys were very different. Back in the 80's or early 90's if you tried buying an Authentic Caps jersey, they were always $50-$100 more then any other Teams authentics. I'm sure they wont do that, Crap, even the alumni game last Thursday night had jerseys that looked just like the orginals.

They really do need to stitch each letter on. I feel the current alts are sort of weak because of how they did it. If you ever see the youth size replicas... they have each letter sewn on and its super nice. Im already saving my pennies for an Eric Fehr jersey.

I love the idea of each letter being sewn, guys. It'll sit much better on the chest, if nothing else. But yeah, I can't help it. That little "Washington" looks so horrible.

That said, they'll be going '74 for the 40th, and the '74 "Washington" wasn't half bad, so I'm not too worried yet.

I'm saving my pennies for this and a Ducks purple authentic, too. Gotta decide who to have it done up in! Probably depends on who has a successful game that day lol.

• 2 months later...

Great, now they are going to be trucking trash from Philly into DC for the game.

What a joke. The Caps get screwed again because Comcast has the NHL by the balls. :noway:

Hey, look at it this way- at least your team is guaranteed 2 points in the standings lol

Which means 2 fewer reasons to get rid of GMGM. It's a lose-lose. :noway:

Great, now they are going to be trucking trash from Philly into DC for the game.

What a joke. The Caps get screwed again because Comcast has the NHL by the balls. :noway:

Man, you really seem to have a wide range on what "screwed" means.

First the Caps were screwed by not getting to be the away team in a game.

Then they were screwed because they "took one for the league" by being the away team.

Now, they're screwed because of their opponent? Wow.

I clearly must be living under a rock, but based on this thread is the 2015 Winter Classic going to be Caps hosting the Flyers in DC?

Do you have a link to an official announcement?

What venue -- Fedex Field or the Nationals' Stadium?

Both of those venues are terrible, but they won't be worse than Michigan Stadium at least. It will be at Nats Park, Snyder and Leonsis are not on friendly terms, so I seriously doubt it will be at RG3 Field.

West teams need to start hosting more of these outdoor games.

if i have to arbitrarily read the word arbitrary 1 more time in this thread....

the WC is for profit for the most part. It's a great idea and a cool game to watch, but the bottom line is....the bottom line. Opponents will always be close by to draw more fans that are willing to spend money once they get there. They have to fill a stadium, not the usual indoor venue.

I wonder if the league realizes that Crosby and Ovechkin are despised by just as many if not more fans than like them, and forcing the Penguins and Caps on TV all the time is a tuen-off to many.

I wonder if the league realizes that Crosby and Ovechkin are despised by just as many if not more fans than like them, and forcing the Penguins and Caps on TV all the time is a tuen-off to many.

The Winter Classic isn't really an event targeting diehard hockey fans, though. It's trying to sell to casual hockey fans who may recognize Ovechkin/Crosby/etc or people who don't know hockey at all. If you watch hockey religiously already, they don't need to cater to your needs and wants. They've already got you.

Events like this are supposed to be eye-catching and selling Crosby as the best player in the game or Ovechkin as the most exciting scorer is a lot more of a hook than a defensively sound 1-3-1 system.

The Winter Classic isn't really an event targeting diehard hockey fans, though. It's trying to sell to casual hockey fans who may recognize Ovechkin/Crosby/etc or people who don't know hockey at all. If you watch hockey religiously already, they don't need to cater to your needs and wants. They've already got you.

Events like this are supposed to be eye-catching and selling Crosby as the best player in the game or Ovechkin as the most exciting scorer is a lot more of a hook than a defensively sound 1-3-1 system.

Except they lose me when they do that. I am so turned off by the Crosby/Ovechkin over-promotion that I actually don't watch when they are playing, unless it is against the Rangers. I am very happy that the WC this year has neither of them.

Except they lose me when they do that. I am so turned off by the Crosby/Ovechkin over-promotion that I actually don't watch when they are playing, unless it is against the Rangers. I am very happy that the WC this year has neither of them.

That's my point. It doesn't matter if they lose you for one game. You'll watch 82 other Rangers games and playoffs. You'll buy merchandise (jerseys, at least, I assume). Possibly tickets. Maybe television packages. And so on.

If they can hook a group of hungover people on January 1 who don't watch hockey at all and get them interested, that's of way higher interest to the NHL.