Winter Classic 2015

HawksFanInDC

ESPN and The Washington Post are reporting the Capitals will officially announce tomorrow they have the 2015 Winter Classic. No news on venue or opponent, but living here I really hope it is at Nationals Park or RFK, so you can actually go to a bar beforehand and be in the city proper, instead of the boonies in Maryland that is Fed Ex Field.

Guess the Caps will go with their old school reds, or maybe something new, cannot imagine anyone wants the Screaming Eagles or Capital Dome hockey sticks back for this.

Yeah cause they haven't been in enough of these... X_X

Well, actually, the Bruins only have one.

And its pretty clear there's sort of a "club" of a few teams that will be recycled over and over for this.

I mean we have the Rangers in their second AND third this year, Pens in their third... Chicago already HOSTING again.

They need to spread the weath......I think, I may be mistaken, MInnesota gets kinda cold in the winter........maybe they could do it there one year? Or go the other way- FLA vs. TB in the Bridgestone Who Cares Classic.

:lol:

Well, actually, the Bruins only have one.

And its pretty clear there's sort of a "club" of a few teams that will be recycled over and over for this.

I mean we have the Rangers in their second AND third this year, Pens in their third... Chicago already HOSTING again.

The Rangers are not actually "IN" the Winter Classic, they have a pair of outdoor games that are part of the outdoor series or whatever it's called. It's not actually the Winter Classic, but I get what you're saying.

Have Calgary play Edmonton outside... Now that would be a good one..

Nats Park is most likely site - Nats owner is partner in Caps owner's sports entertainment group and FedEx Field should be booked up during that timeframe with Redskins' games. RFK is probably out since its almost 50 years old. Local papers are saying that Camden Yards is an outside possibility as well -

I wouldn't mind Nationals Park. I've been there when the Phillies have been in town and it's a nice park. I haven't been to Camden Yards yet so that would be great as well. Either way I'd love to go to this

It won't be in Baltimore, zero chance.

I seriously doubt they would have it in Baltimore when you consider how poor the relationship between the Nationals and the Orioles is because of the MASN network. There is some legitimate hatred between those two franchises and Leonsis and Lerner are joined at the hip already.

I'd LOVE to see Caps Blues vs. Robo-Penguin, but I doubt it. Not "classic" enough.

Plus, the Caps embrace red more than, IMHO, pretty much any team embraces any color in the NHL. It'll be their red 80's. Of that I have no doubt. Can you imagine thousands of screaming Caps fans clad in red cheering on a team in blue? The NHL won't want the confusion in a national game with that much of a spotlight. Not to mention, then it could become the Caps' new third and still "Rock the Red", that the home team ACTUALLY gets to see IN PERSON (hate the idea of away thirds, so dumb).

Red Wings?

As a Wings fan who lives in DC I have to agree with Thecapn. The Caps implore their fans to "Rock the Red" and every Caps fan going to the place knows to wear red...you don't see many Caps fans in white jerseys.

Wings organization doesn't really care what their fans wear and never seem to motivate their fans to do anything in terms of color coordination.

As a Wings fan who lives in DC I have to agree with Thecapn. The Caps implore their fans to "Rock the Red" and every Caps fan going to the place knows to wear red...you don't see many Caps fans in white jerseys.

Wings organization doesn't really care what their fans wear and never seem to motivate their fans to do anything in terms of color coordination.

Just realized that I didn't read all of his post. :wacko:

I think the NHL is still waiting for the Wild to become more of a marquee team. They have never really experienced any great success in their franchise history and their big free agent signings didn't really propel them to the next level yet. I think had they been better than an eight seed last year they would have got the Winter Classic.

obligatory shot at Capitals................I guess gotta keep giving a team of under achievers the spotlight. How many times were they poised to make a cup run in the past like 6 years?......end pot shot.

All ribbing aside, i keep hearing that with the whole flashy name and team thing, but for me personally aside from being a massive fan of the home town team, i just want to see some new teams playing in the WC.......sure Toronto is a nice novelty and I am all for seeing the Red Wings/Leafs rivalry reborn, but oh joy, another two Eastern teams going at it again next year. I mean if you want to showcase Eastern teams cool, but mix it up. Sens, Habs, Devils, all could be thrown into the mix. Western conf has some teams that would be fun, Wild, Jets, Blues, Blackhawks (again), Colorado, hell the Canucks I don't think have played outdoors. But I digress.........what it all comes down to is $$$$$ and the NHL can keep whoring out Ovie and other names to try and bring in the fans on the fencepost of watching the game.

Just realized that I didn't read all of his post. :wacko:

Ha! It's cool. I know that there are other teams that like people coming to games to wear certain colors (thinking of the Pens "whiteouts" for one), but jeez, Caps fans, and the organization, are nutso about red. Heck, Verizon Center bathes the entire arena in red light before every game during preskate. I don't go to the DC Convention Center often, so I don't know if it's common or not, but they lay down new red carpet every year for the Caps Convention - a pretty high expense for something that probably very few people would care about besides team management. They even gradually started painting all the steps at Verizon Center red (which looks kindof silly with all the purple seats, but whatever).

obligatory shot at Capitals................I guess gotta keep giving a team of under achievers the spotlight. How many times were they poised to make a cup run in the past like 6 years?......end pot shot.

All ribbing aside, i keep hearing that with the whole flashy name and team thing, but for me personally aside from being a massive fan of the home town team, i just want to see some new teams playing in the WC.......sure Toronto is a nice novelty and I am all for seeing the Red Wings/Leafs rivalry reborn, but oh joy, another two Eastern teams going at it again next year. I mean if you want to showcase Eastern teams cool, but mix it up. Sens, Habs, Devils, all could be thrown into the mix. Western conf has some teams that would be fun, Wild, Jets, Blues, Blackhawks (again), Colorado, hell the Canucks I don't think have played outdoors. But I digress.........what it all comes down to is $$$$$ and the NHL can keep whoring out Ovie and other names to try and bring in the fans on the fencepost of watching the game.

Meh, all DC teams are underachievers. Nats were supposed to win the World Series this year, right? And oh, RGIII's knee was no big deal...you kinda get used to losing when the chips are down in this city lol.

I'm sure it's more than just who will get the most viewers, it's also which teams will fill the stadiums. I can tell you this: DC stadiums get filled when Boston and Pitt teams are in town, but none more so than Philly, at least in my experience. Would seem to make sense to have two opponents that are close enough to each other for the away teams' fans to make a day trip of it, fill the stadiums more, etc. DC is such a transitory city that you could probably make that argument for lots of teams, though.

The WC should be for the great rivalries:

Detroit/Colorado (still?)

Vancouver/Chicago

Montreal/Toronto

I guess now Toronto/Buffalo

Calgary/Edmonton

Devils/Rangers etc.