The history of the Stanley Cup patch

tomtucker

Does anyone know what year the tradition of the cup patch on the jersey was started?

And do you know a website where i can see them all year by year? :stickhndl:

I think it was 1988, but I´m not quite sure. A friend of mine from Austria use to have a homepage with tons of patches that were used in the NHL.

I think it was 1988, but I´m not quite sure. A friend of mine from Austria use to have a homepage with tons of patches that were used in the NHL.

Aha, i would love to see a page with all those patches......Austria huh?....the home of a cool cat named Thomas Vanek.... :thumbsup:

Was it 1988? I thought 1989 was the first year with the Flames and Habs. I don't ever remember seeing a patch on Gretzly and Mess in 1988...I could be wrong though.

I just scoped some old pictures:

oilers_88cup.jpg

No patch on either the chest or the shoulder. 1989 was definitely the first year.

1989Flames.jpg

You can see the patch on a few shoulders there.

Now we're in my area of expertise.

Yes, 1989 was the first year of the finals patches and they were worn on the shoulder by Montreal and Calgary. The next year they moved to the right chest. The only exception is the 1994 New York Rangers, who wore then on top of their shoulder. 1994 was also the one year they made them smaller, which I was told was to accomdate the placement on the Rangers jerseys.

In 1993 there were two versions, English for the LA Kings and a French version for Montreal.

JeffB

Thanks for the info guys, let be add that i really liked the patches until last year, the 2006 and now 2007 look too "cheap", not near as beutiful as the ones from 2004 and back.

What do you think?

Me personally, I agree with you. The older patches I thought looked much neater. I don't like the style of patches they have now. Me personally I don't like the design of the western and eastern conference logos now either.

Me personally, I agree with you. The older patches I thought looked much neater. I don't like the style of patches they have now. Me personally I don't like the design of the western and eastern conference logos now either.

Which goes to show you that change just for the sake of change is never a good thing. Why mess with something that is already perfectly good?

Ha, ha......a Dunkin Donuts patch :D

The name Dunkin Donuts is used under written permission from Fatazz Inc. USA.

Did not want any lawsuits so i called to ask them..... :D

Doesn't Providence use Dunkin Donuts?

I don't remember the Modell's patch. My guess is that the Phantoms wore those, but I can only remember them using Toyota and Wendy's. Hmm...

I love the Warsteiner patch! That's fantastic. I know our buddy from Germany will appreciate that one! Nothing beats the combo of hockey and beer!

In 1993 there were two versions, English for the LA Kings and a French version for Montreal.

I wonder if they'll do that same this year, assuming Ottawa's playing in it. I have a Sens alternate jersey and I don't know if they will use that in the Finals. I think I'll wait to see what happens.

Do you think they would do that? I mean, Ottawa is in Ontario which is mostly an English-speaking province. I can see Quebec doing it since they're main langauge is French but I'd be surprised if they do it for Ottawa.

Isn't Quebec province across the river from Ottawa? The Sens have a French and an English website, so if they could be bilingual there, maybe they would want that on the SC 2007 patch, assuming they'll be in it. Makes sense, no?

Yeah I guess I can see the reasoning. They do have the announcements in English and French don't they? Also, I'm sure they'd make an exception for the nation's capitol.

I love the Warsteiner patch! That's fantastic. I know our buddy from Germany will appreciate that one! Nothing beats the combo of hockey and beer!

Well, I never tasted Warsteiner before. I don't know what it taste like

What. :o ...does this guy have all those Devils jerseys in his closet.? ..very impressive if this is the case.

He must be the biggest Devils fan in the world :o:)

The patches and jerseys belong to his private collection. He´s selling a few of his Devils jerseys on ebay.