The Patch Thread 2.0

pastadutchie

Glad there's some interest in these. Got the first digital mock-up a bit earlier. They did a fantastic job, and I only had to correct a few minor issues. They already look far better than any other option, I can't wait to see one done.

I post a picture as soon as I get something that I'm totally happy with.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad there's some interest in these. Got the first digital mock-up a bit earlier. They did a fantastic job, and I only had to correct a few minor issues. They already look far better than any other option, I can't wait to see one done.

I post a picture as soon as I get something that I'm totally happy with.

B2c_U25CEAEVFDB_zps22ngyctj.jpg

So, um, I may have figured out a way to get really accurate reproductions of the devils 10th anniversary patches. I'm working with someone right now on it. I think I'm going to have probably 14 or 15 available, not sure what they'll cost yet but it won't be a ton.

I'll post updates here through the process. I'm done waiting for original ones, so I'm going with the next best thing.

Could you enlighten us on how you are doing this?

I've been considering the last few days finding someone to create the Pittsburgh bicentennial patch, but don't know what all is involved. I assume a vector file of the design is needed? Beyond that I'm not sure.

One of the main challenges with recreation is that the thread pattern and direction as well as thickness and colors are almost ALWAYS not going to match. The embroidery machine that uses a digital vector to map out the design is not going to follow the same path as the original machine. This is why you see inconsistent fonts and details making originals stand out when looking at them side by side.

I'm not going to give the company's name on the open forum as I don't want them facing any trouble over the reproduction of the logo, but if anyone wants to know I'd be happy to tell them through a PM. I provided them with several pictures and some measurements and they did their magic.

And true, you're never going to get 100% accuracy from a repro. But you can get close. I got this place to get the font about as close as I can imagine it being.

Here's a little preview of the last mock-up. I have a few more kinks to work out, including ditching that border if possible, but I have to be happy with it so far. The colors may not be exact as of yet, but I wont make any changes to that until I see a stitched out sample and see what it looks like then. The shiny thread doesn't show here, but it will be present on the actual patch.

patchpreview.jpg

Wow that mock up looks amazing! Can't wait to see it stitched!! When do you expect to get the sample?

2-5 days after I give them approval, which will be tomorrow or Saturday depending on if they fix everything this round. Should have a physical patch to look at by mid next week.

Does anyone have a good clear and close picture of a Sen's "Smitty" patch? Or know where I can get a real one? I need it for a Demitra jersey I'm doing.

From 2 1995/96 gamers:

image_zpsicvswt5p.jpeg

image_zpsfuu1pjvq.jpeg

How accurate is the repro 1999 Stanley Cup Finals patch? Just wanted to get some input before i may have them put on to a couple of my Dallas Stars jerseys. Looks like i can only find patch repros on eBay.

Overall, I think the National Emblem version is the closest to the original, although there are plenty of noticeable differences. The conference letters are rounded on the NE version but are more squarish on the original. The outlines of the Stanley Cup and the "1999" are thicker on the original, and the orange spikes extend farther out as well. Overall the NE version isn't bad though.

As far as the others go, the Ice Hockey Patches version doesn't look very good to me. The 1999 is the wrong font, and the Conference letters look too skinny and stretched out. Also "TM" and "R" markings are present.

The Patch Collection version looks about as good as the NE one.

Original:

image_zpsczbsimd0.jpeg

National Emblem:

image_zpse9eop99v.jpeg

Ice Hockey Patches:

image_zpsvifonnmy.jpeg

Patch Collection:

image_zpsno9enozu.jpeg

I'm not going to give the company's name on the open forum as I don't want them facing any trouble over the reproduction of the logo, but if anyone wants to know I'd be happy to tell them through a PM. I provided them with several pictures and some measurements and they did their magic.

And true, you're never going to get 100% accuracy from a repro. But you can get close. I got this place to get the font about as close as I can imagine it being.

Here's a little preview of the last mock-up. I have a few more kinks to work out, including ditching that border if possible, but I have to be happy with it so far. The colors may not be exact as of yet, but I wont make any changes to that until I see a stitched out sample and see what it looks like then. The shiny thread doesn't show here, but it will be present on the actual patch.

patchpreview.jpg

Looks good but I think it might need a little more tweaking. I took a pic last night of the 10th patch that is attached to the Brodeur 29 home white rookie gamer that is on display on the upper concourse of the Prudential Center (fun fact: that jersey is from Chico Resch's personal collection). Looks like font needs a little bit more refinement, especially in the "Tenth" portion (and especially that second t).

25528664324_8b8c5cb994_c.jpg

Ha, made the trip to NJ last night and took a nearly identical picture. I actually submitted a list of fixes that cover just about everything you just mentioned. Just waiting to get back the corrected mock-up.

I was wondering where that jersey was from, makes sense that it's chico's. It was awesome seeing that.

Ha, made the trip to NJ last night and took a nearly identical picture. I actually submitted a list of fixes that cover just about everything you just mentioned. Just waiting to get back the corrected mock-up.

I was wondering where that jersey was from, makes sense that it's chico's. It was awesome seeing that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

I wonder why the team went with that curvy profile rather than just making it a rectangle. Seems that would have been easier.

Uhhhh...I'm not exactly sure why THAT'S the first thing that came to your mind but....okay.

Because the patch in question rests square on a man's right butt cheek. Was it that hard to figure out?

Sometimes over explaining makes it less funny. Possible this was not one of those tomes.

Edited by mfitz804

Anybody know if this 2000 all star patch is original? It's noticeably fuzzier around the edges and I think it looks better than the rest of what's on ebay now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172022296918

After looking at a gamer, maybe it's this one instead?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161180019263

Edited by JoeM7392

Anybody know if this 2000 all star patch is original? It's noticeably fuzzier around the edges and I think it looks better than the rest of what's on ebay now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172022296918

After looking at a gamer, maybe it's this one instead?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161180019263

I've bought a few patches off of nhl fanatic and they have all been original when compared to gamers. Not sure where he gets them but a safe bet.

If only you had a friend who had an authentic 2000 ASG delivered to him 10 minutes ago.

Oh wait, you do!

3BA9C934-B772-49E8-893C-D0EE4C5346FD_zps