The Patch Thread 2.0

pastadutchie

2 hours ago, forzzaazzurri said:

The patch on the blue is not the same you won off of ebay, is it?  The patch on the blue is different than the one you sent me the link to.  Both pictured here are original, the one you sent me the link to is a nice repo but still a repo.  

That is the one I received, I’m glad it’s authentic!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The IIHF 90th patches were pressed on and I believe they were made of velvet-like flock material. Odds are excellent that you'd only ever find them on the actual used jerseys.

9 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

The IIHF 90th patches were pressed on and I believe they were made of velvet-like flock material. Odds are excellent that you'd only ever find them on the actual used jerseys.

Kapanen3.jpg

You can see near the top that these are sewn-on patches. 

It's not. That border is a decorative edge, not stitching. A friend of mine has a game-worn USA jersey from that exact tournament in Austria. It's pressed on. In fact, I'm almost positive that someone here had attempted to remove one once MANY years ago now and ended up ruining it because of how hard it was glued down.

If you look just to the inside of the blue border, you can see white stitching. They may be glued down with krazy glue or something and then stitched just to be safe.

EDIT: I got a closeup emailed from another collector... If some were pressed on, it may depend on the team. This one is from a Japan jersey...

oGrn0NT.jpg

Edited by Van67

Hmmm...I wonder if maybe the division made a difference for those IIHF patches. Japan wasn't part of the "Championship" division or whatever it was called for that tournament. Maybe. I do know that the USA one I've seen was pressed down. I even flipped it inside-out to look because I was surprised to see it like that. Very interesting to say the least.

Looking for more IIHF patch sets, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find these ones... Black Warsteiner for the 1997 World Championships and white Danfoss patches that Denmark wore on their red jersey at the 2007 World Championships.

On 12/15/2017 at 6:18 PM, Brilliant! said:

I'm pretty sure I have the Warsteiner patches somewhere. I will take a look.

Wow really??? Can you send me pics if you do have them???

I need a couple that matches this...

https://www.classicauctions.net/mobile/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=139295&seo=eric_lindros__1993_world_championships_team_canada

Are you guys serious?  The man died suddenly on Boxing Day and the Leafs played in Arizona on the 28th.  What did you expect for them to have made up in that amount of time during the holidays?  They were so strapped for time they didn’t even stitch the patch to the jersey.  It’s just pressed on.  

Good eye on Mike.  It is a 1 that makes up the B.