The Patch Thread 2.0

pastadutchie

On 1/13/2018 at 6:07 PM, TheKevinShow said:

When did National Emblem start making the on-ice patches for the league? I ordered a 2004 ASG patch from Patch Collection and I’m not sure if it’s authentic or a replica. 

Well, I got my confirmation that it's a replica. The bottom layer isn't even close to the right shape. I should have noticed that before I bought it. On the bright side, the purchase was paid for mostly with my eBay Bucks so I didn't pay much for it. C'est la vie.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it possible to find patches without the plastic backing? Got an on ice Pens jersey and couldn't get the patches separated from the plastic to save my life. Ruined the Stanley Cup patch in the process. I tried every method listed on here and none came close to working. 

Edited by Skletch

3 minutes ago, Skletch said:

Is it possible to find patches without the plastic backing? Got an on ice Pens jersey and couldn't get the patches separated from the plastic to save my life. Ruined the Stanley Cup patch in the process. I tried every method listed on here and none came close to working. 

Ask eBay sellers, a lot have them without if you ask. 

Any customizer with a heat press should be able to separate them also. 

I'm 99% sure I picked up an original 99 Cup patch.  The first pic is of a gamer and the second pic is the one I bought. Can anyone spot a difference or point anything out that may be off about the the second one. To me the lighting is a little brighter in the gamer pic making the colors pop a little more than the second image but that's all I can see in comparing the two.

Also, Does anyone know what an acceptable price for these older originals is?

25880217488_61b3834026.jpg

38853297435_88b800b635_z.jpg

Thanks for any input

Blue portion looks a different color, but that could be lighting.

Thickness of the black shadow lines on the Cup is different, but I know sometimes the embroidery varies in originals from patch to patch. 

Thats all I’ve got.

Thanks ya I think it's the lighting. And yeah there seems to be some slight variation in the embroidery but it's close.  All of the repros seem to have the a trademark (TM) or registered trademark R on them so at least this is pretty close if not an original.

Repro:

24882467637_65e6701f82.jpg

I thought so.  He had it priced like an original so here's to hoping it is.

2 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

Why did it take Boston 60 years to honor Willie O'Ree?

Because it’s one of the most racist cities on Earth. 

On Tue Jan 16 2018 at 0:21 AM, jroam82 said:

Does anywhere sell the NY shield patch from the front of the WC jersey?

Haven't posted on here in a few years but signed in today to ask this.  Due to a new job funds are kind of low right now so I had to bite the bullet and buy one of fanatics WC blanks out of desperation.  Much to my surprise, no NY shield on the front.  Does anyone know where to get one?  I was going to bring it to Cosbys to get a player on it.  Does anyone know if they have the shields? Thanks!

21 minutes ago, KICKsaveANDabeauty said:

Haven't posted on here in a few years but signed in today to ask this.  Due to a new job funds are kind of low right now so I had to bite the bullet and buy one of fanatics WC blanks out of desperation.  Much to my surprise, no NY shield on the front.  Does anyone know where to get one?  I was going to bring it to Cosbys to get a player on it.  Does anyone know if they have the shields? Thanks!

So, I never found anything other than a replica on eBay.

Checking the various fanatics websites did end up showing some pre-customized ones coming back into stock (limited sizes/players/etc). I ended up biting the bullet and grabbing one of those to save hassle.

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Ask eBay sellers, a lot have them without if you ask. 

Any customizer with a heat press should be able to separate them also. 

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 99 Cup Patch so I don't need another and besides it's only open to American bidding, but I believe there is another original here. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Dallas-Stars-1999-NHL-Champions-Hockey-Pucks-Stanley-Cup-Patch/183009598579?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The pucks are sorta whatever, so someone might be able to get just the patch for a little less.

Guest Dr_Puck

Just purchased a patch from a board member, thanks Pens4Ever I know some of you have had both but I am interested in comparing an authentic to the repro that I have. 

Edited by Dr_Puck

NHL75th

Original (left) with typical repro on right.  Original has fuzzy black borders and lines; repros tend to have sharper details and straighter lines.

3 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

NHL75th

Original (left) with typical repro on right.  Original has fuzzy black borders and lines; repros tend to have sharper details and straighter lines.

This is an excellent comparison shot. I just went through this for a replica jersey I was doing (didn't want to waste an original on it). As patches go, the repros look way better/sharper than the originals. Advances in technology, I suppose. 

Guest Dr_Puck

Thanks LAK74. I'm assuming the older ones will be thicker than the repros. Aside from posting here, I don't think anyone at the local barn will notice that I have an authentic patch. I have a repro on this this Puppa. 

2XReWjFl.jpg

And great job for sharing your insight, mfitz. It's refreshing to see you post relevant information about jerseys again :D.

Edited by Dr_Puck

5 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I'm assuming the older ones will be thicker than the repros.

Actually the originals aren’t really any thicker, but I forgot to mention that the NHL shield on them tends to be more raised (i.e., in higher relief) than on repros.

13 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

And great job for sharing your insight, mfitz. It's refreshing to see you post relevant information about jerseys again :D.

That’s what she said.

Sorry, that was just a reflex. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NHL-CAROLINA-HURRICANES-JERSEY-PATCH-Raleigh-Arena-Inaugural-Season-1999-2000/202216492899?hash=item2f150acf63:g:9vIAAOSws0JadlnX

For the Canes collector an inaugural patch that I'd assume is an original.  The price isn't great but I'd imagine these aren't the easiest to find.