Stripping Help - Suggestions Welcome

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of making a 1992 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup Finals Home (white) replica authentic jersey. I picked up a 1991-92 Ulf Samuelsson size 52 jersey with a crappy 25th anniversary patch, a real 1992 Stanley Cup patch and a real "Badger" Bob Johnson Memorial patch.

I've already stipped the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals patch and will be adding the NHL 75th Anniversary patch, sewing the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals patch to a swatch of material, and then sewing it over the 75th patch to match the real jerseys worn in the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals.

Here's a shot of what the jersey looks like after the 1992 SCF patch was removed...

92patch.jpeg

My question is...what is the best method to use in order to remove the outline of the patch? There's no more adhesive remaining. It was a relatively easy strip. I seam-ripped the stitching and it was lightly adhered to the jersey with just came off with light pulling. Would a wash on hand cycle and then a steam iron do the trick?

The 25th Anniversary patch appears to be heavily glued on. It's also on the double-shoulder yoke area to gaining access to the immediate underside of the patch is not possible. What would you suggest in getting this patch off? Goof-off? Acetone? Should I take the patch off first and then apply the Goof-off or Acetone?

Here are pictures of what I'm looking at...

25patch1.jpeg

25patch2.jpeg

I will be sewing a better 25th anniversary patch over where the current patch resides so it's not imperative that it comes off completely, but I'd like it to be as clean as possible before I put on the new patch.

Please let me know your suggestions and I look forward to hearing your ideas and answers.

I'm also making a 1992 Road (black) Lemieux SCF with all correct patches, size 54 and a 2009 Road (white) Crosby SCF. I'll post updates in this thread as I go through the process.

Happy collecting!

Casey Samuelson

PenguinsChronicles.com - The History of the Pittsburgh Penguins

I only read the title, so I'll say this: Don't do it in Europe, coins hurt and their denominations go higher. Tough economy = making it hail.

Best options are.

For the outline, steam cleaner if you own one, if not cotton sheet/tshirt on the jersey and an iron on a steam setting to run over the cotton. Do this on both sides and the outline will be gone. Many of us have used this method with great success. Particularly works well on ultrafil from times I have done it.

For the patch removal. Try to flip the shoulder inside out and use the same method as above. If its a heavy glue this will change the state into a pliable glue which will allow you to peel away. Once this is done, acetone on the remaining glue will dissolve it. Chris (slimcutta) posted some great guides on doing this.

Should be good to go from there.

Well, I made some progress tonight. I tried the steam/iron method and the glue didn't budge. I found a way to carefully get underneath the twill that was glued to the jersey on the 25th anniversary patch using my fingernail. Here's where it stands at this point...

25patch3.jpg

I'll get back at it again tomorrow. Just stripping the one patch tonight has my fingertips numb.

Wow. That sucker must have been heat pressed in the 90s with a blow torch. Acetone should still dissolve the bond if you soak from underneath the patch on the inside of the shoulder yoke. Tricky because of the 2 layers of fabric but do-able.

Well, I'm making some good progress. I took a break from the 25th anniversary patch and went after the back numbers on the Penguins Edge 2.0 jersey that I'll be making into a Crosby 2009 Stanley Cup Finals jersey. Here's what it looks like currently after stripping the number and using a couple of applications of acetone to the back numbers. Made significant progress already. I applied acetone before I took the #3 off and it left significantly more glue residue. I picked away at the #7 and peeled it off and it left considerably less residue.

Here's where I'm at with the Crosby project:

stripping1.jpeg

I plan on continuing to hit it with acetone slowly working on the reside and the color bleeding caused from the numbers. Any suggestions other than acetone to get this jersey back to bright white again? I'm confident the acetone will slowly, but surely do the trick. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also stripped the back #5 and both sleeve #5's from the Samuelsson 1991-92 jersey. The back came off relatively easily when I applied acetone from the inside. I haven't attempted to clean up the reside yet, but I should be able to get this completely off with additional applications of acetone and some elbow grease.

Here is what the back of what will be a size 52 1991-92 Lemieux SCF 4-patch jersey:

stripping2.jpeg

The sleeve numbers came off with no issues at all other than a light outline. I'll probably hit it with acetone to remove any remaining glue residue if any still remains and then steam to get the outline out.

Here is what the sleeve numbers look like:

stripping3.jpeg

Any other suggestions from the experts out there? What else should I be considering as I go through the process of restoring these back to pristine condition in advance of getting them properly lettered and ready for display?

Thanks and happy collecting!

Casey

• 2 months later...

Who does glue removal here? I'm looking for someone to remove glue from a couple of stripped jerseys. Or should I send it off to EPS?

Be warned that EPS will not just do that kind of work without an expectation of re-customizing. I had a Messier jersey that I wanted the numbers removed which they did (and did well) but was pressured to having it re-done by them. I suspected and was right that they would not be able to match the colors of the name that I left on so I asked them to leave it number-less and send it back. Well Josh got a bit irritated and indicated that he's "not running a dry-cleaning service"; I totally got his point and very nicely asked if he'd be kind enough to send it back as is. He did and cleaned off the remaining outlines as well.

Moral: these places make their dough on the customizing so they may not just do some clean-up work.