Thoughts on removing patches?

I recently picked up 7 jerseys at an estate sale with 4 being authentic. I picked up a Penguins, Nordiques, Sharks, and a 1992 All Star Game jersey..all with fight straps. The problem is that the original owner customized these jerseys with his name (Sutter) and number (23). I used a seam remover and took off the 23 from the Sharks jersey but the color tones are easily visible and you can see where the patch once was. How would you all go about this? Would you remove the patches or just leave them as is?

Thanks,

Ben

Were they from an estate in Viking, Alberta???? :lol:

In regards to the colour tone differences. Is it common yellowing (environmental) staining or is there any glue residue?

Hand or light machine washing of the jersey can significantly help or completely remedy some common yellowing, however some yellowing (tobacco especially) is practically permanent.

If there is glue residue, try acetone and/or Goof-Off, and thoroughly wash the jersey.

Each may require several treatments before seeing results.

Best thing to do is post some pictures of those jerseys here in your topic so everyone can have a look. The community as a whole will be able to help the best.

The color tone of where the patches were are much lighter. There's stains throughout the jersey tho no yellowing. I took pictures of all the jerseys. How do I upload them?

Thanks,

Ben

Upload them to something like Picasa web or Imageshack, whatever hosting company you like or trust.

Then use the image button on the toolbar of the reply field to insert the address of the image.

Usually a color problem from stripping results from color bleeding from the numbers onto the jersey, especially when you're dealing with a white jersey. What you have here is the opposite. Under the number appears clean and the area surrounding the numbers is stained. If the jersey is just dirty, you could just wash it really thoroughly and hope that it comes out clean enough so the number outlines are no longer visible. Unfortunately, if it doesn't work you may just be out of luck, at least on the Sharks jersey. It remains to be seen whether the others will turn out better- the darker the jersey, the better your chances, at least with respect to the color issue.

It's kinda funny, but the previous owner seems to have used the same number font on all of the jerseys, even though they are of different teams! A shame, really, because those are some really nice jerseys and they would make great customization projects provided you can cleanly strip them. Hopefully, just based on the colors, you would have a better chance for success on the others than for the Sharks one.

Thank you for your input. Do you think I should strip off all the patches or leave them as they are? I'll go ahead and wash the sharks jersey..do you know what settings to use for the wash machine?

Thanks,

Ben

As LAK74 says, you will have to try and wash them. You have some nice jerseys, I'd love to get my hands on the Nordiques, Sharks and the 92 All Star.

If you can't get them clean, you'll have some really nice jerseys that you can customize for shinny. That's the best way I would look at it.

Thank you for your input. Do you think I should strip off all the patches or leave them as they are? I'll go ahead and wash the sharks jersey..do you know what settings to use for the wash machine?

I usually use delicate/cold. You may need to give it more than one go. Just a tip, don't use the dryer; let the jersey air-dry.

Whether you remove the rest of the lettering will depend on if the jersey washes clean. If it does, I would strip off the rest of the kit and reletter the jersey with a player of my choice. If it doesn't, then I don't know what I'd do. I wouldn't wear it the way it's customized now, and I wouldn't waste money on a new kit if the stains are still showing around it. Let's hope it washes clean.

Sorry not trying to hijack a thread or anything, but this kind of related. I've never had any attempt to strip a jersey, but I was thinking about maybe trying with this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/360391354159?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648 so I could make it a Liles 2004 World Cup of Hockey. Do you think it would even be possible or even worth it? What would you guys say the risk is?

Thanks,

Ben (#2)

White is very difficult to strip clean, and colour bleed from the numbers could almost ruin the outcome. It's a gamble.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I appreciate it.

So what causes the numbers to bleed? Does that just happen over time, during washing?

Because that jersey is brand new with tags, but not sure if I should take the gamble or not though, but I would really like to get that jersey.

I believe it is a reaction with the glue, but the age of the jersey/customization also affects the outcome. The more glue residue there seems to be, the worse the bleed and the stain. Also the longer the glue residue and bleed have set in, the harder it is to remove. In my experience if the number comes off easily, there is not much glue residue and less bleed.

Could you stop spamming your jerseys for sale in every other thread. Read the rules

Three times, actually.

In Topic: Thoughts on removing patches?

Yesterday, 10:15 PM

They cleaned up real well in the wash.

Removed - Slim

In Topic: Help with Vintage St. Louis Blues customization

Yesterday, 10:09 PM

Looking forward to it! By the way..don't mean to hijack but...

In Topic: For Sale/Trade Thread

Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Removed

Please read the rules

Edited by slimcutta