"C" & "A"' for the Rangers in 97-98?

Krendelev

I've had no luck finding an answer anywhere else online so I figured I would ask here. Who wore the "C" and the "A"'s for the Rangers in 97-98? I know one of our Ranger experts here will know.

Also, did the Rangers use nameplates that season?

Nameplates were never used on Ranger jerseys until the EDGE switch (not counting preseason games and a few other exceptions where nameplates were used). As far as the "A" during that season Graves and I think Beukeboom wore the "A". Not 100% on that but I remember Beuk wearing the A for some games just dont remember exactly when.

Thanks guys. I knew I would get the answer here.

On a similar track, but different years, does anybody know if Leetch wore the C while wearing the CCM jerseys the Rangers won the Cup in, even if not that particular year (just the style). Maybe when Messier was out? Any chance of photographic or video evidence?

Yeah I remember seeing the Gartner gamer get sold on GWA just recently, and thought I saw a Graves or Leetch at an Expo a few years ago, but couldn't remember who it was. Would like to know about Leetch since I picked up a jersey with the C on it, and if he wore it I'd keep it, but otherwise I'll change it.

I found this picture ... looks like CCM mesh to me, but could be the first year Starter before the lace-up color and stripe change.

61aaWtZ.jpg

Edit: Fixed the pictured

Edited by akteon

I have a Leetch white CCM with a C on it and the NHL 75th patch from 91-92. Not positive it's accurate, but I never tried to photo validate it. I've had it for years.

Getty reckon that this picture is from 17th January 1990 but they aren't always accurate with their dates. The jersey actually looks like Starter mesh to me and unfortunately the collar is obscured, so we can't see if it's the older v-neck, or tie-down, which is how Starter made the jerseys when Leetch was officially captain.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/brian-leetch-of-the-new-york-rangers-watches-the-play-from-news-photo/89277317

That looks like Starter mesh to me. And the striping also screams Starter. The date must be inaccurate. Almost every picture I see with the C has laces.

Now I'm starting to doubt the validity of my 75th anniversary jersey...I just assumed Leetch wore the C for a game or two...

Yeah I reckon so too. Looking a little closer at the some of the other photos on Getty, it appears he started wearing that Nike helmet in the above photo for the 1996/1997 season and likely kept it for 1997/1998 until going back to CCM for 1998/1999, by which time they'd moved to lace-up jerseys.

Given that Akteon's photo further up the thread has the v-neck and he is wearing his old style CCM helmet means he most likely did wear the C on a CCM jersey (at least the blue one!)

Here he is in 1996/1997, the only year the Rangers wore a v-necked blue Starter jersey, in the Nike helmet.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/defensemen-brian-leetch-of-the-new-york-ranges-skatges-news-photo/292614

Im almost certain that Akteon's pic is a CCM. Not sure if he wore the 'C' on the white CCM though.

PhotoDec2232303PM.jpg

PhotoDec2232141PM.jpg

Whew. My memory was the #fail...not the jersey. Accurate with the "A".

Unfortunately the two's on the sleeve are wrong. Should be straight across at the bottom, only the back number two should have the serif.

21721.jpg