Jersey cards......

HockeyMusic

Well looks like they are running out of real gamers to cut up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-PATRICK-ROY-4-COLOR-GAME-USED-JERSEY-PATCH-AVALANCHE-LOGO-EMBLEM-ULTIMATE-/321281120384?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item4acdd8d880

It looks like the crest shown in the card is the same embroidery done on crests for replica jerseys......someone correct me if I am wrong here.....

Wow. I thought the only purpose of jersey cards was to add thousands of irrelevant extra results to my searches for jerseys on eBay.

Wow. I thought the only purpose of jersey cards was to add thousands of irrelevant extra results to my searches for jerseys on eBay.

This....so much this.

like-button.png

Add -card or - whatever you don't want to search for. Noobs!

Add -card or - whatever you don't want to search for. Noobs!

if only it were that easy ... I regularly include -card -cards -ud -"upper deck" -topps -btg to my searches and STILL get a ton of cards in the results ...

I haven't collected hockey cards since I was 10. But if I had a bunch of gamers that I was displaying (which I don't, and never will....lolz?) I would consider buying a relevant jersey card to go with it. You can get 90 percent of players for under 10 dollars shipped, if not less.

It'd both look good, and it would remind your gamers how lucky they were to be bought by you, and what the alternative could be.....just in case they ever think about running away.

On a side note, I think Upper Deck tried to reinvent trading cards with mini jerseys a while back. Mini jerseys would be awesome for display if they were a premium product actually made to the proper Reebok or CCM specification and were slabbed. The Upper Deck ones looked like bad McDonalds toys.

If the jersey card will not just fade away which would be my wish, I hope they do cut up event worn, photo-shoot worn or replica jerseys for cards. Leave the gamers intact for us (jersey collectors). Always amazes me how someone would pay $300 or $400 for a portion of a fight strap off of a jersey, or the NHL shield from the neck of a jersey when the entire jersey could probably be had for $500 - I just don't see the draw?

I've been approached a few times in the last six months by card companies looking for gameworn jerseys, since the card companies seem to be doing a bunch of enforcer or tough guy sets recently - will NEVER sell a jersey knowing it will be cut-up..........

If the jersey card will not just fade away which would be my wish, I hope they do cut up event worn, photo-shoot worn or replica jerseys for cards. Leave the gamers intact for us (jersey collectors). Always amazes me how someone would pay $300 or $400 for a portion of a fight strap off of a jersey, or the NHL shield from the neck of a jersey when the entire jersey could probably be had for $500 - I just don't see the draw?

I've been approached a few times in the last six months by card companies looking for gameworn jerseys, since the card companies seem to be doing a bunch of enforcer or tough guy sets recently - will NEVER sell a jersey knowing it will be cut-up..........

The reason why somebody would pay 500 bucks for an NHL shield is the same reason somebody would pay x amount for a rare game worn jersey when they could have an identical Edge 1.0/2.0 accurately customized for 300-500. Collectability.

Whether it's jerseys, barbie dolls, stamps, hockey cards, the mania of collecting has very little logic. I can at least attempt to justify owning jerseys because I wear them most days throughout the colder months (which seems like 90 percent of the year). But some times after spending a little more than I should on an eBay auction, I get up from my computer desk, look at myself in the mirror, and am unsure of who I am anymore.......

....Jerseys are fun.

Same thing ... a gamer cut up into pieces then inserted into another object. Some of the jerseys in those wallets were gamers from Meigray.

The reason why somebody would pay 500 bucks for an NHL shield is the same reason somebody would pay x amount for a rare game worn jersey when they could have an identical Edge 1.0/2.0 accurately customized for 300-500. Collectability.

The older CCM or Nike jerseys (back when hockey jerseys actually had real wear to them) cannot be replicated - a customized authentic will look similar, but won't have the stick marks, burns, holes, customizations, tears, damage, etc. that a real gamer will have. That's the draw that is lacking with a customized authentic or a tiny piece of jersey glued to a card.

:thumbsup:

Don't those cards raise the value of your gamer jerseys, at least in theory? The more cards made, the more gamers they cut up. The more gamers cut up, the smaller the supply. And you know what happens to the price when the supply gets smaller.

Or, by the same logic, does it just make them cost more and makes them less accessible to the masses?

Don't those cards raise the value of your gamer jerseys, at least in theory? The more cards made, the more gamers they cut up. The more gamers cut up, the smaller the supply. And you know what happens to the price when the supply gets smaller.

Or, by the same logic, does it just make them cost more and makes them less accessible to the masses?

The latter - but the older the jersey, the fewer that ever existed since teams wore far fewer sets the further back in time you go, plus teams recycled jerseys, etc. - I don't care as much about the cutting up of the newer ones as there are so many sets most teams employ and each player wears these days that the collector market and card market should both have a plentiful supply. But when a card company has a very rare jersey from the 40's or goalie leg pads cut up into a set of cards, they lose me. They own it, so they can certainly do with it as they want, but I'd venture that had the previous owner known the 1940's jersey they had for years was going to be cut up into 1x1 swatches, they'd probably rethink that sale...........

But when a card company has a very rare jersey from the 40's or goalie leg pads cut up into a set of cards, they lose me. They own it, so they can certainly do with it as they want, but I'd venture that had the previous owner known the 1940's jersey they had for years was going to be cut up into 1x1 swatches, they'd probably rethink that sale...........

I don't follow cards, I didn't know they were doing it to older, vintage stuff. I definitely don't like that.

WHY would they do that? It was enough they were cutting up the jerseys...but the patches too?! :(

Ditto.

http://bit.ly/1bv6SYl

That's replica material right?

Looks like the wordmark on the sleeves of replicas/Premiers.

Yes it does, and that is what I was leading towards with these cards

We all know this is a dumb use of a game used jersey, however now they seem to be putting swatches from retail replica jerseys.

I wonder what the backs of these cards say now. If they mention that piece being used in a game, now the card companies are scamming its collector base.

Jersey cards featuring rookie players generally are not from game worn jerseys, instead Upper Deck and Panini will do a photoshoot with the player and cut those up.

Sometimes they will even use old 6100 jerseys, I have seen Da Costa, Greening and Regin jersey cards with patches from the old 2d logo shoulder patch on the red jersey.

Jersey cards featuring rookie players generally are not from game worn jerseys, instead Upper Deck and Panini will do a photoshoot with the player and cut those up.

Sometimes they will even use old 6100 jerseys, I have seen Da Costa, Greening and Regin jersey cards with patches from the old 2d logo shoulder patch on the red jersey.

That is true. I've got a Carey Price rookie materials card with a photoshoot jersey in it.