Shoulder patch material on Reebok Premier jerseys

joe092690

Hey guys, just a question regarding the Reebok premiers.

I'm interested in buying a Premier jersey from a local store that specializes in sports memorobilia and is a big name store for Sabres jerseys and memorobilia here in Buffalo (they use the same company the Sabres use). They sell a few items from other NHL teams and I'm interested in an Ovechkin home that they have. The store is having a 30% off apparel sale and it's for a nice price. My question: the shoulder patches (the eagle with spread wings on the Caps jerseys) are stitched on but not embroidered and thick. They're more smooth and thin. I've noticed the same thing with other teams' jerseys who have patches like that on their shoulder like the old Sabres slug, (the gold or blue "B" with the sabre through it) or the current Senators one (the Ottawa "O") is the same, a smoother, thinner material. I tried to find a picture on eBay but could find a good one.

My question is, are Premier shoulder patches supposed to be this way? Or are they supposed to have the patch fully embroidered on the shoulder like the Edge ones? The Ovechkin I'm looking at looks great other than what I'm questioning here (no screen-print on any of the number, lettering, or "C" patch, all stitching).

Thanks guys!

The shoulder patches on replicas are supposed to be like that. The only time you'll see embroidered twill shoulder patches is on EDGE jerseys, the premiers have that crappy plastic screen print stuff.

Yet another reason why a lot of us here really dislike the Premiers...

And now the quality of these shoulder patches have become the primary look and feel of the main logos on all the Stadium Series jerseys...Crap.

And now the quality of these shoulder patches have become the primary look and feel of the main logos on all the Stadium Series jerseys...Crap.

Incorrect. Premier shoulder patches are screen printed, not sublimated. The quality of a sublimated patch, such as on the Stadium Series jerseys, is far better from a printing aspect. Not saying I agree with the use of a "shiny" fabric for the SS jerseys, just talking about the printing itself.

As far as liking it or not, that's a different story.

The old CCM premiers were actually good. Shoulders and center crests were quality pieces, nowadays premiers are absolute jokes. Better off with the jersey-t shirts.

Incorrect. Premier shoulder patches are screen printed, not sublimated. The quality of a sublimated patch, such as on the Stadium Series jerseys, is far better from a printing aspect. Not saying I agree with the use of a "shiny" fabric for the SS jerseys, just talking about the printing itself.

As far as liking it or not, that's a different story.

Well, if everyone would rather see Reebok start sublimating everything, I guess I'm just an idiot.

Well, if everyone would rather see Reebok start sublimating everything, I guess I'm just an idiot.

Never said that I'd rather see Reebok sublimate everything. Was just pointing out the difference.

You can bet with Reebok's recent jersey changes (San Jose) and claiming that the players are wanting lighter jerseys, sublimation will be used more and more on authentics. IMPO, possibly to the point that the entire jersey, to include all logos, will someday be completely sublimated. The use of embroidered logos, or even a "SubliTWILL" style logo, will go by the wayside.

It will be interesting to see what direction the NHLs new jersey partner will do. So far, the NHL has given Reebok carte blanche to do as they wish, from materials to jersey patterns, to actual design.

We have at least 2 more seasons of Reebok. Contract expires in 2016.

I saw a story a while back the Bauer was going to compete for the NHL deal. At this point I think anything would beat Reebok...

My fear is that if Reebok abandons twill and embroidery, will it be cost prohibitive for the next vendor to bring it back...economy rarely moves backwards.

We have at least 2 more seasons of Reebok. Contract expires in 2016.

I saw a story a while back the Bauer was going to compete for the NHL deal. At this point I think anything would beat Reebok...

My fear is that if Reebok abandons twill and embroidery, will it be cost prohibitive for the next vendor to bring it back...economy rarely moves backwards.

Despite having a jersey division of their own now, Bauer can't compete with former owner Nike and their money should they choose to come back into the NHL jersey game.

If Nike were to land it, a quick look to what they're doing hockey jersey wise (IIHF) would lead one to believe they'd go the sublimation route.

UnderArmour is a company that should be considered and would have sublimation in mind as well. They certainly have the money and resources to get it all done.

IMO, I feel that the winner of the next deal will change the look of the NHL.

Never said that I'd rather see Reebok sublimate everything. Was just pointing out the difference.

You can bet with Reebok's recent jersey changes (San Jose) and claiming that the players are wanting lighter jerseys, sublimation will be used more and more on authentics. IMPO, possibly to the point that the entire jersey, to include all logos, will someday be completely sublimated. The use of embroidered logos, or even a "SubliTWILL" style logo, will go by the wayside.

It will be interesting to see what direction the NHLs new jersey partner will do. So far, the NHL has given Reebok carte blanche to do as they wish, from materials to jersey patterns, to actual design.

I know they aren't the same exact thing. I'm just saying that they are both lesser quality, cost-effective methods that don't favor us as collectors.

I know they aren't the same exact thing. I'm just saying that they are both lesser quality, cost-effective methods that don't favor us as collectors.

These methods and completely sublimated jerseys are the near future in authentics.