Reebok/Adidas contract to supply NHL jerseys may be extended

Griff

Not sure how many of you read Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts blog on CBC, but this was the last thought, and I thought you all might be interested:

"30.Small business item: Reebok has the rights to make NHL jerseys. Its parent company, Adidas, apparently is considering putting its own name there instead of Reebok. As part of that, we may see an extension of the current contract, which runs through 2016-17."

So... I guess buy up all the wordmark 2.0's while you can...

Ohhhh great more years of crap....doesn't look too promising for the future of nhl jerseys.

If this is what happens then the jerseys won't change, just the name (or logo) on the jersey. So we'll go from vector, to wordmark, to Adidas logo or Adidas wordmark.

Yeah, that was my thought. Just the parent company stepping in.

If this is what happens then the jerseys won't change, just the name (or logo) on the jersey. So we'll go from vector, to wordmark, to Adidas logo or Adidas wordmark.

I'm on board with this idea - Adidas and Nike do this all the time with CCM and Bauer knit shirts. Just because they use the lame new shirts in the Olympics (which have different rules and different play-styles), doesn't mean they'll use them in the NHL where they hit harder and play grittier. They'll fall apart in a week, and I think the league and the league's equipment managers know better than to use flimsy shirts. I hope...

I'm on board with this idea - Adidas and Nike do this all the time with CCM and Bauer knit shirts. Just because they use the lame new shirts in the Olympics (which have different rules and different play-styles), doesn't mean they'll use them in the NHL where they hit harder and play grittier. They'll fall apart in a week, and I think the league and the league's equipment managers know better than to use flimsy shirts. I hope...

Nike doesn't own Bauer though. Haven't in years...

In addition to my earlier post: I consider Adidas to be very un-hockey, imho. Reebok was also kind of a shock to me. I prefer those authentic brands as Koho, Bauer, CCM, Titan, Sherwood, Canadien etc.

Nike doesn't own Bauer though. Haven't in years...

I was more getting at the point that both companies have taken Bauer knit shirts and slapped their label on them. Case in point at my alma mater UMass Amherst - the hockey team wears Bauer knit shirts, but the athletics dept has a contract with Adidas. So, the shirts have the Adidas logo on the front.

Was and still am a fan of Nike NFL jerseys, both the 90s pro-line and the new "Elite" line. Every time I see an authentic Nike jersey in any sport...they always seem to blow it out of the water in aesthetic and comfort departments. If they can revolutionize hockey jersey design like they did with football, then i'd be all for it.

• 3 weeks later...

"Is it a foul to put Callahan on a Rangers Edge 3.1 Addidas wordmark, even though these didn't come out until after he was traded to Florida?"

Future me would like to know.

"Is it a foul to put Callahan on a Rangers Edge 3.1 Addidas wordmark, even though these didn't come out until after he was traded to Florida?"

Future me would like to know.

Well...the Rangers, (like most of the NHL save Edmonton) will actually upgrade to the Edge 4.0 with Adidas stripes after the 2017-2018 pre-season so no Ranger would have ever worn a 3.1 in a regular season game.

Gotcha. So the Adidas Edge 4.0 with the orange neon plaid neck stripe are only available as gamers or from the JerseyEmperor for 500 credits, right?

Gotcha. So the Adidas Edge 4.0 with the orange neon plaid neck stripe are only available as gamers or from the JerseyEmperor for 500 credits, right?

Sometimes IceJerseys gets them in size 62 only. However the pictures and description clearly show the 3.1's Ultra-bubbly-fil mesh material which is of course not used on the 4.0.