Good news, bad news

JeffB

The good news is I got a rare as heck 1995 Team Canada Reebok branded jersey that was only worn at the 1995 World Championships.

The bad news. Oh. My. Lord. Perhaps the worst roster of players to choose from in Canadian hockey history. Honestly, I'm not sure any of the forwards have 5 games of NHL experience. Horrid. Just horrid. Something named Brian Tutt was team captain.

My best choices seem to be Corey Hirsch or Duane Roloson. Or, for the first time in my collecting life, leaving it blank. It think it's worth more like that!

Why couldn't it have been a 1996? Brodeur, Joseph, Kariya, Sydor, Friesen, Ferraro - guys you actually recognize from only one name! Even a 1994 - Arnott, Blake, Brind'Amour, Randford, Robitaille, Sakic, Shannahan, Verbeek.

1995 will forever been known as "the dark ages" in Canadian hockey history...

Ever have a great jersey with a deplorable choice of players to customize it with?

I believe that 1995 was the last year before Nike took over. They were Tackla mesh jerseys but branded with Reebok. That USA one appears to just be a fan jersey since it's not the usual light mesh that was used at the time.

Speaking to the team itself; didn't they win the gold that year? Does that speak to the quality of competition elsewhere in the world at the time?

Oh God no. Canada came in third overall somehow.

In the Group stage they lost to friggin' France 4-1, tied Italy and got beat by the Russians 5-4 to finish behind all three, but still made the playoffs.

They beat the US in the quarters, lost to Sweden in OT in the semis and beat the Czechs to get the bronze with one hell of a forgettable roster.

D-oh. I was thinking of the junior team rather than the national team. THAT was the 5-straight gold team during that period. The junior team didn't use the Reebok jerseys at the 1995 Championships? I thought they did. The ones with the Reebok logo on the shoulders.

Actually… the junior team did wear the same ones and they have some acceptable names on the roster so I'm definitely going that direction. Not an A+ list of names, but acceptable - Friesen, Smyth, O'Neill, Redden, Tucker, Jovanovski. Maybe I'll go with Jeff O"Neill because he's a good follow on twitter.

I was just so surprised and appalled that Canada could field such a crap roster it got me wondering if anyone else had the "great jersey/crap lineup" conundrum come up.

I picked up a 96 WC Czech Republic jersey and they won the gold with this roster: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=1602&year0=1996&status=stats

However, I decided to do a Roman Turek because I liked him in the NHL, he got the tournament all star and wore number 2 in the tournament, which is awesome! It is currently at GameDaySports so I can't wait to see the result. I assume that a lot of higher caliber players skipped the WC that year to play in the World Cup and a cursory look at the tournament top scorers likely supports that idea: http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=WC&season=1995