Unique positioning of the Captains C

lafountain

I was reading through an article online and it referenced this picture.

x_delvecchio_3.jpg

Notice that the captains "C" is just the outline of the letter and it is on the opposite side as normal. Just thought it was interesting to see.

Flyers used to have the captain "C" and "A" as an outline as well, but they changed it in the 80s.

Incidentally, the 87 Flyers team in ESPN NHL 2k5 uses the outlined C and A, which is incorrect. It is also very annoying because it is impossible to see because it is not outlined at all; it is just a white spot on the jersey that you can only see through close examination in the replay.

Also regarding 2k5, I hate how some jerseys have the C and A in the wrong place. For example, the Flyers jersey, in real life, has it placed below the stripe that separates the chest color from the shoulders, but the game actually has it half on the chest, half on the shoulder going over the stripe. It gets really annoying when I see little intricacies in the games when I normally would not. <_<

Flyers used to have the captain "C" and "A" as an outline as well, but they changed it in the 80s.

I believe the Flyers still use a two color "C" and "A" that is black outlined with white, even on the white jerseys where you can't see the outline.

I've always found that really odd. And it's not like they have them all made up that way for use on both the dark and light jerseys, since they wear a white letter on the black ones.

Click on each picture to navigate to a larger size to see the detail.

1049789354039837845S425x425Q85.jpg1185334462055166684S425x425Q85.jpg1157872767048875285S425x425Q85.jpg

I believe the Flyers still use a two color "C" and "A" that is black outlined with white, even on the white jerseys where you can't see the outline.

I've always found that really odd. And it's not like they have them all made up that way for use on both the dark and light jerseys, since they wear a white letter on the black ones.

Click on each picture to navigate to a larger size to see the detail.

1049789354039837845S425x425Q85.jpg1185334462055166684S425x425Q85.jpg1157872767048875285S425x425Q85.jpg

Hmm, I never noticed that before. What I meant was that the Flyers used to use an orange outline around a white C and A on the white jerseys and just a plain white C and A on the orange jerseys. But thanks for bringing this to my attention. Very interesting.

Hmm, I never noticed that before. What I meant was that the Flyers used to use an orange outline around a white C and A on the white jerseys and just a plain white C and A on the orange jerseys. But thanks for bringing this to my attention. Very interesting.

Oh, I knew what you meant. I just went off on a tangent there. I don't get to share that oddity very often so I have to wedge it in there when I can. :stickhndl:

Oh, I knew what you meant. I just went off on a tangent there. I don't get to share that oddity very often so I have to wedge it in there when I can. :stickhndl:

I've got no problem with that. It's a funny little detail I've never noticed before and I'm glad you brought it up.

And besides, how many other Flyers fans would you be able to tell that to on this board? <_<

btw, I saw your jersey collection when I was browsing sportslogos. Very nice. :thumbsup:

I was reading through an article online and it referenced this picture.

x_delvecchio_3.jpg

Notice that the captains "C" is just the outline of the letter and it is on the opposite side as normal. Just thought it was interesting to see.

The Wings were the last team to have the captain's "C" mounted on the right of the jersey as opposed to the left (they may have been the ONLY team to do this, for all I know!).

If you're diligent enough, you might be able to dig up old pics of Dennis Hextall from the mid-70's with a solid color "C" mounted on the right. The Wings put the "C" in a more conventional spot for the '78-'79 season, I believe.

The Wings were the last team to have the captain's "C" mounted on the right of the jersey as opposed to the left (they may have been the ONLY team to do this, for all I know!).

If you're diligent enough, you might be able to dig up old pics of Dennis Hextall from the mid-70's with a solid color "C" mounted on the right. The Wings put the "C" in a more conventional spot for the '78-'79 season, I believe.

No, the Kings were the last to wear the "C" and "A" on the right. Check out their 95-96 3rd jersey ;)

No, the Kings were the last to wear the "C" and "A" on the right. Check out their 95-96 3rd jersey ;)

You're RIGHT. I'd forgotten about those King Vita-Man jerseys!

That jersey was like Vancouver's old "speed bump" jersey... a joke when introduced, but in demand now. Sort of. :)

That jersey was like Vancouver's old "speed bump" jersey... a joke when introduced, but in demand now. Sort of. :)

Welcome to the board PensFan.

Welcome to the board PensFan.

Thanks. I've been following hockey very closely since I was around 5 or 6 (mid-70s) when my dad used to take me to California Golden Seals games. So I'm a real stickler for jersey details. Get me started on the Detroit Red Wings "fancy font" jersey one of these days--props if you remember which year they used the fancy fonts on the jerseys. :)

I'm hoping to add the Seals' Pacific Teal jersey to my collection someday. I'll wear it proudly, too, no matter how much the football-like shoulder stripes make me look fat. (You should've seen the Seals in the road version of this getup, complete with matching helmets and gloves. A freaking sight to behold!)

I've got a '78 Cleveland Barons replica (home/MacAdam/numbers in the shoulder yoke, no little "Ohios"), but no Seals jersey. Go figure...

Sort of? I saw a Gretzky customized one go up to $300 on ebay and NOT meet the reserve price not too long ago.

2326701610100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

I think I said in a different thread that that jersey is the "Perfect Storm" of collectability. A rare one year only style, ugly as sin (which makes people desire it for it's oddity) and, most important, a jersey style worn by Wayne Gretzky.

Sort of? I saw a Gretzky customized one go up to $300 on ebay and NOT meet the reserve price not too long ago.

2326701610100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

I think I said in a different thread that that jersey is the "Perfect Storm" of collectability. A rare one year only style, ugly as sin (which makes people desire it for it's oddity) and, most important, a jersey style worn by Wayne Gretzky.

You know, it makes me wonder whether a player's game is affected whenever he sees an ugly jersey as he's about to pull it over his head.

You know, it makes me wonder whether a player's game is affected whenever he sees an ugly jersey as he's about to pull it over his head.

Actually, now that I'm reminded of how that jersey looked, the "King" graphic sort of looks like Bill "Cowboy" Flett (a former King, Flyer, Atlanta Flame, etc.).

Maybe they were paying some sort of underhanded tribute to him... ;)

Thanks. I've been following hockey very closely since I was around 5 or 6 (mid-70s) when my dad used to take me to California Golden Seals games. So I'm a real stickler for jersey details. Get me started on the Detroit Red Wings "fancy font" jersey one of these days--props if you remember which year they used the fancy fonts on the jerseys. :)

I'm hoping to add the Seals' Pacific Teal jersey to my collection someday. I'll wear it proudly, too, no matter how much the football-like shoulder stripes make me look fat. (You should've seen the Seals in the road version of this getup, complete with matching helmets and gloves. A freaking sight to behold!)

I've got a '78 Cleveland Barons replica (home/MacAdam/numbers in the shoulder yoke, no little "Ohios"), but no Seals jersey. Go figure...

The Red Wings fancy fonts were used in the 1982-83 season only. I remember watching them on TV a couple of times (when New York teams visited, that was the only way back then). My greatest memory was watching John Ogrodnick with that funny-shaped 25 on his back. Two former Coyotes coaches, Jim Schoenfeld and Bob Francis, played on that team, if that ever gets asked in a trivia question, there ya go B) .

I have a Seals '76 home Gilles Meloche, which is white with the pacific teal shoulder, I am always hunting for an affordable road version. I hoped the NHL would create one for the Vintage line. There's a site, http://www.sealshockey.com , that is a superb resource for anything Seals-related and has probably the best photos from that team's games you'll find.

I have a red '77 Gilles Meloche Barons jersey with the sleeve numbers inside the Ohio patches. This may be my favorite jersey ever.