When a player is traded......

Cygnus X-1

What's the concensus among you guys regarding a player who's jersey you have being traded? Do you still keep and wear it or do you look to sell/re-do it? I'm sure it depends on the player but I'm curious to see what others think. I'm preparing for the ever-growing likelihood of Ryan Callahan's departure. And I just FINALLY got a 2.0 of his. Been looking for one for like 2 years. I really like the guy but I also like representing current players (aside from 2, 9, 11, and 35).

For the most part, a trade doesn't make me want to ditch a jersey if I really like the player. I got gamers from Dubinsky and Anisimov 6 months before their trade to Columbus, and it didn't make we want to get rid of those.

On the flip side, I've got a Del Zotto game issue that I've been trying to get rid of since before he was traded, because I never really liked him.

No one will laugh at you for wearing his jersey even if after he gets traded. I've customized my jerseys with previous players (ie. belak, lindros) because I like them. But on the other hand, I wouldn't customize a Schenn because I'll get cussed at all the way to the ACC, even though I was one of 5 of his supporters.

It depends on the circumstance, I still wear my Alfredsson jerseys but if the player leaves on bad terms (like Heatley) then I would have had the jersey stripped and recustomized.

It's your choice, but no matter who I've ever had put on any of my jerseys, the name on the front was always more important than the name on the back.

Besides, I've gotten a lot more respect at the Garden for my Vanbiesbrouck jersey than my Callahan.

Oh yeah it's all about the name on the front. But if your wearing a Nash shirt while he's banging in 11 goals in 12 games, +1.

I got a Jeff carter flyers gamer and had a 2.0 flyers spectrum patch made up as Richards both after they were traded. It depends on the situation I guess. Kovy being the big last fish were I'd be pissed that I could think of

Ask Mike how many Rangers Malhotra jerseys he has done for me in the past year and a half! If you like the player it doesn't matter. Player movement is almost inevitable in this day. Aside from Lundqvist no one is safe. And that is only because he just signed long term.

I have no problem with it generally. I still wear them.

Kovalchuk was the exception. I listed that jersey on eBay the day he "retired". No respect for someone who signs a contract like that and then walks away without honoring his commitment.

I would think it depends on the circumstances and players tenure. Callahan has been around long enough to be a respected Rangers player. Kovalchuk as a devil, Jagr as a Cap, messier as a Canuck stand out as obvious examples of players that wouldn't be missed by the fanbase. Plus it would be expensive to constantly keep recustomizing but in the end up to you.

I have no problem with it generally. I still wear them.

Kovalchuk was the exception. I listed that jersey on eBay the day he "retired". No respect for someone who signs a contract like that and then walks away without honoring his commitment.

Your broke Arse team encouraged Kovalchuk to "retire" so they don't have to pay him the money he was owed that they don't actually have. He did you a favor going back to Russia and taking less money. :lol:

When a player leaves the Caps, I usually keep the jersey as a keepsake of their time before becoming a professional hockey player.

Kovalchuk as a devil, Jagr as a Cap, messier as a Canuck stand out as obvious examples of players that wouldn't be missed by the fanbase.

Please add Lindros and Gretzky for the Rangers to your list. Thanks.

Depends on who you like/jersey. If a player was known for his time in that jersey (i.e. Palffy in the wave Isles), why not keep it? It doesn't expire. You can't update it to a current roster player and chances are, when dealing with an older jersey, none of the players are on the team still

It depends on the circumstance, I still wear my Alfredsson jerseys but if the player leaves on bad terms (like Heatley) then I would have had the jersey stripped and recustomized.

Time usually heals all wounds. Heatley was a hell of a player during his time with Ottawa and I might get a 6100 in 2007 finals style with 15 on the back one day after he retires r at least there is some more space between the split.

For me it depends. Iginla is a Flames legends so you would be safe wearing his jersey to games. Phaneuf will always be polarizing. He never asked to be traded publicly, but there are lots that loved him and others that disliked him for how he conducted himself off the ice.

I buy jerseys of almost every team, aside from Senators rivals. So if it's a jersey for a team that I just bought for collecting purposes, I don't really care if it is an out dated player.

For a team I cheer for, I don't see the point of selling it. You're going to take a massive loss on the jersey. Unless you really need the space, or really need the money, you're better off keeping it. So long as it's not a Dany Heatley situation, it might not be your go to jersey for wearing to games, but it's still alright to wear around.

It's also part of your history as a fan. It's like, if I get really excited about the idea of Robin Lehner becoming Ottawa's next franchise goalie, buy his jersey, he bombs, gets traded, and is out of the league in five years. There's a tale behind that jersey. I guess it's no different than having a hockey card of a player who no longer plays for your team, except it has some sort of actual use since you can wear it as a sweater....

I'm more likely to own a player's jersey after their tenure with the Rangers has ended, as I know that they either put up big numbers, were a fan favourite and didn't screw the team or act up upon leaving.

I seem to have a thing for 3rd/4th line role players over big stars and have no qualms with having those guys over the more obvious superstars who maybe weren't so popular with the fanbase. I also purely collect players who I could identify with or appreciated over the bigger stars who I might feel should be in my collection. Cally definitely fits into the former category and I still plan on having a blank 6100 done up as his rookie, whether he leaves or not.

Ortmeyer, Nemchinov, Prust, York, as well as bigger names like Graves (my all time hero), Fleury and Shanahan are heart and soul guys who have all left the team. But despite this I still either have these already or plan to add them on my existing blanks eventually because they were guys who played hard, played for the team and were popular when they were on the roster.

Cally will be remembered as an all time fan favourite so I see it as a total no brainer to have a jersey or two of his!

in the case of a MESSIER canucks jerseys, those are always good for stripping and made into another player or, if im feeling generous, i use it to wipe my dog's a$$ after he's done his bidness.

My respect for you has just gone way up.....again.

Cally will be remembered as an all time fan favourite so I see it as a total no brainer to have a jersey or two of his!

Totally agree.

that's like asking, would you get rid of your gretzky oilers or kings jerseys, or get them re done because he got traded. im pretty sure most people keep them.

that's like asking, would you get rid of your gretzky oilers or kings jerseys, or get them re done because he got traded. im pretty sure most people keep them.

Except that Gretzky is the best player of all time... I think its a lot different if you're talking about a player who played for a team for a handful of years and didn't have any MAJOR impact on the game or the team during that time (win a Cup or any individual major award).

Simplifying it down to Gretzky specifically is NOT the same thing.