Kings "Burger King" Jersey Crest Removal/Replacement?

Hi fellow collectors, I have a quick question. I own a LA Kings 'Burger King' jersey that I got many years ago. It is a replica but I was not the original owner. The original guy washed it a few times and the beard on the king which used to be a fairly dark purple has now faded to a pretty light purple. Just wondering is there a way I can replace this front crest, and if so is there a place I can get an official jersey sized front 'Burger King' crest? Any help is appreciated.

I was in the same position as you, and I found a crest on eBay that looked almost identical to the original replica crest, and had it applied on top of the faded original one. (I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the original crest.) The seller's name was "wajax," and although he used to have quite a few of these, he hasn't had any listed for quite some time now. It might be worth it to contact him to see if he might have an extra one he could sell you. I would not recommend the patch currently sold by the seller "uviok," it doesn't look as good as the ones from wajax. As a matter of fact, I still have one from uviok that I never used.

^ LAK74 do you got pics of your new crest and the crest you didn't use? would be good reference for myself. I appreciate your input though.

It is possible to remove the crest from a replica. You have to be 100% sure that the replacement is the same size though because it WILL leave glue residue. I've actually done it several times. Not with this particular jersey but with others.

^ interesting. I need to however find the crest first.

The colors aren't 100% accurate since the photos are digital, but the wajax patch is the correct purple and the uviok patch on the right is more blue-violet. The gold threads on the wajax patch have a texture like that of the original jersey patch; the uviok one isn't even close. The uviok patch is slightly smaller than the wajax one.

DSCN2286_zpsf461c0c2.jpg

I slightly overexposed the individual photos so you can see the relief detail better.

DSCN2289_zps3edbc032.jpg

DSCN2290_zps1d25b410.jpg

^ thanks for the pics, its greatly appreciated. yeah the other unused patch doesn't look right. but man if you stitched that other one right over the original that looks fantastic! cant even tell that work has been done to it. now the tough part begins, finding the correct patch..

Replace it. It's not going to hurt the value at all. We are talking about a replica jersey. The age has nothing to do with it. These beards faded because of the purple dye used and when they get washed the dye is diluted and the color turns to a lavender/grey instead of the deep royal purple. Most crests are fully twill or full embroidery which doesn't get affected by washing or age but these were done differently and notoriously failed at retaining color. Swap it out!

^ Yeah I am trying to replace it chow_hound but I am having a tough time finding the correct crest/patch. as LAK74 posted, the other crest is smaller and wouldn't cover the old crest or the stitching/glue area of the old crest. Plus the purple isn't the correct colour on the beard. I am willing to buy the correct crest/patch if anybody has it for sale, or can point me in the correct direction. I am a huge Gretzky collector and I normally only collect pro's but that burger king one is next to impossible to find (along with wild wing, and the salmon canucks one as well). So I had no choice but to buy a replica about 10 years ago. The replicas from that era are actually pretty good. Mine is air knit and if I am not mistaken, it even has double elbows.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. So I was in the GTA and before making my way back to Calgary I thought I would try a few places in search of a BK crest. Well to my amazement there was a small sports card collector store in Mississauga that I went in to who had a few crests of various teams, and guess what, he had one BK crest! It looked correct to me so I immediately purchased it for $40 off of him. Not sure if its a fair price but I kind of had no choice as I couldnt find any other ones that looked correct, plus the BK jerseys alone sell for a ridiculous amount on eBay. Anywho just thought I would share some photos (for others reference) of it before I send it in for customization. The one on my replica is only glued on, not stitched and glued. The new one will clearly cover the old one. Should I ask for it to be sewn/stitched after it is heat pressed on?

bk1_zps2f19a009.png
bk3_zpsc9149e05.png
bk4_zps12d58794.png
bk2_zps3f9b0bbd.png

Sew it on where it is in the third picture. I like the "Burger-Boobs" version. :P

Edited by thebiggoalie

I'd get it stitched. Otherwise, somewhere along the border the edge will probably lift up off the jersey.

Sew it on where it is in the third picture. I like the "Burger-Boobs" version. :P

You sir, have just won the internets. I want that to be my p0rn name.