Shadow boxes?

hockeyjerseyssuck

I'm considering picking up a shadow box in the near future. I'd like something big enough for Edge jerseys (since they are pretty long), that would allow me to easily swap the jersey out with another. I've seen a few with hinges. I'd probably be looking to spend in the 100-200 dollar range.

Is there a consensus on a good brand or seller for shadow boxes? I'd love to see pictures of your shadow boxed jerseys if you have any in a frame you'd recommend.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a couple examples of the shadowboxes I use. I buy them from AC Moore (I don't know if they have them anywhere near you) but they retail for $129.99 and are always at least 40% off sometimes up to 60% off. All I do is put a pushpin in the cardboard backing and put and upside down hangar in the jersey and hang it on there.

FF0D6107-50D5-4710-817C-CB6F98EBAE1A-211

image_zpsdf264228.jpeg

Nice man, I bought the sames ones as you but havent hung them yet. They are really heavy. They also sell them at Michaels farts and crafts and are usually part of the sale deal or bogo.

How did you hang them?

Nice man, I bought the sames ones as you but havent hung them yet. They are really heavy. They also sell them at Michaels farts and crafts and are usually part of the sale deal or bogo.

How did you hang them?

Literally just a nail in the wall. Realistically it probably isn't the safest way to do it but the Schenn and Giroux have been hanging for pretty much two years now with no problem.

They're 30x40 I believe. I had as big as a size 58+ in there and it still looked really good. Thats hilarious its just a nail I swear they weigh like 30 lbs.

They're 30x40 I believe. I had as big as a size 58+ in there and it still looked really good. Thats hilarious its just a nail I swear they weigh like 30 lbs.

That sounds right. If I was near mine right now i'd measure it. They definitely are heavy I just use a fairly big nail, nothing huge, and it gets the job done.

They also sell them at Michaels farts and crafts and are usually part of the sale deal or bogo.

Man those frames are going to stink up your jerseys.

Just went to my local A.C. Moore and unfortunately they didn't have any in stock (but they did have the 40% thing going on). Price was $129.99.

Tried Michael's too... and they only had one (but had buy one get one free). Their price was $159.99.

I got mine at Michaels as well they had them for buy one get one free @ $99.99, they also had the I guess you could call it a double one it was rather large

only thing I hate is I wish it opened from the front like a cabinet I guess

and well it's large and I have no wall space at the moment :(

I got one from eBay for like $65, but it's too short to hold my signed jersey.

The one I have is a team autographed 2003 Devils Koho replica size XXL,with a Stanley Cup patch. What I did was measure the internal dimensions and cut a piece of foam core board to just fit. Then I cut a semicircle so the board wasn't visible at the neck opening. I then pinned the jersey so it was stretched tight on the board.

I inserted the boarded jersey into the frame and now it looks like a perfect rectangle. I would prefer it to actually look like a jersey and may change the frame one day for that reason. But for now it's fine.

I got one from eBay for like $65, but it's too short to hold my signed jersey.

The one I have is a team autographed 2003 Devils Koho replica size XXL,with a Stanley Cup patch. What I did was measure the internal dimensions and cut a piece of foam core board to just fit. Then I cut a semicircle so the board wasn't visible at the neck opening. I then pinned the jersey so it was stretched tight on the board.

I inserted the boarded jersey into the frame and now it looks like a perfect rectangle. I would prefer it to actually look like a jersey and may change the frame one day for that reason. But for now it's fine.

That might have more to do with stretching the jersey tight and pinning it more than it does with the frame itself.

A better way would be like Greg's Flyers jersey in my opinion... just an upside down hanger. The jersey flows down and you're good.

I would just fold the bottom up behind the back of the jersey then... and pin that.

Stretching the jersey into a rectangle doesn't look good IMO.

It looks ok, but it looks more like a fabric poster than a jersey. I am going to experiment with it when I get back from vacation and see if maybe your method works.

I like these the best:

room3_zps329da988.jpg

I own 4 of them. They are hinged. They are not that heavy, because it's not real glass. They are around $200 delivered, though...

I order them from here: http://www.thatsmyticket.com/hl-340-w-b.html

I am out of space now, though... So, I too did get a shadowbox from Michaels. I have two signed Jagr jerseys. I decided to hang up the second one as well. I used a piece of carboard to wrap the jersey around, and then pinned it to the cardboard.

jag6_zps1b8ca47d.jpg

I won an auction for an autographed Matt Read jersey that was worn by Read at the Flyers Wives Carnival (thru Meigray).

Anyway - I needed to free up a large frame, so I put my signed Mason jersey into a shadowbox. The "3" wasn't sewn straight in the number "35" - It wasn't that noticeable hanging in the larger frame. But in the shadowbox, it was VERY noticeable. It took some creativity to stretch the jersey in certain places to get it to appear straight.

mason11_zps923e0f99.jpg

Mine looks similar, although since mine is a blank autographed on the crest, you can still see the collar and can still see it looks like a jersey.

After returning to my office and looking at it, I decided to leave it as is.

Yea, if you do it that way, I can see you wanting it in the box situated in that position.

I am out of room for the bigger frames in my home office, with 4 up on the wall. Now, if I get anymore signed jerseys, I've gotta use the small shadowboxes. And even then, I have room for MAYBE 2 more, if I push things.

The problem with the smaller boxes is that if anything is sewn off center on the jersey, it takes some work to make it look right in that smaller space. 1

In a few years if I keep at it and new players come and go on my favorite team - I guess I'll just have to rotate some of them in and out of the larger frames. My wife won't let me exceed the one room with my stuff :P

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, now is probably the time to buy shadow boxes at Michaels.

Shadow boxes are basically 70 percent off as they are buy one get one free, and Michaels also has a 20 percent off your entire purchase (including sale items) coupon that is printable from their site. I think it's valid until April 2nd.

I was thinking of framing up a vintage Devils jersey for my office, perhaps now might be the time on that...