Callahan for St. Louis

Cygnus X-1

As per Boomer Esiason (or however you spell it). 1 for 1 and maybe a pick if Cally signs with TB.

If true it sucks to lose him and I'm not super excited to get a 38 year old player but at least it's someone who is roster ready with proven skill. Maybe he's the missing piece and we'll commemorate our 20th anniversary of winning the cup by winning another.

....sigh....

Makes zero sense for TB to make that trade in a 1-for-1 swap. Unless Marty was so bummed out about the Olympic snub he asked for a trade. The Rangers have apparently enquired about him before.

If not St.Louis then who else fits Boomer's profile, Voracek?

Rags fans should be jumping for joy that they could be getting rid of a no talent Rags clown and adding a 1st ballot HHOFer.

All this because Yzerman snubbed St-Louis for Crosby's fluffer. Hope they are happy with those blood medals. :noway:

Interesting indeed. It makes no sense for TB to trade Marty for a pending UFA who wants mega dollars that he's not worth. If St.Louis does want out, I'm thinking Yzerman can find a better deal than Callahan

• 2 weeks later...

Done deal.

Cally+1st(2015)+2nd(2014) for MSL. 2014 second rounder becomes a first if the Rangers reach the conference finals. If Cally resigns in TB the Rangers then get the TB 2nd in 2015 and TB get the Rangers 7th in 2015.

A lot to give up but it makes the Rangers instantly stronger this season. It also hurts like hell to see a guy like Cally go the way he has but business is business and this was absolutely the right call.

I'm conflicted. Was Cally worth all that cash? Proabably not.....but MSL WANTED out of TB- could we have kept a draft pick? I feel like it's the late 90's again....this dude is OLD. How many more years does he have left? Maybe we can get Vanek or Moulson this summer....

Love St. Louis but not a good trade for NYR. To potentially give up 2 1sts in exchange for potential run to ECF and a year and a half of St Louis is not ideal. If we win the cup (unlikely) who cares?

Imagine Rangers and TB meeting in ECF.

The way I see it, The Rangers have opted out of Cally's long, expensive contract and upgraded offensively with a short term, cheaper deal. The picks are the sticking point for me.

MSL may be old but he is still absolute money in the points column and is only under contract till the end of next year. Being saddled with Cally's demands for the next 6 years, likely with a NMC for the first few would have been disastrous.

I don't like giving up the picks but then when have Slats & Co ever drafted well in the high rounds? Almost all of the team's 'stars' are lower round steals. Call me a cynic.

Heart still hates to see Cally gone but my head is pretty happy right now. Reckon Marty will dress tonight?

20140305-135858.jpg?w=664

One of you needs to go over to the NHL Store in New York and slap around the knucklehead that made this. Arch not radial arc! emot-argh.gif

Rangers fudged up givig the first rounder. St. Louis was only going to accept a trade to NYR why give up so much from a postion of strengh. Dudes 38 years old too and won't have the offensive support he had in TB. Better hope NYR doesn't poop the bed next year and that pick turns out to be a top 10 or worse.