Trade Deadline Thread

guam64

Miller and Ott to St. Louis for Halak, Stewart, William Carrier, 1st, and 3rd.

Expecting a GMGM panic-trade to outdo the Erat trade any minute now.

Buffalo got fleeced traded there captain and a franchise player for a under achieving not so power forward and a back up goalie (the pick is so late in the 1st who knows if it will pan and the prospect i have seen play probably not a nhler).

Kudos to the blues this was a robbery

Conditional 3rd that could be a first though. I think the Sabres did well here. Halak is no slouch either.

Halak is a back up the blues knew he could not carry the team deep into the playoffs and that why this move was made i don't think the sabres even wanted him it, he was a throw in to off set some salary. Halak is an impending free agent who likely won't resign the sabres are high on Enroth, the conditional pick is useless unless Miller resigns or they go to the cup which in any case means the pick will be a very late 1st round pick. I think the sabres got little return in this deal, they did a lot better on the Vanek deal getting a 1st and a asset in Moulson who they can parlay into a prospect and a 1st.

Obviously a nice trade for St Louis but Buffalo was never looking to get cornerstone players back, rather they wanted futures. I would not be at surprised to see them move both Moulson and Stewart. They got a nice haul for Vanek, here they get a decent asset in Stewart and plenty of futures (first, third, recent second round pick prospect). I like the deal more for St Louis, but given Buffalo's goals in this meltdown I think they will wind up with a whole bunch of picks in this year and next year's drafts before all is said and done.

Goalies never bring back a huge return at the deadline so Buffalo did pretty well here to get what they did for two UFAs. Hell even when Halak was at his peak value after the 2010 playoff run all Montreal got in return was an unproven 3rd line center and a junk junior grinder.

I think Buffalo realizes that any change is definitely going to do them good since they're so low in the standings right now, so a goalie-for-goalie swap to add a few others guys isn't really a terrible thing.

As far as the goaltending situation goes, Miller has more credentials, but Buffalo realizes that Halak is definitely capable of playing at a number one goaltenders calibre. It's just a matter of making sure he's healthy enough to carry a team.

Miller may be the Sabres franchise, but Halak is a much better goalie. As Guam pointed out - he got the Habs into the conference finals back in 2010. I say it all the time, but I'd much rather have Halak with the Habs than Scary Carey. Price pulls off a few 'spectacular' saves to wow the crowd but lets in everything else.

And yeah, Ott was their captain - but Stewart is a tank who's five years younger than Ott and has more points so far this season with one less game and just over double the PIM.

Miller may be the Sabres franchise, but Halak is a much better goalie. As Guam pointed out - he got the Habs into the conference finals back in 2010. I say it all the time, but I'd much rather have Halak with the Habs than Scary Carey. Price pulls off a few 'spectacular' saves to wow the crowd but lets in everything else.

And yeah, Ott was their captain - but Stewart is a tank who's five years younger than Ott and has more points so far this season with one less game and just over double the PIM.

Oh ya Carey Price who allowed 3 goals at the biggest stage in hockey and named goalie of the tournament isn't good. Halak a guy who has been unable to even beat out Brian Elliot for a starting job is a lot better. Halak is nowhere near the goalie Ryan Miller is, if you think Halak is better you need to watch a little more hockey. Halak is not a number 1 END OF TOPIC

p.s lol @ speactacular saves line that made a lot of sense......

On what planet is Halak a better goalie than Miller?

That's just a ridiculous statement

Halak isn't the centerpiece of the deal. Buffalo will probably flip him to Minnesota or Washington that were in on Miller, and maybe also flip Stewart as well.

Carey Price has only gotten out of the 1st round of the playoffs once. He's the Washington Capitals of goalies. No check that, even the Caps pwn3d him in the playoffs. :lol:

Christ, just sharing my opinion - it is an open forum. Forgot Price & Miller were precious NHL babies that couldn't be criticized.

Carey Price has only gotten out of the 1st round of the playoffs once. He's the Washington Capitals of goalies. No check that, even the Caps pwn3d him in the playoffs. :lol:

Exactly, the only thing that he's good at is bringing money in for jerseys. You put that Canadian squad in front of any other NHL goalie and they'd no doubt still have won gold. When the Stanley Cup rolls around he craps his pants - round 1 versus the Sens last season shows that.

My brother-in-law is a huge Habs fan and he's very high on Price.....he's very good but I just don't see him bringing the cup to MTL.

Lou upset about rumors of Marty leaving New Jersey. Denying all reports of that actually happening. But then again, Lou is pretty slippery.

Well with EDM getting Fasth and MIN getting Bryz, the two mentioned destinations for fatty just picked up other goalies ...

Well with EDM getting Fasth and MIN getting Bryz, the two mentioned destinations for fatty just picked up other goalies ...

Before any other media reported it, I was actually thinking of him finishing in Montreal with the weight of the gold around Price's scrawny neck injuring him. It would be kind of nice to see him play for his hometown in at least one playoff game before retiring, although I love to see any successful franchise goaltender play their entire career for just one team, like Mike Richter and even...ummm. DiPietro :P

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Holmgren actually gives up a 2nd and a 3rd for Andrew MacDonald. :lol:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Holmgren actually gives up a 2nd and a 3rd for Andrew MacDonald. :lol:

Philly sure does love to give up a lot for overrated defensemen. JVR for Schenn lmfao.