Ultrafil vs AirKnit

WrathofAchilles

Forgive me if this is covered in another thread, I've tried searching and get some answers but my main questions still remain.

My main question is what is the size difference, (if any), between an Air-Knit and an Ultrafil of the same "size". I fit perfectly, (tight but loose enough to move around and look good), in an Air-Knit 54. Would an Ultrafil size 54 be slightly tighter? Would it be looser? etc. Or is it the same and I don't have to go up or down in size?

My secondary question what is the difference between the two? Ultrafil LOOKS, (have never held one), like it's smoother and tighter... and I imagined, (I'm sure incorrectly), it'd be like an Edge 1.0 vs 2.0. Could anyone please elaborate on these?

Thanks a lot guys.

In reference to CCM jerseys of the 80's and 90's, I haven't noticed any significant difference in size between the 2 materials, as long as you compare the same era. CCM airknit jerseys of the 2000's seem a little bigger to me than ultrafils of the 90's, though.

If you have an Edge 1.0, look at the smooth material on the shoulders- it has a texture similar to ultrafil, although the ultrafil has a slightly larger pore size, I believe.

Edited by LAK74

In reference to CCM jerseys of the 80's and 90's, I haven't noticed any significant difference in size between the 2 materials, as long as you compare the same era. CCM airknit jerseys of the 2000's seem a little bigger to me than ultrafils of the 90's, though.

If have an Edge 1.0, look at the smooth material on the shoulders- it has a texture similar to ultrafil, although the ultrafil has a slightly larger pore size, I believe.

Thank you King...you helped put my mind at ease. Looking at some ultrafils atm and so I was worried of size differences if I bought one since I'd never had one before. And yeah...the AirKnit I have is from the mid-90s...both of them.

Thanks again!

I love the Ultrafil as well. I picked up 3 Devils and 1 Whalers in the last few months.

Edited by mfitz804

Another lover of ultrafil. Shame new jerseys aren't made of it. I actually didn't mind the x-trafil on the shoulders/elbows of EDGE 1.0 jerseys, but the weight and strength of those old jerseys really made it feel like you were getting your money's worth.

Ultrafil is hands down the best - finding a 54 or bigger in a Hawks is about impossible.

I've been looking for a long time and have only seen 1 in white that was a little chewed up and the other I saw in red, I bought.

Oddly there are a lot of Devils and Sabres in bigger sizes.

Oddly there are a lot of Devils and Sabres in bigger sizes.

Know where I could get the Devils in a 56?

Know where I could get the Devils in a 56?

I might have one, I will check this weekend and send you a PM. If I recall correctly it's red

Ultrafil was fantastic for its premium appearance and feel -- it has a much heavier weight than AirKnit, so for collectors it's great, but for players it definitely weighed more once it got sweaty. Some of the jerseys from the 80s and early 90s looked just incredible with their color schemes done up in the ultrafil material.

Keep in mind that not every team had Ultrafil versions of their jerseys though. Some only wore the AirKnit or mesh material styles, so keep that in mind depending on what team or teams you are looking for.

Agree with the group that if you can find them at a realistic price, grab them when you can.

I might have one, I will check this weekend and send you a PM. If I recall correctly it's red

PM'ed, always interested if price/condition are right...

Having played in an Ultrafil jersey, I can concur, they do get heavy. They start out fairly heavy actually, but that's kind of part of what I like about them.

I also played in a roller hockey league that used the old poly "ultrafil" replicas; those things looked like crap after you wore them once, the material was so prone to snagging, pilling, etc. But they were super light weight and obviously cheaper, which I assume is why the league used them.