The smell of authentics (yes, seriously)

StayFrosty

This is another very unimportant detail about jerseys, but I have a unique sense of smell and all authentic jerseys have a very distinct smell to them.

It doesn't matter if they are -

- retail

- team issued

- game worn (and probably washed a bunch of times previously)

- etc

There's nothing like the smell of brand new items, and I now look forward to the smell of a "brand new jersey" just as bunch as I look forward to the smell of brand new electronics or the fresh plastic in action figures. heh

I can only speak for Reebok since I don't own any authentics from other brands. Is all I know is it's a strange smell, and replicas nor fakes have anything close to it. I describe it as a "Grassy, sporty" smell, my mom describes it as a musty smell, and my friend describes it as a fresh smell. So quite a difference of opinion there. My only theories about the smell is that the jerseys have been sprayed with some sort of preservative or it's actually the smell of the fabric. The smell also doesn't wash out until after a few washes, and I dare say I have seen the smell return over time.

What's that smell?

Nah man my friend seemed to notice the smell without me telling him, and we're both quite different people. But he does have a strong sense of smell too.

What's that smell?

...victory... because only then does it hit home that in your hands in an awesome new authentic sweater in your collection!

As a guy who always buys replica and vintage replicas... :(

As for the old sweaters I buy, they sometimes have that old smell to them... Blech... -_-

Oh well, nothing smells better to me than my jerseys when they come out of the washing machine enveloped in the ever-refreshing aroma of Tide... ^_^

He's not crazy, I notice it too, but they are just faint smells of the building they were formerly housed in...Ralph Engelstad Arena. No joke, I can take a brand new jersey from there and it instantly puts a clear mental picture of gameday in my head.

is it the water repellent that isn't present in/on replicas?

and just 1 more question....have you seen the show "My strange addiction?"

1 woman loved the smell of baby powder so much she began "snorting it". And another women loved the smell of Pine Sol(i think) and she would soak bandanas and scarves with it so she could carry it to work. Then she would tie the pine sol soaked scarf around her face and inhale the pin sol.

I have noticed it too. Whatever it is it's probably related to the fact there's not one natural fiber found in the whole garment.

But I love it!

I don't own any edge jerseys but all my pre rbk edge jerseys have a smell to them, especially the ccm/koho pro jerseys (ultrafil, or airknit). The starter jerseys also had that smell but to me it was never as strong.

The smell is from the use of petroleum during the manufacturing process of the polyester fabric.

On the game used side, the "BO" smell you get (outside of Meigray not washing them) is from the automatic fabric softener cycle that is run in the commercial washing machines. Fabric softener closes the pores in polyester fabric that allow the fabric to breath.

Edited by JunkyardAthletic

He's not crazy, I notice it too, but they are just faint smells of the building they were formerly housed in...Ralph Engelstad Arena. No joke, I can take a brand new jersey from there and it instantly puts a clear mental picture of gameday in my head.

That's not true, I bought a ND jersey from the Ralph before and it didn't smell like Hitler and meth. :P

Totally with you on that. As WrathofAchilles said, it smells like victory.

Even more so if you've only been able to afford replicas then you get a sweet deal on an authentic, regardless of if it's used or not.

apocalypsenow-kilgore.jpg

Edited by ScotiaCygnus