CCM jersey- Can the front patch be 're-glued' onto the body?

I recently picked up a sabres jersey for $25, the 96-06 'buffalo' head style. It came in having a few of the corners beginning to come off. It does have some pretty pointed edges in spots.

Is there any way of fixing this? If put back into a press or ironed with a towel, can I get the glue to re-stick? I don't know if the glue dries up or if it has a one time use kind of thing going for it.

I offered to keep it for a $15 refund. A $10 jersey... why not?

Just have the crest sewn down by a local tailor. Problem solved.

I guess I could go that route. But, to me atleast, that hurts the integrity of the CCM replica jerseys... being glued and what not. If I were to try to re-sell it, to anyone who knows CCMs, theyd know it was altered. I don't know if this brings the value of it down either. ... $10, I think that value can only go up :-)

Not a bad idea though, not bad at all.

Oops, didn't know I couldn't say that.

Still with my original question.... can it be glued back together with the existing glue?

I guess I could go that route. But, to me atleast, that hurts the integrity of the CCM replica jerseys... being glued and what not. If I were to try to re-sell it, to anyone who knows CCMs, theyd know it was altered. I don't know if this brings the value of it down either. ######... $10, I think that value can only go up :-)

Not a bad idea though, not bad at all.

"Integrity"?

Anyone who is going to purchase a cheap replica jersey probably wouldn't care enough to notice you "altered" a jersey. Heck, You could probably rip the logo off and break even if you sold it.

To me every jersey has integrity, no matter how expensive or cheap it is. Any team wore theirs proudly and still do. Any jersey that I own I want to be as close to factory as possible.

Its like buying a jersey that still has it's tags... I'd never remove them. It makes me cringe thinking about it haha. Its the integrity of the work and basic pride of hockey history. Just my opinion.

As far as the glue stick... may not be a bad idea too. I just don't want anything to seep through the knit on the inside.

I eventually plan on getting a Hasek name and number kit. Im not even a big Buffalo fan, but I am huge Hasek fan.

Anything beneath mint for a jersey and I typically wouldn't bother. Its 100% clean... just that darn patch.

A bit contradictory?... Yes... but if I can get the patch to stick back into place the way it originally was, its integrity is perfect. To me.

Its a 00'-01' jersey btw, so it has the CCM on the neck. This was the last year Hasek played for Buffalo and I haven't seen even one Hasek replica set up like that. I have seen game worn for sale, but that is all. Itd be a great jersey to have in my collection :thumbsup:

Sorry for the rant.

But yea... any ideas? Anybody had to have done something like this in the past?

Go to a frabic store and look for Heat and bond or another name. just cut a smal amount. then cover with a cloth (to protect) from the hot iron then just follow directions. email me if you want me to send a picture. I used to put a OHL patch on my sport coat in the 90's and its still holding. rboelter48124@gmail.com

I still think sewing the crest down is the best option. To me it would improve the integrity of the jersey. Replica crests and patches are glued down because they are just replicas, authentic and game worn/issue jerseys have the patches and crests sewn on. So you'd be taking a cheap replica and taking a small step to make be closer to what it supposed to replicate.

Turn it inside out and blast it with a scorching hot iron and a lot of steam. That should seal the crest back to the jersey with whatever adhesive still remains.

Anyone else see the irony in espousing the "integrity" of a replica jersey that is falling apart?

Edited by mfitz804

Anyone else see the irony in espousing the "integrity" of a replica jersey that is falling apart?

To each their own I guess. Sewn down stuff always looks sharper than heat pressed stuff.

If it were 'falling apart' then I really wouldn't care. Its just two small spots on the logo where the glue was either poorly stuck to begin with or someone pushed it trying to see how well it was put down.

To all there own.. Yes sir :thumbsup:. I cant afford an authentic jersey, so Im building up a nice replica collection. 'nice replica' may be an oxymoron to some of you guys, but still all the same. I was burned like 3 times on ebay for reeboks, and friends had always used other avenues to get cheap jerseys, so they gave me some. I don't own a single Reebok anymore and all Ill deal with on ebay are CCMs or Kohos. I love em. I can spot a fake Reebok from a mile away.... 95% of them are fakes anyways, so Ive got a good chance to begin with.

Everything you guys have advised should be great actually. Ill try to hit it with heat, protected of course. If that doesn't work then Ill get the heat and bond stuff you recommended Robert (I knew there was something at a Michaels A.C. Moore, just couldn't think of what it would be called). Even if the 'heat and bond' DOES work I think I may actually get the patch sewn. If Im going to get a name and number kit Im going to have it professional sewn... may as well have them sew the main logo while their at it. I do like the look of a sewn jersey. Pro- Players and Starters are... to bad their logos don't hold up compared to a nice CCM.

Thanks folks. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to toss them in. Im loving these Forums. A ton of info... and if ya cant find an answe you guys are on top of it in no time. Excellent guys... much appreciated.

Don't get me wrong, I have a few replicas in my collection also. I think the point most people are making is twofold.

One, sewing it down is a definite and permanent fix, you never have to worry about it getting unstuck again nor about whether your repair is strong enough.

Second, the resale value of a replica jersey isn't going to be affected by sewing down the logo. If I were looking to buy it, I would see that more as a plus than a problem. Plus,the resale value of replicas, even after they are customized, is already fairly low.

Agreed for the most part.

With you, if I were to see a replica that has been sewn down, Id see it as a plus too. The only worry Id have is how well was it stitched. Id know if it were my jersey and I were going to sell it, but the buyer would be clueless until the got it. Some buyers probably don't care but It would if I were the buyer.

It is a permanent fix... and I think that is the route Im going to take. Ill pick up a name and number kit for Hasek and get it stitched then.

I don't plan on selling any of mine right now. Ive picked up 5 in the past month or so and the collection is starting to look really nice. Just bought a black Bs... $50 though. real expensive. - Next jersey Id like is a Capitals Alternate. "97' to 07' black jersey with Liberty head and Capital building". I found em really cheap as well.

Update: The ironing with a towel does not work. I think itd take a much higher temp at a much shorter time. OR the glue has a one time use things going for it.

I might grab some heat and bond that Robert recommended. I just don't want it too seep...

Id still want to get it stiched up, but after I get it heat pressed. If you guys haven't noticed... I am ridiculously anal- retentive hahaha.

Off topic maybe.

I picked up a Datsyuk white jersey a little while back. The wings emblem is heat pressed and all the numbers and name are sewn. Do some replicas come like this? Or do you guys think this is some custom work?

It looks darn nice.

The only worry Id have is how well was it stitched.

I agree, but I was assuming you were going to have it done the right way. A close up picture of the chain stitching around a crest will generally reveal the quality with which it was done.

Off topic maybe.

I picked up a Datsyuk white jersey a little while back. The wings emblem is heat pressed and all the numbers and name are sewn. Do some replicas come like this? Or do you guys think this is some custom work?

It looks darn nice.

Anytime I have bought a blank replica and had it customized, I wind up with a heat pressed crest and sewn on names and numbers. I am not sure if they factory make them that way, but it's not exactly unusual to find.

Btw... this is the only CCm/Koho jersey that I have seen with a patch that is heat pressed and beginning to come loose. I always figured the used some hardcore adhesive.

Im not entirely sure about which kind of stitch they use on a good jersey. A Z stitch perhaps?... seems a little too 'open'. A chain stitch?

Id like a very close stitch. Kind of how you see the main logos. Hmm.. |||||||||||||--- sort of like that I guess haha.

I just don't know what kind of stitch the use on a real authentic or on ice jersey.

I'm no sewing expert by any means, and I have no idea what the different types of stitching are, but when it comes to things applied to hockey jerseys, I have only ever heard it referred to as chain stitching.

A chain stitch is what the hawks heads are made of, you would be looking for a zig-zag stitch

Having now Googled both terms that appears to be correct.