dsl135

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/30/2017 at 2:28 PM, Devilsguy said:

Just got the UPS email that the jersey from GWA is on its way to me.  Excited!

So, here's something interesting.  My package was picked up on Wednesday, May 31.  UPS ground transit time map shows 2 business days in transit to PA.  So, I should be getting it today.  However, it hasn't reached the West Chester hub yet, so I will most likely get it tomorrow or Monday.  UPS guarantees on-time delivery, or your money back.  Wonder if after I receive it, David will be kind enough to refund me part of my $40 shipping cost?  Doubtful, I know.

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

So, here's something interesting.  My package was picked up on Wednesday, May 31.  UPS ground transit time map shows 2 business days in transit to PA.  So, I should be getting it today.  However, it hasn't reached the West Chester hub yet, so I will most likely get it tomorrow or Monday.  UPS guarantees on-time delivery, or your money back.  Wonder if after I receive it, David will be kind enough to refund me part of my $40 shipping cost?  Doubtful, I know.

What does the estimated delivery date show on the tracking?  Mine was also picked up on Wednesday and it also changed the delivery date from Friday to Monday.

I've found that even when you have Best Offer turned off, when you go to re-list your items, E-Bay turns it back on. I also had an issue where I required immediate payment on BIN and E-Bay turned that back off too and now I'm having an issue with a 0 feedback non-paying buyer. They don't care, they just want to bully you into getting their fees.

2 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

What does the estimated delivery date show on the tracking?  Mine was also picked up on Wednesday and it also changed the delivery date from Friday to Monday.

Same. Originally it showed Thursday (when he printed the label). Then it changed to Friday.  Now it says Monday. 

I might get it tomorrow, though, because I have my UPS packages rerouted to the local UPS Store. UPS will not deliver to residential addresses on Saturday (unless Saturday delivery is selected and paid for) but UPS delivers to some business addresses on Saturdays.  But, still, it should have arrived today as originally scheduled after pick-up.

I have been having a hard time with people paying lately.  I have "sold" a laptop 3 times without someone actually paying for it.  I also "sold" my Lidstrom jersey I have listed on here as well, and nothing from the buyer either.  eBay needs to do something about it, it's getting out of hand.  I have been on eBay since '03 and never had a negative feedback and I have never screwed anyone over, and trust me, there have been plenty of times I over bid or had buyers remorse once an auction ended.  But I made an agreement, I do the right thing.  Too many crappy people out there.  End of Rant!

19 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I can't find it. Mfitz offered a suggestion that didn't work. I can't find the buttons to change it at all. I guess I shouldn't complain, I just sold a jersey that unintentionally had best-offer. Well, "sold" isn't quite right. It's been a day since I accepted the guy's offer, still waiting on payment. 

If you can't find it on the website, which I've had this problem as well, you might be able to find it through the app on your phone. I've had success changing listings back that way.

7 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

I have been having a hard time with people paying lately.  I have "sold" a laptop 3 times without someone actually paying for it.  I also "sold" my Lidstrom jersey I have listed on here as well, and nothing from the buyer either.  eBay needs to do something about it, it's getting out of hand.  I have been on eBay since '03 and never had a negative feedback and I have never screwed anyone over, and trust me, there have been plenty of times I over bid or had buyers remorse once an auction ended.  But I made an agreement, I do the right thing.  Too many crappy people out there.  End of Rant!

Last week I sold a jersey on eBay only for the winning bidder to immediately contact me right after they won asking me to cancel the sale.  He said that he mis-read my listing stating that I did not have an LOA and he wouldn't have bid that high if he realized it didn't come with one.

3 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

From what I have heard, this is a new change for eBay.  They are making it harder for sellers to turn off the best offer option on BIN items apparently.

I don't understand. That's an option that pops up when you list an item. If you don't want it, you don't select it. Am I missing something? 

50 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I can't find it. Mfitz offered a suggestion that didn't work. I can't find the buttons to change it at all. I guess I shouldn't complain, I just sold a jersey that unintentionally had best-offer. Well, "sold" isn't quite right. It's been a day since I accepted the guy's offer, still waiting on payment. 

How are you doing it? Web site or mobile site, or the eBay app. I could walk you through any of the above. 

30 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Last week I sold a jersey on eBay only for the winning bidder to immediately contact me right after they won asking me to cancel the sale.  He said that he mis-read my listing stating that I did not have an LOA and he wouldn't have bid that high if he realized it didn't come with one.

I have had nonsense like this happen, I once sold a guitar to a guy, he won after 5 days of bidding, and afterwards he said that he only "secured the right to buy it" and he hadn't decided yet whether he would. 

I sent him a request to cancel and contacted eBay, who told me to go ahead and relist the item. He eventually accepted the cancellation request and I relisted and sold it for $50 more than his high bid. 

Knowing that eBay is as buyer-centric as it is, its better practice to just forget about a buyer like that and just move on. Trying to engage them or to force a sale never works. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have had nonsense like this happen, I once sold a guitar to a guy, he won after 5 days of bidding, and afterwards he said that he only "secured the right to buy it" and he hadn't decided yet whether he would. 

I sent him a request to cancel and contacted eBay, who told me to go ahead and relist the item. He eventually accepted the cancellation request and I relisted and sold it for $50 more than his high bid. 

Knowing that eBay is as buyer-centric as it is, its better practice to just forget about a buyer like that and just move on. Trying to engage them or to force a sale never works. 

Yeah I cancelled the sale.  To the buyer's credit, he did seem remorseful about it.

Your guy with the guitar seems like a piece of work.  I am pretty sure eBay's T&C's don't consider winning an auction just simply a right to buy it, but a committal of sale.  Regardless you are correct that as a seller in these situations eBay basically has you bent over the best is to just simply vent about it a little bit on sites like here and move on.

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have a few things I'd say about a guy like that but I don't think I can get them past the website censors.

If he thinks that he's not required to buy it, then my response would be that you're not required to sell it, and I'd cancel before he could even think it over. If I had a brick and mortar store and that guy came in acting like that I'd refuse him service and kick him out. 

18 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Yeah I cancelled the sale.  To the buyer's credit, he did seem remorseful about it.

Your guy with the guitar seems like a piece of work.  I am pretty sure eBay's T&C's don't consider winning an auction just simply a right to buy it, but a committal of sale.  Regardless you are correct that as a seller in these situations eBay basically has you bent over the best is to just simply vent about it a little bit on sites like here and move on.

Exactly right. And I was rewarded with an extra $50 for doing so!!

6 minutes ago, CJ Matthews said:

I have a few things I'd say about a guy like that but I don't think I can get them past the website censors.

If he thinks that he's not required to buy it, then my response would be that you're not required to sell it, and I'd cancel before he could even think it over. If I had a brick and mortar store and that guy came in acting like that I'd refuse him service and kick him out. 

I essentially did the online version of that. As a seller, you cannot unilaterally cancel an eBay sale, it requires the consent of the buyer. But, requesting the cancellation, reporting him to eBay, and relisting the item is pretty close. 

While I wanted to be nasty to him, I wasn't, because I wanted to encourage him to accept my request so I could be done with him. Also wanted to preserve my stellar feedback record. 

But yeah, he was a dooshe (we can't spell it the real way?? Censorship!!!) of the highest order. 

Edited by mfitz804

I think eBay should require bidders to put in a credit card when registering.  You win an auction, you have 5 days to pay.  You don't pay, your card is charged and you lose all buyer protection on the item once the seller ships.  It's bullsh*t what bidders are allowed to get away with.

12 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I think eBay should require bidders to put in a credit card when registering.  You win an auction, you have 5 days to pay.  You don't pay, your card is charged and you lose all buyer protection on the item once the seller ships.  It's bullsh*t what bidders are allowed to get away with.

I like it. Valid credit card has to be posted as a backup source. I wouldn't give 5 days to pay, 2 is fine, 3 is ok too. Its 2017, there's really not much of an excuse for not paying after 3 days. That gives the buyer 3 days to pay by some method other than said credit card if they choose. 

Personally, I find if I haven't gotten paid within 24 hours, there's a 50-50 chance I am never getting paid. After 48 hours, probably even less. 

The flip side of this will be, you'd be waiting 3 days (in your scenario, 5 days) to get most payments. People by nature are lazy, and many would just wait for the credit card to be automatically charged rather than having to go in and make a payment manually. 

I don't mind that. Sometimes I almost prefer if the buyer takes a few days because I'm not ready to ship and when my listing says I have to ship within 3 days and I need 5 I need that extra cushion.

The most important part of my solution is that the buyer then loses their buyer protection on the item.  So, it's a penalty to them for not paying in a timely fashion.  It would still protect them for non-delivery, but I would imagine that 99% of non-paying bidders would just file a fraudulent claim against the item and get their money back anyway.  This penalty would prevent that and make them think twice about not paying in the future.

Heck, if eBay offered this kind of service as "seller insurance" and charged $50 a year for it, I bet they'd make a ton of money.  I should be eBay's CEO.

10 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Heck, if eBay offered this kind of service as "seller insurance" and charged $50 a year for it, I bet they'd make a ton of money.  I should be eBay's CEO.

Just remember, we all knew you before you were a big shot so only charge us $25. 

13 minutes ago, CJ Matthews said:

I don't mind that. Sometimes I almost prefer if the buyer takes a few days because I'm not ready to ship and when my listing says I have to ship within 3 days and I need 5 I need that extra cushion.

I guess its a matter of preference. 

I would add, if someone TELLS me they are going to pay in 3-5 days, its a lot different than someone who just never responds and doesn't pay for 5 days. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Just remember, we all knew you before you were a big shot so only charge us $25. 

I'm a nice guy. It's free for IJ peeps ? 

5 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I'm a nice guy. It's free for IJ peeps ? 

This is exactly what makes you a good CEO, my man. 

2 hours ago, CJ Matthews said:

Since I pay my PayPal using either a credit card or PayPal Credit, I time my payments based on the ends of statements. I will always tell the buyer if I need a few days before paying. 

7 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

Since I pay my PayPal using either a credit card or PayPal Credit, I time my payments based on the ends of statements. I will always tell the buyer if I need a few days before paying. 

This is the key. 

I would add, its one thing to ask for a couple of days. Its another thing altogether to win something on June 1 and after doing so, telling the seller you aren't paying until June 28. I know that's NOT what you are saying, just pointing out the obvious. 

Personally, I don't bid on anything that I can't pay for immediately, but if I had a situation where a few days made a difference, I would probably ask the seller in advance f it was ok. 

My least favorite is "well, I have some items for sale, let me see if they sell before I pay". That's not cool. I don't need to wait for you to sell something, if you need to do that, you shouldn't have bid. 

"I have items ending tomorrow, can I wait until then to see if they sell, and then I will pay either way" is perfectly acceptable.