eBay version 4.0

dsl135

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't buy game worns because the players I want to collect are a) too expensive, and 2) not necessarily my size, and I collect jerseys to wear them. 

Collecting GW would result in me having jerseys I either don't want because I could afford the, and don't need because I can't wear them. 

So I stick with authentics. 

That's the thing, I have 3-4 jerseys I wear to games these days and that's it.  I used to have a ton of replicas and authentics that I would wear, but these days I stopped caring.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

That's the thing, I have 3-4 jerseys I wear to games these days and that's it.  I used to have a ton of replicas and authentics that I would wear, but these days I stopped caring.

I'm not sure I would keep collecting if I wasn't wanting to wear them. 

Its better this way, we each have one less person to compete against for purchases!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boston-Bruins-Eddie-Shore-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-Genuine-1930s-Vintage-Worn-/232437841907?hash=item361e5ffff3:g:2HsAAOSwAH1Zhy6Y

I saw this when it was first listed and researched it bit.  Maybe someone can confirm, but the Bruins never wore this style, correct?  When they had the numbers on the front, they had 'B's' on the arm and a different style of shoulder stripes.  I'm sure if it was an actual Eddie Shore jersey it would go for tens of thousands of dollars.  No question it is a vintage jersey, but I am not sure it's a Bruins jersey.

interested on what others think.

I agree. The colors were brown and yellow during that period too. This looks black with brown numbers to me...though, I don't always trust my effed up eyes in color situations. It's strange. Here's my theory: Perhaps Eddie did actually wear it but it was altered in some way after that point. Look at how the front number is a lot clearer and a different font than the back one. Was the B removed at some point and then another, newer #2 added after the fact for collecting or display purposes? It's possible I guess. For a piece like this, I would insist on having it authenticated first. Someone's down for it though because it's up to four grand already.

On 8/6/2017 at 3:55 PM, Dr_Puck said:

I finally entered the new century and purchased a home printer. I know eBay knocks off USPS shipping fees if you go through them and print a label via their site. Does the USPS reduce prices if you ship from home via a printed label from your computer? 

Along these same lines, does anyone use poly bags to cut down on weight?  Up until now I've just been reusing boxes to ship my stuff in, but a large 13" USPS Priority box weighs a good 9-10 ounces.  Stick a jersey in there and you're way over the 1 lb threshold and possibly over 2 lbs, where the shipping prices jump considerably. 

I thought about ordering a bunch of free Regional Rate A2 boxes from usps.com, since they are lower-cost for the same Priority speed.  But, got to thinking about the poly bags.  EPS uses them, and I haven't heard people complaining about their jerseys.  And, it would eliminate the need for an inner ziplock bag, since the poly is waterproof.

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

But, got to thinking about the poly bags.  EPS uses them, and I haven't heard people complaining about their jerseys.  And, it would eliminate the need for an inner ziplock bag, since the poly is waterproof.

Thoughts?

Do you have any bags picked out?  I've also been thinking about this, after learning in detail about the huge cost increases at the pound increments with USPS to Canada. 

I have the poly bags for certain things, but generally speaking, I just use the A2 Priority Mail box (or a Medium flat rate box depending on where its going, sometimes its cheaper) for jerseys. Jersey people are picky (like we don't know) and they like things coming in boxes. I don't feel a box adds significantly to the price of shipping a single jersey, it might, but I never double checked it. 

When I do ship in a poly bag, I still ziplock the jersey as an added layer of protection, and sometimes a second poly bag, in case the outer poly bag gets ripped.  USPS can't be trusted. 

5 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Do you have any bags picked out?  I've also been thinking about this, after learning in detail about the huge cost increases at the pound increments with USPS to Canada. 

I did some searching on Amazon and saw a few, but I'm not sure which are the best to use.  There's different thicknesses, sizes, ones with gussets, etc. It's confusing :/

I use plain, 14X19 poly bags like these.

Not where I bought them, haven't checked if these are the best price.

They fit a single jersey easily. They would not fit two without significant manipulation and squishing. 

I use them more for shipping other items, and they are especially useful for retail returns when you have mauled the poly bag the items came in and don't want to try to re-tape it. 

A gusseted bad of 2-3 inches would probably handle two. But, at that point, you're probably into Flat Rate Box price anyway, so you'd be better off that way. 

1 minute ago, furiousd said:

I just got 2 from EPS yesterday - I can check if there's a brand/SKU on the bag.  They seem to do a fine job, even if they seem cheesier (to me) than a box.  I would probably experiment with inner ziplocs, maybe taping those together, etc. 

The ones EPS are a bit thicker than the ones I posted, I believed. But I have never had anyone report back to me that anything happened to them, so they must be working out ok. When I use them, anyway. 

Just go to a fedex / ups location and open an account. It's free to do. You can get all the poly bags you want from them for free and just ship with Canada Post / USPS. They don't care if it's UPS or FedEx packaging. 

1 hour ago, AlereFlammam said:

Just go to a fedex / ups location and open an account. It's free to do. You can get all the poly bags you want from them for free and just ship with Canada Post / USPS. They don't care if it's UPS or FedEx packaging. 

I actually had one hag at the post office give me crap for using a fed ex box to ship with Canada post.  She said I had to cover all the fed ex logos or she wouldn't accept it.  Told her to p iss off and just took it to another location that didn't give a crap about the box.

2 hours ago, AlereFlammam said:

That's actually not a bad idea. Hmm...

13 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Here's the bag that I just got from EPS. 14x19, 3 mil, same specs as the one mfitz posted.

https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-12910/Poly-Mailers/14-1-2-x-19-Self-Seal-Tear-Proof-Polyethylene-Mailers-Bulk-Pack

How were the contents on arrival?

Do you think it would stand up to international shipping? I've had three recent shipments in USPS priority medium boxes and they're pretty banged up by the time I get them. Contents have been OK. Shippers have had jerseys in zip-lock bag inside (reputable sellers). I'll let you know about the Buffalo when it gets here.

Moooo!

I've never had an EPS shipment damaged in transit, so if those are the bags they use, they are fine. 

I've shipped internationally in those bags with no reported problems. 

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I've never had an EPS shipment damaged in transit, so if those are the bags they use, they are fine. 

I've shipped internationally in those bags with no reported problems. 

Good o. 

I would add, I do find them useful for when someone is in a hurry or if I am especially busy and dropping the prepaid jersey into a mailbox is easier for me. If you print postage online, your are permitted to do this; using stamps you can't. 

This has allowed me to ship stuff at midnight (or later) when my schedule is such that I will not be able to ship in the daytime for an extended period. 

Wouldn't those Devils jersey be 1989-90 jerseys?  No NHL shield or maybe it didn't get that far in production since the crest wasn't even added yet.  It is interesting why Meigray would have those in their inventory.  I wonder if someone in the Devils organization found those in storage and just gave them to Meigray to sell.  It's pretty cool, but I don't think it would be very easy to find an authentic crest for that time period to complete a devils jersey - and it sucks they are a size 44.

30 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

Wouldn't those Devils jersey be 1989-90 jerseys?  No NHL shield or maybe it didn't get that far in production since the crest wasn't even added yet.  It is interesting why Meigray would have those in their inventory.  I wonder if someone in the Devils organization found those in storage and just gave them to Meigray to sell.  It's pretty cool, but I don't think it would be very easy to find an authentic crest for that time period to complete a devils jersey - and it sucks they are a size 44.

100% this. 

44 (nope), no NHL shield makes it unlikely they are from the year specified. Also weren't Devils into Red n Black by then? There are enough Devils experts here who could confirm I'm sure  

The one positive is they are Ultrafil. Mmmmmm sweet, sweet Ultrafil. Perhaps I could get 2 and somehow frankenjersey them into something my size. Or, maybe I should move this to the Jersey collecting is an illness thread. 

Edited by SoNowWhat?

On 7/24/2017 at 5:17 PM, AlereFlammam said: