eBay version 4.0

dsl135

18 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I'm sure that's what they did.  You can probably safely subtract 4" from the measurement.  So, it's probably a size 52.  I'd email the person and ask them to remeasure.

I contacted the seller and asked for a measurement across the hem.
He said 25.5 across the bottom so it's probably about a 52

I was kicking it around but $500 + strip and hope it comes clean + fix the fight strap + relettering correctly = a tall stack of cash

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I was kicking it around but $500 + strip and hope it comes clean + fix the fight strap + relettering correctly = a tall stack of cash

Yeah, that's pretty much the same reason I'm staying away. I also like to stay under $200 if I have to strip a jersey to minimize risk of losing $$.

Edited by gwarjis

56 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Both the size analysis and financial analysis are most likely correct. 

I stopped watching that Hawks jersey.  The Gunzo logo would have been cool, but the fight strap issue, and the needing to be stripped, it is just too much for what they are asking.

Guest Dr_Puck

I knocked $15 off a jersey, forgot to re-set my autodecline offer settings, and then received an offer for less than half of the BIN price. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I knocked $15 off a jersey, forgot to re-set my autodecline offer settings, and then received an offer for less than half of the BIN price. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. 

Not that dumb, you can just reject it and then re-set your auto reject. Not a big deal. 

Guest Dr_Puck
5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not that dumb, you can just reject it and then re-set your auto reject. Not a big deal. 

Never mind, I'll be nice. 

Edited by Dr_Puck

31 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Never mind, I'll be nice. 

1) Thats what she said.

2) However you want to play it is fine. 

Guest Dr_Puck
55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

1) Thats what she said.

2) However you want to play it is fine. 

I was venting about the buyer, not you! I just don't understand ebayers. Or Facebook users. Or really anyone who isn't sensible. 

Well, that being said, as discussed previously, whether an offer of 50% of BIN is sensible depends on the item, the BIN price, and the seller. The first two are known, the third isn’t.

He doesn’t know your level of desperation to sell. So the guy took a shot. He knows now, I’m sure. 

52 minutes ago, CJ Matthews said:

I had somebody offer me $37 on a $1,499 OBO listing. At that point I just block the buyer.

That is ridiculous, obviously. A $37 offer on a $200 item is borderline ridiculous. 

Fine, I will pay you $50 but only if you include free shipping. 

Which is a whole other Best Offer annoyance. "Can you include free shipping?". Yeah, on the day USPS makes shipping free, I'll include free shipping. 

I had another item, listed $599.95 OBO. Had a guy offer me $100. I countered at $500. He countered at $200. I countered at $400. He countered at $200.01. I declined. Then a month or two later he comes back and says "Didn’t seem to work for $600. $100 seems fair." and offers me the $100 again. I don't even bother countering now.

See that’s the thing, you never know how low a seller will go unless you try. He got you down 33.3% on your price while making ludicrous offers. You only declined him when he raised his offer by a penny, which is grounds for automatic denial regardless of the price. 

Someone looking to sell more desperately than you, his tactic may have worked. 

Edited by mfitz804

I thought I was being reasonable, and was willing to engage in a reasonable back and forth, until he decided to be unreasonable. If I had started the item price at $400 for example, his offer probably would have never made it over $100, and probably would have started at $50, because he didn't want to be reasonable.

Edited by CJ Matthews

1 hour ago, CJ Matthews said:

I thought I was being reasonable, and was willing to engage in a reasonable back and forth, until he decided to be unreasonable. If I had started the item price at $400 for example, his offer probably would have never made it over $100, and probably would have started at $50, because he didn't want to be reasonable.

I agree. My point was, though, that it’s not a big leap between coming down 33.3% to coming down 50%. And you were being totally reasonable. People on this board were questioning whether 50% off offers were reasonable, and in certain circumstances, they can be. 

If he came back at $300 instead of $200.01 like a d!ck, what would you have done?

Guest Dr_Puck

I always hate negotiating on ebay. There are some buyers out there who clearly don't know what they're doing and don't belong to any jersey groups. And then ... then there are the buyers who you think may or may not be an IJ or Facebook user. I think I've gone back and forth with a couple of ebayers only to realize that they're good people here. 

1 hour ago, cjerina said:

Depending on how value, I bet he would have countered between $350-375.

That’s pushing 50% off the BIN. That’s why people lowball. 

25 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I always hate negotiating on ebay. There are some buyers out there who clearly don't know what they're doing and don't belong to any jersey groups. 

Yeah, but when those people sell...

For that particular item I probably would have countered at 375, because after fees I'd still be pushing where I wanted to end up. Off of ebay, I probably would have gone down a bit more, maybe 325-330.

1 hour ago, CJ Matthews said:

For that particular item I probably would have countered at 375, because after fees I'd still be pushing where I wanted to end up. Off of ebay, I probably would have gone down a bit more, maybe 325-330.

Right. So your BIN was roughly double what you wanted to get. 

To those who think a 50% off best offer is “lowballing”, there’s proof it’s not. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Right. So your BIN was roughly double what you wanted to get. 

To those who think a 50% off best offer is “lowballing”, there’s proof it’s not. 

It's not necessarily "proof" of anything more than that one individual seller. I personally don't list my items for THAT much more than I'm willing to accept. Sorta like you said "the unknown aspect is the seller." So this isn't exactly "proof" except for that specific seller.

Otherwise it would be "proof" that 50% IS "lowballing" because, I, as a seller, said so, lol.

It's only one source, is my point, I guess.

Edited by dsl135