eBay version 4.0

dsl135

I've seen those posts of people who happen to post pics of the jerseys they have that are not for sale that are always right after when someone posts that they are looking for said photo. There is one or two people in particular who seem to do it and that's the ugly side of the hobby that I wish would disappear. Also the whole glendening jersey thing over the past few days is one person completely overreacting and making the collecting community look foolish. Sorry but he snoozed and lost and nothing dirty happened. It's happens to all of us at some point but we suck it up and move on.

I like it here too but this forum seems to focus more on authentics than game worn. Since my focus is more on game worn jerseys, this is a good resource but not my only resource.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've heard references to the Glendening thing but I'm not sure what the full story is. Can someone enlighten me?

I've heard references to the Glendening thing but I'm not sure what the full story is. Can someone enlighten me?

Messaged you.

Yeah the Glendening thing made me scratch my head. No one is entitled to anything just because you collect that player. Yeah, it'd be cool and nice of a guy in front of you to throw you a bone but they're not obligated to.

Exactly. You snooze you lose. Like I said I've been on the wrong side of it but it happens. Just move on as there will always be another jersey.

Yeah the Glendening thing made me scratch my head. No one is entitled to anything just because you collect that player. Yeah, it'd be cool and nice of a guy in front of you to throw you a bone but they're not obligated to.

Having been filled in, I have to agree. But if I wanted it, I wouldn't care if another guy collected him and felt entitled to it. You snooze, you lose is definitely correct.

Guest Dr_Puck

Having been filled in, I have to agree. But if I wanted it, I wouldn't care if another guy collected him and felt entitled to it. You snooze, you lose is definitely correct.

The Glendening issue was as much drama as I have seen in the hobby in the last year. People on both sides have been pretty upset.

To the other issue that Devilsguy mentioned, there are some people in the groups who seem to enjoy busting chops. It's a bit more cutthroat on Facebook than here.

The Glendening issue was as much drama as I have seen in the hobby in the last year. People on both sides have been pretty upset.

To the other issue that Devilsguy mentioned, there are some people in the groups who seem to enjoy busting chops. It's a bit more cutthroat on Facebook than here.

I can imagine. The folks here are pretty tame, you don't get a lot of that kind of stuff here. Instead you get "nice jersey, if you ever want to sell it I'm interested" .

Wait... did someone seriously get mad because they saw a Glendenning jersey, didn't buy it, and someone else bought it?

Do they think that just because they collect that player that everyone should bow to them and let them have first dibs on EVERY jersey of the guy?

Sorry, I don't necessarily know the whole story either, but piecing the above posts together, this seems to be the case. And that's probably the most asinine, selfish, entitled thing I've heard of in this hobby.

Not quite, but Amonte78 posted the story that was authored by the person who got upset. Really the two guys who bought the Glendening jersey got it fair and square. If he really wanted it, maybe he should have figured to be first in line. I know a group of Devils collectors who at the 2009 equipment sale actually arrived the night before and stayed/slept in the streets of Newark overnight so they could be first in line to get the stuff. It happens.

Didn't make things better when the author of the story continued on about this on FB as well.

Wait... did someone seriously get mad because they saw a Glendenning jersey, didn't buy it, and someone else bought it?

Do they think that just because they collect that player that everyone should bow to them and let them have first dibs on EVERY jersey of the guy?

Sorry, I don't necessarily know the whole story either, but piecing the above posts together, this seems to be the case. And that's probably the most asinine, selfish, entitled thing I've heard of in this hobby.

Really the two guys who bought the Glendening jersey got it fair and square. If he really wanted it, maybe he should have figured to be first in line.

Simple as that. I don't understand the drama at all and I hope that the current owner enjoys his Glendening jersey :)

Yea, he really comes off as an entitled brat.

He already has so many Glendenning's, and feels like others should never get any.

They specifically got there because he always grabs everything and leaves nothing for anyone else to collect.

Good for those guys for finally getting to add a jersey to their collection that they wanted.

Same author also got upset last month or so about the OSU equipment sale. Basically same thing happened. A dealer actually was first in line for that sale and pretty much bought up all the hockey jerseys for $150 a pop, and is now selling them marked up on eBay. Yeah that is really annoying and it does rub me the wrong way a little but the dealer made sure he was first in line and he got them fair and square as well.

Not quite, but Amonte78 posted the story that was authored by the person who got upset. Really the two guys who bought the Glendening jersey got it fair and square. If he really wanted it, maybe he should have figured to be first in line. I know a group of Devils collectors who at the 2009 equipment sale actually arrived the night before and stayed/slept in the streets of Newark overnight so they could be first in line to get the stuff. It happens.

Didn't make things better when the author of the story continued on about this on FB as well.

Slept in the streets of Newark?? How long did they smell like pee after that?

lol that was not the worst part. They actually found out the next day that the Dunkin Donuts around the corner from where they were sleeping was robbed at gunpoint over the night.

Slept in the streets of Newark?? How long did they smell like pee after that?

Allow me to explain the article and defend myself before you jump down my throat about something you are reading far too much into, yes?

Not sure if this is just a new concept in the game worn collecting community or something that people dont understand, but people have opinions, have a right to those opinions, and can share those opinions.

My opinion is that you are trying to draw a hard conclusion out of the article I wrote about the sale. The article is intended to captivate an audience with a collector's expectations, let downs, thoughts, etc. Its not a bash piece.

Maybe you can point me in the direction in the article where it says I thought I was entitled to them? To me, I made it pretty clear that I did not expect anyone to be there before me SPECIFICALLY for that player. I also inferred my fate and tried the classic negotiation routine which failed. I explained my feelings on the event as a whole, from one perspective.

As far as the OSU thing goes, its an account of what happened. It seems pretty factual to me and was sourced through the feelings of other collectors. Are they also not allowed to have an opinion on the matter?

I guess my question is to you might be, why are you so hung up on the sharing of personal feelings, opinions, and facts within the hobby? How does the sharing of one persons thoughts and disappointment in a certain situation make the hobby look bad? I argue the contrary, that the more we talk and voice our opinions, not hide from the reality that things happen that we dont agree with (and the fact that they happened is ok, not everybody has to be ok with every situation) and we start accepting and respecting that everyone feels different about different situations, then we grow as a whole.

I welcome other sides of the story. Write it, submit it, and it will be published instead of bitching on here about how you dont like that a specific collector felt a specific way and published it. Are you the guy selling the OSU stuff on eBay and want to publicize your experience and why you did it? Are you Stephen and would like to get your accounts of the events published?

If not, write something interesting that people would want to read that pertain to the hobby and it can be published. Its not a problem. Aaaand I lost track of where i was going with this...

Allow me to explain the article and defend myself before you jump down my throat about something you are reading far too much into, yes?

Not sure if this is just a new concept in the game worn collecting community or something that people dont understand, but people have opinions, have a right to those opinions, and can share those opinions.

My opinion is that you are trying to draw a hard conclusion out of the article I wrote about the sale. The article is intended to captivate an audience with a collector's expectations, let downs, thoughts, etc. Its not a bash piece.

Maybe you can point me in the direction in the article where it says I thought I was entitled to them? To me, I made it pretty clear that I did not expect anyone to be there before me SPECIFICALLY for that player. I also inferred my fate and tried the classic negotiation routine which failed. I explained my feelings on the event as a whole, from one perspective.

As far as the OSU thing goes, its an account of what happened. It seems pretty factual to me and was sourced through the feelings of other collectors. Are they also not allowed to have an opinion on the matter?

I guess my question is to you might be, why are you so hung up on the sharing of personal feelings, opinions, and facts within the hobby? How does the sharing of one persons thoughts and disappointment in a certain situation make the hobby look bad? I argue the contrary, that the more we talk and voice our opinions, not hide from the reality that things happen that we dont agree with (and the fact that they happened is ok, not everybody has to be ok with every situation) and we start accepting and respecting that everyone feels different about different situations, then we grow as a whole.

I welcome other sides of the story. Write it, submit it, and it will be published instead of bitching on here about how you dont like that a specific collector felt a specific way and published it. Are you the guy selling the OSU stuff on eBay and want to publicize your experience and why you did it? Are you Stephen and would like to get your accounts of the events published?

If not, write something interesting that people would want to read that pertain to the hobby and it can be published. Its not a problem. Aaaand I lost track of where i was going with this...

People can say what they want about what they've read in Derek's article, but he's been great in helping numerous collectors (myself included).

As he points out from the beginning, he brought a friend with him who is unfamiliar with the hobby to show him everything that is great, and not so great in the world of Jersey collecting. I think his friend got a great lesson out of it, and Derek will still continue to collect (and help others collect) based on everybody's mutual love for the hobby, no matter the setbacks involved.

Sucks he didn't get what he was aiming for, but he still had some great pickups (sell me that Hasek!), and laid the groundwork for that Glendening jersey to hopefully make it to his collection at a later date.

To answer your questions:

1) Indeed it is your opinion, but its an opinion that didn't need to be grandstanded. We have all been on the receiving end of disappointment, but at the end of the day we suck it up and move on. This wasn't a pure opinion piece, it was a rant piece about how you didn't get what you want because you got beaten to it.

2) It does make the hobby look bad as it does make us look entitled. I am not the only one on here and on FB to think this way. You even said in the article you thought many times of the leaving just because you couldn't get those jerseys. After the paragraph where you talked about basically after trying to size them up as collectors, you tried to convince them to go after other jerseys. That's basically a teenager trying to trick/convince his little brother to get something else because he got something that his older brother wanted.

I know your site was created to be "for the collector" as the other forum was being more about business than collecting. However articles like the one you posted shows the other extreme.

Edited by Devilsguy

I wrote an article about MY accounts of the event and all of a sudden I am grandstanding?

Yes, I did talk to them about other things to see if they would be MORE interested in them. Again, I dont see the problem with that. I actually pointed out an interested Helm piece that appeared and he actually picked it up and is quite happy with it.

A year ago, when I wrote about the same event, nobody seemed to have a problem with it: http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=6776&hl=%2Bequipment+%2Bsale

But you read something that someone doesn't like or doesn't agree with, your grandstanding, uncalled for, etc.

I write about events, I write about what happened, I write about how people feel or their take on the situation. Its absolutely no different than you writing your opinion about the article here, just through a different medium. Like I said, its an open platform, if you want to write an opinion piece and submit it, feel free.

I appreciate you trying to draw your own conclusions to call me out, but you fail to point on where through out my entire article i made the inference that these people should not be allowed to buy something that I want. Not the case.

I can boil down the summary of the article if you would like, so you can stop grasping to find some sort of malice behind it:
Was not first in line.

Guys in front want exactly what I want.

They will probably get it and that is the biggest reason I am here, so should I spend my time and stay?

They know about me, I never heard of them so I do fact finding.

Maybe they would be willing to get something else after talking to them, no? Ok. Was worth a shot.

Got some stuff, chatted with the guy on FB later.

So let me just log what I interpret of you trying to find malice:

It does make the hobby look bad as it does make us look entitled

Didn't think anyone would show up before me for Glendening. They did. I analyzed that they would most likely get it and started to deal with that realization.

You even said in the article you thought many times of the leaving just because you couldn't get those jerseys.

A choice that I am allowed to make to determine if my time is wasted. Its like when the store only has 20 items, and you are the 21st in line and its 2 hours before the doors open. Do you stay knowing you will not get it?

basically after trying to size them up as collectors,

They knew of me, I had never heard of them and discovered why.

you tried to convince them to go after other jerseys

They very well might be interested in something they did not know was there and change their mind upon new information, budget constraints etc.

I know your site was created to be "for the collector" as the other forum was being more about business than collecting. However articles like the one you posted shows the other extreme

So sharing my thoughts, experiences, and things I wanted to buy but couldn't while recounting an event makes the website seem business oriented? I made it pretty clear the article did not represent the opinions of the site as a whole.

I feel like you have never read an opinion piece in the news paper, or read any blog style articles based on freelance writers and such. I also feel like you are trying to dig deeper into meaning than what is on the surface in order to make a personal attack.

I dont know how many times I need to explain, it was a literary piece, about how I felt, which is factual because I felt it and I write it. You think its grandstanding? I think its no different than you writing your opinion about me apparently being an a****** on this forum.

I'll weigh in...

At this point, people view the internet (and social media in general, which like it of not INCLUDES this site) as a place they can talk about whatever they are doing in their life, how they feel, etc., so that others can read it.

He was upset about not getting the Glendenings, and he decided to write about it and post it online. He has the total right to do that and if you don't want to, you have the right not to read it.

But, once you've taken to the internet, you've exposed yourself to the opinions of others. Just as you are free to post about your experience, your readers are free to discuss their opinions about your article. If you don't want people to comment on your opinions, keep them off the internet.

Also, FWIW, if its your opinion that DWhitaker acted like a child, that may be, but he wasn't the only one. The guys who decided because they heard a guy was collecting all the Glendenings, so they went there with the entire idea of messing up his action, acted like children also.

Which doesn't mean there isn't a small amount of humor in it.

Yes you wrote about the sale a year ago, but want to know why no one reacted like this last year? Because you pretty much got exactly what you wanted!

Let's go down your version of events:

Was not first in line. - No dispute there

Guys in front want exactly what I want. - not disputing this either

They will probably get it and that is the biggest reason I am here, so should I spend my time and stay? - This is just you pouting. You were there to help out others by getting stuff for them. I doubt you would have really left.

They know about me, I never heard of them so I do fact finding. - They didn't know you. They knew of a guy who collects all of the Glendening jerseys and leaving nothing for anyone else. That happened to be you.

Maybe they would be willing to get something else after talking to them, no? Ok. Was worth a shot. - This is a common trick some vets try to use on people they believe are new to the hobby. I've had some vets try to do that to me in the past. It's a great way to prevent newbies from getting into the hobby more. Why not just let them be? I doubt if they weren't after Glendening if you would have offered the same "advice"

Got some stuff, chatted with the guy on FB later. - Great and not disputing that either!

And with the whole thing about me never reading an opinion piece before, I have read plenty. Ever have a reaction or opinion after reading an opinion piece? Well that's what I have and I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. Can't expect everyone to agree with you and how you felt.

You also mis-read my part about business oriented. The other forum (.net) is becoming more and more business oriented and less collector-oriented (I think you can agree there). However, what you are posting is the opposite extreme.

To me, there are three direct quotes in the article that make it seem like a grandstanding rant piece.

"At one point he did ask about the Red Wings game worn group, so I added him to the group, but recommended that he not post any pictures of the Glendening because many of the collectors in that group know those were what I was after."

Why does that matter? Why should he not post his new additions to his collection, simply based on the fact that you wanted them as well? You say you know he did nothing wrong by getting there ahead of you, so why would it be bad for him to post pictures of something he's wanted for so long just because you also wanted it? There is absolutely no logic in this.

"Writing this piece, I am still frustrated at the situation and I can’t figure out why it bothers me so much. I keep flip flopping back and forth on saying screw it and getting rid of everything I got today or keeping it."

This too. You can be frustrated that someone got there before you, and be bummed about it, but you seem like you're trying to make it into something more by saying "you're not sure why it bothers you so much." If you're only concerned with the fact that you should have gotten there sooner, then lesson learned and move on. There's nothing more to be frustrated about. And why sell all the cool items you were able to get? That's what makes it come off like "I didn't get what I wanted, so now I'm throwing a tantrum and taking my ball and going home."

And finally... "Why do they seem to be here solely to ruin my day?" They weren't. They were there because they also like Glendenning and wanted to get a game-worn jersey of his. They made sure to beat you there because that's the only way they could ever get a Glendenning at this point. Ruining your day had absolutely NOTHING to do with this.

Frankly, if you were truly such a fan of Glendenning, I would think you would think it was awesome that someone else liked him so much and was finally able to add his jersey to their collection. You have several right? So let this guy have one, or two, or whatever. He's allowed to collect the same player, it's not like anyone can call dibs on a specific player. It's supposed to be the shared common interest, even sometimes down to the same player, that bonds the group, not drives them apart or causes unresolved "frustrated feelings."

Edited by dsl135