CBJ Prototype Jersey

AlereFlammam

The hideous thing about it is that horrible bedazzled CBJ logo and the dumb Stinger mascot. The other elements of the jersey are actually not bad.

I do think the current Jackets style with the Ohio flag is a homerun. Amazing where they are now from where they started.

The hideous thing about it is that horrible bedazzled CBJ logo and the dumb Stinger mascot. The other elements of the jersey are actually not bad.

I do think the current Jackets style with the Ohio flag is a homerun. Amazing where they are now from where they started.

The funny thing is, those are the two elements that are virtually unchanged in the final design. The blue twill background is much darker, but the design is dead on to what they actually used.

The funny thing is, those are the two elements that are virtually unchanged in the final design.

That was my point - the elements they started with, the old CBJ logo and the concept of Stinger were just flawed from the beginning. And I still think the name was originally a play on Blue Jacket the indian despite the fact that the team backs away from that now. Basically I think when the team started they had a bit of an identity problem. However once they zeroed in on the Ohio state flag theme and stuck with it, I think they found a very strong identity.

The Jackets being named after the Indian is an urban legend started by reports after the name was leaked a few days before the official announcement.

Newspaper report from 11/7/97 4 days before the name was officially announced http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Vu1fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=I7YFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3576%2C1461122&dq

Newspaper report from 11/12/97 the day after the name was officially announced http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=8_tS2Vw13FcC&dat=19971112&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

From the story: "The Civil War cap and jacket are symbols of local pride - Ohio had more soldiers in the Union Army per capita than any other state. The name is not, backers have said, a reference to Ohio's 19th century Shawnee Indian war chief Blue Jacket."

​From day one the name was directly lined to the Civil War and this jersey is further proof of this given its clear military theme.

The only problem I have ever had with the name was the choice of Stinger as the mascot and it's use on the jerseys. Boomer ruled BTW.

Another urban legend is that Nationwide Arena was built on the old Ohio Penn site and the team is cursed because of this. Pure BS. The Penn is in the middle of this photo. Nationwide Arena was built where the parking lots near the top middle of the photo are located.

milepost801-art-griig3jn-1ohio-pen---pen

Yes I remember all the local news articles when the name was announced. I'm saying I think it's ridiculous for someone living in that area of Ohio to come up with the name "Blue Jackets" and try to claim it's not related to the famous Shawnee war chief of the same name from that area. I think it was intentional not coincidental.

Edited by akteon

It's much more likely the name was picked by JHM because he's a navy guy then anything else and this is seen in the star that is used on the sleeves.

Blue Jacket is not all that well know. I have live here all my life and the first time I heard of him was after the myth started. If you were going to pick an Indian to name a central Ohio team after it starts and ends with Tecumseh with Logan coming in a distant 2nd.

Edited by enzo269

Yes I remember all the local news articles when the name was announced. I'm saying I think it's ridiculous for someone living in that area of Ohio to come up with the name "Blue Jackets" and try to claim it's not related to the famous Shawnee war chief of the same name from that area. I think it was intentional not coincidental.

I can provide a bit of additional info.

Original owner John H. McConnell's involvement in naming the team is said to have been that the name must contain "blue", and that blue be the primary color. That's it.

The most well-known Indian chiefs in Ohio are Tecumseh (Shawnee) and Little Turtle (Miami). Those two and Blue Jacket were all contemporaries, so to name a team after the least known of the three would be an interesting choice indeed.

In addition, Miami University was in the process of changing their team names from Redskins to Redhawks. Several other schools in the old Northwest Territory were making changes as well. It wouldn't make any sense for an NHL team to come along and then plant itself right into the middle of a maelstrom by naming it after an Indian chief.

Thank God they didn't go with that. The chevrons... they're just so bad.