What part of the jersey is used for "Edge" nameplate material?

So I have a few jerseys I may want to get done up, all of the same design.

I've heard of collectors cutting up extra jerseys to make name plate material. I have an Edge 1.0 jersey in a larger size that I could convince myself to cut up to make name plates.

My question is, what part of the jersey is used for "Edge" material?

Is it the mesh part on the back where the number sits on? Or is it the actual shoulder area where the name plate rests on? If it is the shoulder area, it seems rather futile, since you wouldn't get very much material even out of a large jersey.

Second, I've never owned an Edge 2.0 jersey, only 1.0. Assuming it is the mesh panel on the back of the Edge 1.0 where the number rests that make up the name plate material, would this material also be able to be used for 2.0 jerseys?

Lastly, does either EPS or Gamedaysportsarchives carry Edge material for common jersey colours? I only ask this because cutting up a jersey seems foolish if the material is easily obtained.

Thanks.

EPS does carry it, but you may want to call and confirm the colors you want.

The back of the jersey is the correct material.

EPS does carry it, but you may want to call and confirm the colors you want.

The back of the jersey is the correct material.

So by back, do you mean the material in this area I've highlighted? Also, is this material the same for both Edge 1.0 and 2.0 jerseys?

Thanks for the help thus far.

q2u6s3w.jpg

So by back, do you mean the material in this area I've highlighted? Also, is this material the same for both Edge 1.0 and 2.0 jerseys?

Thanks for the help thus far.

Yes. And it's the same material on 1.0 and 2.0's.

Just a heads up but some teams had that back material go all the way up to where the rbk patch is unlike what is shown on that sens jersey. For teams that had it all the way up the nameplates were made of the material you have circled on both 1.0's and 2.0's. In the case of teams that had the jerseys cut like that Sens jersey (Pittsburgh is another team that comes to mind) you have to look at pictures of gamers to make sure what material was used. Since the material of the jersey where the nameplate attaches is different than that back material the teams could have used air-knit (for 2.0's) or whatever the arm areas are made of (on 1.0's)

Leafs 1.0 showing the difference

12179923195_9b91149211.jpg

So that's what a Leafs jersey looks like. I haven't seen one of those since early April. :P

The old Tampa jerseys were built the same way with that boring Edge template.

Yes. And it's the same material on 1.0 and 2.0's.

Hold on a second. That's not entirely correct, especially for teams like the Senators and Penguins, which currently have jersey designs where the back shoulder panel drops very low, and the nameplate goes on top of the shoulder panel, not on the back mesh panel.

On Sens and Penguins 2.0's, the shoulder panel is made of airknit, and the back panel is Edge stretch mesh. The nameplate is actually made out of airknit, not Edge mesh. I'm not sure about the Sens, but when the Pens used 1.0's, the nameplate was made out of the same x-trafil that the shoulder panel was made of. So for these teams, they DON'T use the same mesh material that you find on the back panel.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't see TMLFAN's post until after I already posted this.

Edited by LAK74

Hold on a second. That's not entirely correct, especially for teams like the Senators and Penguins, which currently have jersey designs where the back shoulder panel drops very low, and the nameplate goes on top of the shoulder panel, not on the back mesh panel.

On Sens and Penguins 2.0's, the shoulder panel is made of airknit, and the back panel is Edge stretch mesh. The nameplate is actually made out of airknit, not Edge mesh. I'm not sure about the Sens, but when the Pens used 1.0's, the nameplate was made out of the same x-trafil that the shoulder panel was made of. So for these teams, they DON'T use the same mesh material that you find on the back panel.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't see TMLFAN's post until after I already posted this.

What I said but explained much better-er

Next person to throw out a cheesy Leafs joke gets banned.

I wasn't saying they all used edge (the back) material for the nameplates. I was just saying that the back panels of the 1.0 and 2.0 are the same material.

Go Leafs!

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

not quite sure where to post this, but can somebody tell me if the Minnesota Wild are using edge or airknit material on their red home jerseys?

Thanks