Do you go through periods of high activity and then complete inactivity?

mfitz804

...I've got no jerseys incoming, nothing out being customized. Just a few for sale. I think I burned out in under a year.

I guess I'll see what happens when the season gets underway.

...I've got no jerseys incoming, nothing out being customized. Just a few for sale. I think I burned out in under a year.

I guess I'll see what happens when the season gets underway.

No doubt you do go through your ups and your downs. You have to pace yourself a bit. If you don't already, try to really narrow your collection to certain teams or players. I could go crazy on a number of different teams and players just to buy stuff, but I intently focus my collection to one area (the Sioux of course).

Sioux jerseys are among the most expensive jerseys out there, so I limit myself to just finding good deals. I never pay a price that I couldn't turn and burn a jersey today for at least what I paid for. It keeps me in check and makes it even more fun when you score. I have 50+ Sioux jerseys doing it this way and only feel bad about what I paid for on one of them. Sometimes you end up with 3-4 in a month, sometimes you go 6 months without getting any. The hunt is the fun part, which is why you're probably a bit bored or burned out. Once you have it, it's not as fun. So, find specific ways to limit yourself without limiting your fun.

All it takes is finding one awesome jersey for sale, or seeing something cool that you don't have on someone else's back and you'll be right back into it. Taking breaks is a good thing.

Edited by Big A HG

Definitely. We'd all be even more poor if there was always something on the way.

Granted I'm set for a while cuz apparently this order for the Union jerseys is going to take forever so I'll always have that in the pipeline! Haha

I'm in the process of cleaning out the "extra" stuff I have obtained and will focus on only the stuff on my want list, most of which rarely comes up for sale.

That's it for me, unless the Devs broke tradition and came out with a 3rd jersey.

I'm in the process of cleaning out the "extra" stuff I have obtained and will focus on only the stuff on my want list, most of which rarely comes up for sale.

That's it for me, unless the Devs broke tradition and came out with a 3rd jersey.

As long as Uncle Lou is calling the shots I don't think that'll ever happen

I often fall victim to the cycle... I get burned out and cynical and want to toss my shirts in the trash and cancel my eBay account and cancel my account on the forum (I still really want to quit eBay after all their new policy updates).

I've found lately that I find great enjoyment in doing trades with other collectors. I still get the excitement of getting a present from the USPS at my door, and I don't get the dread of having spent hundreds of dollars. Of course, there is still the negotiation sometimes if the trade is uneven, but I can live with it since it's for shirts and not for straight cash. Maybe you'll find similar enjoyment in trades.

I found I was never satisfied until I settled on a theme for the collection. I would buy as many jerseys as I could lay my hands on and never got them customized, as I could never make up my mind on what it was I was trying to achieve (plus the money was going on more blanks, rather than actually doing up the ones I have).

I would settle on a theme, then change it when I thought of another angle, all without ever getting truly started. It started with wanting one of every Rangers jersey since 1990 and I would customize them with as many different players as I could. Then it was third and fourth liners, to be a little different. Then it was players only drafted by or who made their league debuts with the club. Then it would only be rookie jerseys of those draftees. Then I would inevitably add exceptions. It got ridiculous and went around in circles.

So I finally settled on a smaller collection primarily focused on certain players and I would get rid of any duplicate jerseys that I owned (which were many because of my habit of buying up available blanks. Now I'm settled and have actually, finally, got round to regularly sending them off to EPS, etc. I found I'm a lot happier as a result and am happier to wait it out every now and then until a jersey I actually need comes up.

I kinda go back and forth. Sometimes I'll have a jersey or two coming in, sometimes it'll be vinyl instead.

As long as Uncle Lou is calling the shots I don't think that'll ever happen

Yup, he's saving me money every year!

I am getting burnt out on selling also. The few I am trying to move just aren't moving. Not sure if its because its the off season or whatever, but I really thought they'd be easier to sell.

I think it's fairly common to go through a slump during the off season. The mind wanders to things other than hockey. It's a travesty, but the truth.

I'll post some jerseys tomorrow that I've hoarded over the past months and hopefully that will help either 1. Fill the void temporarily or 2. Get you kickstarted back into spending money! :thumbsup: