diy lettering/customizing my own jerseys

After spending a while just replacing captain "C's" on some of my jerseys, I finally felt comfortable moving on to a full kit. I just finished sewing down my first one and, ######, that was fun and satisfying. By the time I got through the second back number, I was really rolling. I've got one more full kit on hand to finish, and I'm really confident now.

It was so worth it to decide to start trying this!

Will post results in the arrival thread soon...

Edited by blurryhaze312

I've been doing my own stuff for a while now. Using an iron to press down the arm numbers and captains c or a is easy enough but I always found it a major pita to do the back numbers because of their size. It just never seemed to stick on good enough a would always start coming off when feeding it through the sewing machine.

Anyways, I don't even bother with the iron anymore on back numbers. I bought some 3m spray adhesive and put some on the back off the number before putting it on the jersey. I do the nameplates with it too. Never have stuff move when I use the spray.

ive gone through part of my second kit and really feel like i hit my stride, working on a roenick sharks home kit from when he played, got the layers of his name done and the back numbers mostly done but i think i may have knocked out the orange on the 7 flawlessly, very proud of that one, i have a few small errors or i came off my line a bit on the 2 but the 7 looks perfect

2moPCcU.jpg?1

z7jF846.jpg

Looks good. Don't stress too much over getting the stitching absolutely perfect. Some of the work done on gamers I've seen look like they were stitched by a three year old.

What happened to the top layer of the 7 and where did the kit come from?

I just hadn't put it on yet, i just sewed the top layer on 10 minutes ago

vMiiGf5.jpg

I ordered the kits through a supplier, the roenick was a but more expensive cause it's not a current player I think it was like 35$

Does anybody know where to buy felt for numbers? I have a blank Senators Heritage Classic jersey that I got a decent deal on. I don't want to spend 100+ to get a Reebok Premier done up.

Second question, has anybody ordered Stahl's Senators kits for home/away jerseys? I've noticed a lot of places do Senators jerseys wrong. They are supposed to have a rounded black outline around the white number, with the white number being sharp. Instead, a lot of places do them with a sharp outline. I'm wondering if anybody who has a jersey done up with a Stahl's Senators kit could link to a photo.

Third and final question, does anybody know the name of the generic hockey font that is on a lot of jerseys. I know it's slightly different on each jersey, but this is the one I'm talking about.

source_663_68361.jpg

Thanks.

Edited by hockeyjerseyssuck

How did you keep the layers in place while sewing?

i use quilting spray, its just a sticky spray that you can place and remove the numbers until it is right

And the nice thing about those sprays are - so long as it says on the can - it will come out in the wash, so you don't have to worry about stains if you ever decide you want to strip in the future and recustomize.

• 3 months later...

The stitch is called a zig-zag stitch. The material the letters/numbers is made of is referred to as tackle twill.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I figured it would be easier to bring up an old one than start a new one. I'm looking to do some kits for a couple of jerseys and had a question. Would http://www.online-fabrics.co.uk/Fabrics-For-Backdrops/Polyester-Twill# this be fine to make the kits from? I'm in the UK, so getting material from Stahl's would be expensive.

I would say no, that's not what your looking for. The stuff your looking for should have some sort of adhesive backing that stuff just looks like regular fabric.

I would say no, that's not what your looking for. The stuff your looking for should have some sort of adhesive backing that stuff just looks like regular fabric.

Unfortunately I can't find any without the backing. Would I not just be able to use that and some spray adhesive?