Having the player sign a gamer

enzo269

I know that most think that the signing of a gamer by the player is not good and devalues the jersey.. However, how about the player signing the fight strap? Would that be a bit more acceptable and a good idea? Just curious as to what everyone's thoughts are..

If you personally want it signed without tarnishing the look of the jersey then it's a fine idea

Everyone has their own preferences, so some may want it on the number, but if you're unsure and you think you might sell it down the road the fight strap is the safer bet and i can't see anyone complaining about it

Just do it however you want it, it can always be removed later.

For example: ones I didnt personally get signed nor did I want signed so I had them taken out.

uArsPzQ.jpg

One that I actually wanted signed:

ellis-2.jpg

I think players are confused when they are asked to sign non visible parts on a jersey and frankly i get that. If you want a signature on your jersey but dont want it to be on the outside it seems somewhat pointless. Is the purpose to say that the player was at one point reunited with their own jersey?

Getting an 8x10 signed of the player wearing the jersey seems much more logical.

For those who want the inside signed for whatever reason at least go with inside the jersey where the front crest is. Gives the player more space for a proper signature.

Signing a fight strap is not only awkward but makes authenticating hard as its a lumpy texture and players arent usually the most careful with their penmanship to begin with.

I had a bad experience with a player signing behind the crest of his gamer a while back. The auto ran off the crest and you could see the black marker through the white jersey. I had to end up sending it away to get removed.

E9372C3B-3FE4-4120-A2FA-CC42C2FB35CE-516

A3154809-29EE-45B4-AC27-078A0D20DF31-516

0D2165E7-1FC1-4C2B-8432-25FBD87B95F3-957

It's my opinion that you can do whatever you want with regards to gamers and signatures. But one thing to consider is if you do get a jersey signed on the outside you will be cutting down on the prospective buyers in the future.

I only have one gamer signed, I originally was going to get my Gagne SCF Banner signed on the fight strap but when it came time I had him sign the numbers. I have no plans on selling it

I'm not a signature collector, but if you get something signed, don't you want to display it? I don't much see the point of obtaining a signature where it can't be seen, like on the fight strap.

The answer is pretty clear, how important is re-sale value to you? If you are never going to sell it, get it signed wherever. If you are worried about keeping it in "on-ice" condition, don't get it signed.

For non gamers, you could always strip the numbers and replace them later, so its a non-issue.

If it's a jersey you don't think you'll ever want to sell, just do what you want with it. Whether that means getting the inside or outside signed.

As far as maintaining the integrity of the jersey if you intend to sell it and get the most money, no signature at all is probably best, followed by a non-visible signature somewhere on the inside such as behind the crest.

This is just my opinion and I'm not bashing anyone who differs (and be warned, I am going to come across as harsh). But, I just fail to see the point of an autograph in any way, shape, or form. To me, autographs are just about the dumbest things one could collect of an athlete or celebrity...ESPECIALLY if you weren't even the one who acquired it.

If I happen to run into someone at least reasonably famous, at most I ask for a picture (depending on the situation). Some of the time I'll politely say hi, the rest of the time I just leave them alone.

Sorry for my crazy side of the argument. B)

Thanks for all the great comments gents.. Much appreciated

This is just my opinion and I'm not bashing anyone who differs (and be warned, I am going to come across as harsh). But, I just fail to see the point of an autograph in any way, shape, or form. To me, autographs are just about the dumbest things one could collect of an athlete or celebrity...ESPECIALLY if you weren't even the one who acquired it.

If I happen to run into someone at least reasonably famous, at most I ask for a picture (depending on the situation). Some of the time I'll politely say hi, the rest of the time I just leave them alone.

Agreed. Even a self obtained autograph doesn't hold value, as serious collectors who would pay money require a COA.

Living in New York and having worked in a very upscale mall in New Jersey, I've run into my fair share of celebrities (including athletes). I always enjoy playing a game, talk to them but make them think I don't know who they are. Some of them can't handle it.

I agree. I don't see the point of an autographs period. They just don't appeal to me. I probably wouldn't speak to my favourite player if I ran into them on the street because I think their need for personal space outweighs my need to tell them that Matt Cooke is a and I hope their Achilles tendon feels better in time to score 90 points this season......

But other people don't feel that way, which is fine. I think if OP owns the jersey with the intention of keeping it forever for his own enjoyment, and he would enjoy having it autographed, whether that be on the outside where it's visible, or just on the inside somewhere, he should go for it. It's his jersey. But if his intention is to maintain the jersey's "integrity" for a potential resale down the line, he probably would want to get something different autographed.

I am not a big fan of autographs either....the signed jerseys I do have are not because I wanted them signed, but they were jerseys I needed in my collection which happened to be signed....

I personally would not have a player sign a gamer....I would want the game worn to be in its original condition.....however if I do meet a player, I would get an autograph, just on something else like a photo or a puck or something like that....