RETURN OF THE IHL!!!

http://www.ihl-hockey.com/

The UHL officially changed their name to the International Hockey League. I have to say I am stoked about this, as I grew up watching the IHL. I'm hoping Indianapolis puts a team back in the "I". They are only starting with six teams, The Bloomington Prairie Thunder, Ft. Wayne Komets, Kalamazoo Wings, Port Huron Ice Hawks, Flint Generals, and Muskegon Fury, but I'm sure that'll grow in the future. I hated to see the old IHL die, but with the way they boomed in the mid-90s, it was almost inevitable.

I remember watching the Muskegon Lumberjacks, Kalamazoo Wings and Fort Wayne Komets play against the Roadrunners in the old IHL. I only mention that because Muskegon, Kalamazoo and Fort Wayne have teams in the new IHL.

I don't really like it when a league runs out an old name trying for a quick credibility grab they haven't earned. They better not lay claim to the Turner Cup.

I remember watching the Muskegon Lumberjacks, Kalamazoo Wings and Fort Wayne Komets play against the Roadrunners in the old IHL. I only mention that because Muskegon, Kalamazoo and Fort Wayne have teams in the new IHL.

Flint Spirits too...the 2nd ever game I went to in Indianapolis was against Flint, now the Generals.

I remember watching the Muskegon Lumberjacks

Here is a story for you.

Growing up I was a Pens fan. When the Lumberjacks would come to play the Albany Choppers in Albany NY (where I grew up), my dad always made sure we would go and even got me into the dressing room once to meet the guys. My dad is a huge fan of roundabout road trips and decided that instead of going to Pitt to see the Pens (which would be the rational thing to do), we would travel 12+ hours through the hinterlands of Canada to see the Lumberjacks play. We did just that, going to Muskegon and watched the game in that great factory town (at least that's what I remember it being like). If I remember right, they skated out to "The Boys Are Back In Town". Let me tell you, I was a hockey fan before that, but that road trip made me hardcore.

I don't really like it when a league runs out an old name trying for a quick credibility grab they haven't earned.

I can understand your point. I think the UHL was previously the Colonial Hockey League prior to becoming the "U". I hated to see the IHL go by the wayside, it was a decent pro league at its height. The UHL has a lot to live up to, IMO.

I'm real happy to see the IHL back. I grew up on the IHL, watching the Cincinnati Cyclones. I also saw some great brawls, too. I remember when I was really little, a few weeks before the ASG in Cincinnati, I saw a brawl between the Cleveland Lumberjacks and the Cyclones, that involved the benches being cleared and jerseys and pads being removed. Ahh, the good old days. My uncle was also a stick boy for the Dayton Gems. I've inherited his 1970s puck collection. There's some pretty cool stuff there.

I'm real happy to see the IHL back. I grew up on the IHL, watching the Cincinnati Cyclones. I also saw some great brawls, too. I remember when I was really little, a few weeks before the ASG in Cincinnati, I saw a brawl between the Cleveland Lumberjacks and the Cyclones, that involved the benches being cleared and jerseys and pads being removed. Ahh, the good old days. My uncle was also a stick boy for the Dayton Gems. I've inherited his 1970s puck collection. There's some pretty cool stuff there.

Ahh, I remember good memories with the Ice's rivalry with the Cyclones. In the first round of the playoffs in 99, the section of Ice fans I was in was bantering back and forth with the Cyclones fans in the next section, who were riding our new goalie and the Cyclones old goalie, Geoff Sarjeant. It was a lot of fun, until of course some fans up high nearly came to blows and the cops were called in. Those were some great games between the two.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I don't really like it when a league runs out an old name trying for a quick credibility grab they haven't earned. They better not lay claim to the Turner Cup.

They laid claim to the Turner Cup and got it...

http://www.ihl-hockey.com/index.php?option...82&Itemid=1

This will be the fourth time in IHL history that the Turner Cup has been rebuilt using the same name. With over a half century of operation, the Turner Cup will remain the prestigious award that the championship team will raise at center ice. Solidifying the name of the Turner Cup is the IHL’s way of honoring Joe Turner and the rich tradition of the old IHL. The Turner Cup has been the definitive award for the International Hockey League for 56 seasons.