Penguins unveil 2014-15 alternate jersey - Return of Pittsburgh gold

Nas

I figured I'd make a topic specifically for this.

As a lot of you know, the Pens unveiled the alternate sweater they'll be wearing 12 times this season.

0Mzh7CL.jpg

5bdQ97p.jpg

kd7rG4a.jpg

g5cj19f.jpg

As everyone knows, these are based off of the black road jerseys worn during the years the Pens won two consecutive cups in 1991 and 92.

Pittsburgh-Penguins-1992-Stanley-Cup-Cha

Like the 91/92 throwback they've been selling for the past few years, the crest logo is slightly different than what it actually was. Though, I think they were just going with the general look, and they successfully accomplished that. This is not only the return of the classic jersey, but of the shade of gold, called Pittsburgh gold, to the team since 2002. And yet another successful attempt at a traditional style jersey on the Edge template. The jersey is now available online and at the PensGear store inside the ConsolEnergy center.

0lC5dmp.jpg

I expect the jerseys and other throwback merch to sell hot, and people will love to see these out on the ice again, including myself. I was hoping it would be the gold jersey the team wore in the 80s, but oh well. I was also sort of hoping for something new, or even something with the RoboPen on it, but with Lemieux owning the team, I doubted that. I was also kind of underwhelmed considering they've been selling this jersey as a throwback for a few years, but nevertheless, it's going to be exciting having Pittsburgh gold on the ice again. I am currently wearing one of the throwbacks. It is blank, and not an Edge, so I think I'll pick one of these up one day.

These are the dates it will be worn, one time on the road.

GSFdI5u.png

Edited by Nas

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the picture of the store the jerseys in the front have the green neck tagging. I sure hope we are not seeing the indo edge make a comeback.

After looking at it for the last few hours, I've decided that they could have bumped the white and black horizontal stripes down a few inches to minimize the strange, long yellow tail at the end. It feels awkward.

The price that all traditional jerseys pay with the new Edge template- curved hems. I guess that makes it easier to tell real jerseys from fake ones (I've seen some "Edge" jerseys on eBay with flat hems).

Looking at the picture of the store the jerseys in the front have the green neck tagging. I sure hope we are not seeing the indo edge make a comeback.

I don't think the Indos ever went away, as we were hoping. Fresh Indo stocks seem to be available for most teams, if not all.

Edited by LAK74

I already e-mailed the Baron this morning. Can't wait to get my hands on a 2.0

ETA: J_B said he's hoping to have 2.0s before the season, said he would he message me when he knows for sure

Edited by PensFan77

This is a huge step in the right direction for the Penguins uniforms as a whole. I can't wait to see this take over as the home sweater and the likely introduction of a white road and gold third.

This is a huge step in the right direction for the Penguins uniforms as a whole. I can't wait to see this take over as the home sweater and the likely introduction of a white road and gold third.

Slow down, man!!!!

This is Reebok we're talking about! :P

"After looking at it for the last few hours, I've decided that they could have bumped the white and black horizontal stripes down a few inches to minimize the strange, long yellow tail at the end. It feels awkward."

Yeah, I toally agree- it looks cool nevertheless

"Slow down, man!!!!
This is Reebok we're talking about! :P"

Until 2016 when it become Under Armour (?)

Edited by Cygnus X-1

After looking at it for the last few hours, I've decided that they could have bumped the white and black horizontal stripes down a few inches to minimize the strange, long yellow tail at the end. It feels awkward.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hem the back like the Rangers did to their home jerseys when the Edge jerseys first came out.

it´s nice.......but i still like the style crosby wore in his rookie season better......Jagr era style was also better imo

I don't know if it's a product of NHL 98 for the PS1 being my entry as a hockey fan, but I like the "Robo" Penguin logo best.

Vintage jerseys seem to be in now, so it is probably a smart idea for them to bring back the design that they chose. They are going to sell a billion Crosby jerseys.

From what I've been told by a team store worker they don't have authentics in stock yet

Maybe they sold out, but they definitely have the authentics (Indo-Edge) in the picture there.

If you were talking about 2.0's, then yea.

I e-mailed Pro Knitwear about getting one customized after J_B gets the 2.0s. I got an e-mail back a few minutes ago for those interested, $52 and approximately 2.5 weeks turnaround time upon receipt of jersey

Not a bad jersey. Generally I am opposed to black jerseys but, this is a nice design. If Pittsburgh makes this into their regular home, creates a white road version, and a yellow third version - they would have a nice set of jerseys.

I think these are a great step in the right direction for jersey designs in the NHL, but if you already have an early 1990's CCM ultrafil (roughly the same price since JB will probably be charging about $400, then factor customization costs), there is no need to add one of these. As much as I love them, these are on the bottom of my list of must-haves until game-issues start showing up for under $200.

Us small people don't have the GI luxury. :doh:

JJDistributing said there will only be one set worn this season and that most the jerseys are already reserved, but you know that once these become the regular home jerseys, maybe a couple of years from now, they will have game-issued no-names for far less. I know having patience sucks, but you know these will turn up eventually.

You can find size 46-50 though with that method :(

Sorry. Didn't realize you really meant "small people".

Edited by thebiggoalie