The Fisherman returns - Islanders wearing Mid-90's throwback this season

Nas

http://www.icethetics.co/blog/2014/10/6/islanders-resurrect-the-fisherman-for-final-season-in-nassau

New-York-Islanders-Fisherman-Jersey-1995

Welp...this is something I don't think any one of us would have ever expected, the Islanders are going to bring back a controversial era from their wardrobe. For at least one game, the team will wear special throwback jerseys based off of the infamous Gorton's Fisherman jersey during the pre-game, for their last season playing at Nassau. Read: it won't be worn during the actual game, only pre-game.

I know this is going to get a very mixed reaction. I personally like the colors and design of the jerseys that were made among the wild flock of crazy 90s jerseys. I don't really want them to go back to them as full-time home/away sweaters, but I'd like it to be an alternate one of these days. Strangely, these will only be worn pre-game. What do you all think of this? If you hate those jerseys, do you think it's a lot less offensive to the team that they won't be wearing it during the game?

Yea it's a bummer that they won't wear them for the game and only for warm-ups.

Also worth noting, it is a modernization of the logo... And no mention of the jersey itself. So it's not going to be the old fisherman jersey exactly.

Wouldn't mind seeing them as a full time alternate.

Considering the past two unflatering designs. (black base & orange base) I think these were actually better in retrospect.

I don't understand what's the point wearing them only pre game. Also, why then make them available to the public, when they're only worn in pre game. Just a way to make some money… :noway: Though, it'll be interesting to see, how many will be sold.

Edited by jolmari

Maybe as part of a pre-game ceremony they will wear the jerseys during warm-up and once warm-ups are done they will one by one take off the jersey and dump them into a big garbage can at center ice. Once all the jerseys are in the garbage Tavares will skate by and light it on fire.

Look at what's already in stock at the NYI store.

HR20YQ5.jpg

Those were in there since September. The team store also has a few other fisherman items (pucks, novelty sticks, a banner with logos, and a banner with anniversary patches)

I'm definitely in the minority here but I actually liked them! The 'swoosh' of the shoulders and waist are a bit much, and I can definitely see how the logo puts people off, but... I've just always kind of liked them. Had a replica I sold on eBay a few years ago, actually. I say wear them in the game!

I'm definitely in the minority here but I actually liked them! The 'swoosh' of the shoulders and waist are a bit much, and I can definitely see how the logo puts people off, but... I've just always kind of liked them. Had a replica I sold on eBay a few years ago, actually. I say wear them in the game!

I like them as well, but I don't know if it would feel right to have the Fisherman the full-time home/away jerseys again. At least as an alternate, I'd still be happy. But I don't think the organization is thinking about getting rid of their current home/away unis any time soon.

This would get me to buy an Islanders jersey. I'd buy a fitted cap, too. Good work ya scrubs, finally good for something lol.